Allpar Forums banner

Charger SRT Banshee Concept to be a 4 door?

7518 61
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle
Look at this image. Judging from this image you can see a clear size difference between the new Charger SRT Banshee concept and the current Challenger. To me this clearly shows that the new Charger concept will morph to a 4 door for the production vehicle.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
View attachment 90424 Look at this image. Judging from this image you can see a clear size difference between the new Charger SRT Banshee concept and the current Challenger. To me this clearly shows that the new Charger concept will morph to a 4 door for the production vehicle.
That’s what I believe too, I believe 4 door would sell much better regardless of what the 2-door purest say. They could do both but I doubt that they will.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Could it be the Charger will be a 4door and 2 door? That would allow the Challenger to be smaller and more nimble.
Not that I believe this will be the case, there can be a case (and a precedent) for Charger becoming the Dodge sub-brand, line Wagoneer is to Jeep now. Want a 2-door EV, Get the Charger. Want 4 door muscle? Get the Charger L. Need even more room? Get the Charger X.

As far as Challenger, I think we will be hard-pressed to see it go the way of Mustang with the 2 door coupe and the Mach-E CUV.

Now, until things change, we will certainly be getting ICE power in some form with the Hurricane, so the question remains is whether Challenger stays ICE-powered, or they are twins again (identical powertrains).

An interesting thought might be this (based on my earlier speculation that Challenger will be hybrid, and Charger becomes BEV): What if there will be 2 Halo Dodge variants in a few years. We get the Banshee for the Charger, but Challenger gets a 3.0 Hurricane TT with PHEV. That could be enough to be at least faster than the original Hellcat, while still retaining the visceral feeling of a powerful combustion engine.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Not really sold on sub branding, especially when Dodge has just 3 models. Bring back the Magnum. Let it be a slightly raised wagon (But please dont call it a crossover). Bring back the Stealth as a C sized shooting brake (2-door hatch) and use the innovative roof/hatch blend from the Magnum. The Shadow would be a wonderful name to bring back but I would have used it on a Hornet sized suv.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So the Next Gen Cars are getting ICE's so that means the Next Gen Cars are not really on "STLA Large" but STLA Giorgio thats found on new the Grand Turismo and Grecale?. becase i was under the impression that STLA large is BEV only.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
So the Next Gen Cars are getting ICE's so that means the Next Gen Cars are not really on "STLA Large" but STLA Giorgio thats found on new the Grand Turismo and Grecale?. becase i was under the impression that STLA large is BEV only.
Tavares added that by 2025, 98% of models in Europe and 96% of models in the U.S. would be available with electrified powertrain options; either BEVs, PHEVs, or HEVs. As shown below, by the end of the decade, all Stellantis models in Europe and the U.S. would have battery-electric alternatives.

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ralph said in the TFL interview that the Charger design is not possible with a ICE. I think this will be a BEV only.
I agree, but I too think their will be ICE and Possibly PHEV versions on the STLA Giorgio platform. The ICE version might get same names or possibly new names, perhaps a Cornet 4-door, Cuda 2-door and perhaps a Magnum CUV coupe. Possibly Hurricane 2.0T replacing Pentasutar entry level. Hurricane TT I6 on performance ICE and PHEV models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ralph said in the TFL interview that the Charger design is not possible with a ICE. I think this will be a BEV only.
At about the 6:30 mark of the video, Ralph responded to the possibility of making the same car with "a big honkin' V8" in that the car would not be as sleek. He said nothing about a I6, V6 or I4 hybrid because he was not asked. At about the 1:02 mark, Ralph said that this vehicle would "replace the Charger and Challenger". At about the 6:44 mark, Ralph stated that he was given the direction to keep the production model as close to the concept as possible however at about the 7:12 mark he stated that they wanted "something our community can afford". A full carbon fiber tub would probably price the car outside that target. The side view mirrors will be quick casualties unless Federal approval of side view cameras happen before production. The Banshee will probably exist as the top end of a line of vehicles with less exotic materials being used to craft models that the Dodge customer base would find financially acceptable. Given this car is supposedly one model year away, it seems that either Dodge is keeping a whole lot of things secret or they are making this s#!t up as they go in the hopes that something viable comes out the other end.

Would it make sense to quickly craft some Dodge models based on the Peugeot 508 wagon (Magnum) and/or the 308 (Avenger/Neon/Duster)? Sure. Will it happen? Probably not.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,223 Posts
I'd think anything based on Peugeots would end up as Chryslers, but they seem to be going all electric, so it's quite possible that road will not be taken. Given that gasoline cars may be transitional at this point, I can understand that. (Assuming next generation batteries coming in 2024 resolve most issues.)

The problem with engineering for both BEV and ICE is it won't do either very well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Behind a paywall but maybe someone here has a subscription. View attachment 90461
I don't have a subscription but if you read HTML code, you can find the full story.

This APS forecasting group basically says that the Windsor Assembly Plant would host STLA Large mainly for BEV's and that Stellantis has not disclosed any future product mandates for Brampton or Windsor. Also that the next-generation Charger and Challenger will be built exclusively in Windsor likely with battery-electric, hybrid and ICE powertrains, while some unknown BEV Jeep model was planned for Brampton. Also sounds like the new Charger Challenger cars may share platforms with the next-generation minivan?

Even the union hasn't been told but expects the details to come up during contract talks expected next year.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Could it be the Charger will be a 4door and 2 door? That would allow the Challenger to be smaller and more nimble.
Not saying your wrong, but the data gathered from buyers of the Challenger are always strongly in favor of keeping it a large muscle car. I really hope Dodge listens to the people who make the Challenger profitable and not the outsiders who complain but wouldn’t buy the product even if it were exactly built to their demands.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts