Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I understand the edict that the Turbo engine was limited to usage on the Carroll Shelby-endorsed Dodge Shelby Charger (Shelby Charger minus the "Dodge" marque for the last 1000 units produced in 1987 under the auspices of Shelby himself) exclusively, I would like to know whether or not any of you here have ever bought a Charger 2.2 (or Turismo 2.2 if you like the Plymouth brand) with a 2.2L "Turbo 1" as a customer-specified dealer option (instead of "by the brochures")?

Meaning, have you Charger/Turismo fans wanted a Turbo engine from the Shelby Charger, but without all the other Shelby-exclusive amenities?

Thank you,

Ben Edge

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Before I bought my Turbo Omni, Feb, 22 ,1986, I had a friend who worked as a sales manager at a Plymouth dealer. He tried everything he could think of to get the a Turbo engine in a Plymouth L body but was unable to make it happen. The H.O. Shelby 2.2 with carb was available on Plymouth L bodys but no Turbo. I saw pictures of a Turbo Turismo Prototype on line recently that some Plymouth engineers built to try and convince management to make them available but that's as far as it got.

Thanks
Randy

http://www.princetonautobody.com/cuda.htm

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
There was talk of a Turismo 'Barracuda' with a turbo, but that was shot down. As mentioned, the high-performance 2.2L was as far as the Turismo went. To many shared options between brands caused them to lose their identities and individualism.
Dodge was the 'performance' and truck brand. Chrysler was the 'luxury' brand and Plymouth was the 'value' brand. Chryslers and Plymouths were sold at the same store, if you wanted a turbo you bought a Chrysler Laser.
When Jeep came, that gave Chrysler-Plymouth stores a 'truck'. I felt that we got into trouble when the various models blurred the lines and lost their 'uniqueness'. The differences merged and became bland.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also wonder if the Caravelle 2.2L Turbo engine was a definite no-no for the Turismo 2.2/Duster (because, Carroll Shelby would have complained anyway)?

~Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts