Allpar Forums banner

Charger SRT Banshee Concept to be a 4 door?

8063 Views 61 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  MoparJoe
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle
Look at this image. Judging from this image you can see a clear size difference between the new Charger SRT Banshee concept and the current Challenger. To me this clearly shows that the new Charger concept will morph to a 4 door for the production vehicle.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Ralph said in the TFL interview that the Charger design is not possible with a ICE. I think this will be a BEV only.
I took that to mean this model of the Charger (ie. with the “R wing). The hood/fascia would need to be tradition to make room for a radiator.

Reactions: DC-93 and maxwell58

· Well-Known Jeeper
1,144 Posts
Just like what Ford did to let the new Mustang to keep the V8, Stellantis will use credits earned from EV sales to support the V8 ICE program.

I do not believe Dodge will delete the V8 option for the next gen Charger and Challenger, as long as the Mustang offers V8.
The V8's are gone. But the new inline six will be in the mix, I believe. I otherwise agree with you that there will certainly be ICE models of the large Dodges for some time to come. Right now they want to make a splash with all the EV concepts. I get that.

Reactions: LXbuilder

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Just like what Ford did to let the new Mustang to keep the V8, Stellantis will use credits earned from EV sales to support the V8 ICE program.

I do not believe Dodge will delete the V8 option for the next gen Charger and Challenger, as long as the Mustang offers V8.
Im pretty sure that "New" Mustang is really a major refresh of the last one as it seems they have not made any effort in electrification for that platform.

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,818 Posts
Im pretty sure that "New" Mustang is really a major refresh of the last one as it seems they have not made any effort in electrification for that platform.
My cousin was at Dearborn for the unveiling. He and his lady friend were both married to Ford employees so they got an invite. His lady has a Mustang and both were disappointed. He said it's nothing more then a facelift. But since it's Ford they'll successfully market it as all new. FCA needs to poach some of their marketing people. They know how to put lipstick on a pig.

· Paper Tag Rubicon
1,078 Posts
A writer at Hagerty wrote about being disappointed. He feels the car is just an evolution with an out of place new tech interior.

· Paper Tag Rubicon
1,078 Posts
At least Ford is refreshing it. Challenger, Charger, and 300 never got that courtesy for so many years.
911 enthusiasts complain about that all the time. I won't speak for 300, although I still see it as a handsome car. Perhaps slightly less for Charger but Challenger came back with a timeless look that doesn't need radical updating. The important bits that it make it function get updated. The Challenger buyer doesn't want change they want familiar. A fuel injected HEMI trip down Memory Lane and for those who missed it the first time around a muscle car experience.

· Super Moderator
21,334 Posts
911 enthusiasts complain about that all the time. I won't speak for 300, although I still see it as a handsome car. Perhaps slightly less for Charger but Challenger came back with a timeless look that doesn't need radical updating. The important bits that it make it function get updated. The Challenger buyer doesn't want change they want familiar. A fuel injected HEMI trip down Memory Lane and for those who missed it the first time around a muscle car experience.
But the lack up updates is exactly why I bought used instead of new. They lost a new car sale and everyone thinks I have a new car, not a 7 year old car.

· Registered
2020 Challenger ScatPack; 2012 Fiat 500 Sport; 1983 Dodge Ramcharger; 1948 Dodge Pickup (Hot Rod)
147 Posts
Charger will be a two-door and four-door. No more Challenger Production will be at Windsor Assembly, The Charger was originally supposed to launch as a two door BEV with the I-6 plug-ins to follow, but that's changed. The Charger will launch as a two-door and four-door plug-in hybrid with the new I-6. The full BEV Charger may be delayed up to a year after the PHEV launches first.

· Registered
482 Posts
Charger will be a two-door and four-door. No more Challenger Production will be at Windsor Assembly, The Charger was originally supposed to launch as a two door BEV with the I-6 plug-ins to follow, but that's changed. The Charger will launch as a two-door and four-door plug-in hybrid with the new I-6. The full BEV Charger may be delayed up to a year after the PHEV launches first.
So I got two things from that:

1) after me calling them Coronets since 2006, they’re becoming even more… Coronet-ish… (2 or 4 door…)

2) they’re gonna sell a 2 door with the ability to swap in a V-8. Let’s face it, if it comes with 6 cylinder, someone will very quickly upgrade it.

Time to dust off my engine stand and buy a new cherry picker…

· Registered
1,744 Posts
So I got two things from that:

1) after me calling them Coronets since 2006, they’re becoming even more… Coronet-ish… (2 or 4 door…)

2) they’re gonna sell a 2 door with the ability to swap in a V-8. Let’s face it, if it comes with 6 cylinder, someone will very quickly upgrade it.

Time to dust off my engine stand and buy a new cherry picker…
To your point. I remember the online community scrambling to swap a Hellcat into the Gladiator. Like it was a race on who can finish first.

· Registered
83 Posts
I'm surprised by the hybrid launching before the EV, I would think they would want the BEV first for press. But other than that this makes sense. The side view on the charger looks a lot like it would be either a 2 or 4 door hardtop. I wonder if they do anything with the challenger.

· Paper Tag Rubicon
1,078 Posts
I'm surprised by the hybrid launching before the EV, I would think they would want the BEV first for press. But other than that this makes sense. The side view on the charger looks a lot like it would be either a 2 or 4 door hardtop. I wonder if they do anything with the challenger.
Not having Challenger seems negligent, then again we live in a world where people don't buy cars. They buy soulless nondescript CUV.

· Registered
12,380 Posts
Reactions: MoparJoe

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,581 Posts
Depending on lead time for nameplates, they could switch back to two door = Challenger at any time. The only reasons to consolidate both as Chargers, as far as I can tell, are to reduce costs (no need for different styling, nameplates, ads) and to make the sales figures look better.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Even when they've had two different stylings, it hasn't stopped them from using the same name. 2001 Stratus Coupe/Sedan vs the Avenger/Stratus in 1999.
Having the same styling obviously doesn't preclude them from using different names. Pacifica/Voyager LHS/New Yorker

41 - 60 of 62 Posts