Allpar Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
As the saying goes, "Necessity is the mother of invention." It looks good. I wish I had thought of it when the headliner was dropping in my Acclaim.

Reguarding getting the board out...I see you got bucket seats in the car, why not simply lower the seats and work the board out? Now if it is bench, simply take the seat out. Im having my 81 Reliant re done in the right color this year and I gotta remove the plastic trim and take the seat out.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Discussion starter · #25 ·
mopark said:
Reguarding getting the board out...I see you got bucket seats in the car, why not simply lower the seats and work the board out? Now if it is bench, simply take the seat out. Im having my 81 Reliant re done in the right color this year and I gotta remove the plastic trim and take the seat out.
to be honest, the wooden dowels work just fine for me. they're basically invisible to the driver and front passsenger, since they're not in 'the line of sight' when getting into the car or driving. they ARE in full view for the rear passengers, but they're few and far between. and the end result looks surprisingly good imho, considering how cheap, quick, and simple it is

i'd be interested in hearing how your headliner removal/installation works out. good luck :)

slim slow slider said:
Great! Got them up. My van looks fantanstic! Thanks for sharing the suggestion for all to see.
How's the rebuild going, Mike? I know you're up and running again, but was just wondering what the latest is.

I was just checking out this older thread and though that a pretty ingenious way to get a sagging liner to stay up. I need to do the headliner in my 87 Aries. Im annoyed how without the visors up the liner lays against my hair and turens me into walking static electric.

I never heard of sealing the board before reading it in this thread. That's not a bad idea considering the board itself can also deteriorate. I took a ride of to the local Joannes Fabric today to take a look at the tan headliner materail they carry. I was hoping they carried more colors but they told me they now only have Tan, Gray and Black. I actually need Tan so I think I'll end up just getting it there. Its annoying because I have a 50% off coupon but they have it indefinitely on sale for $13.99 per yard, vs regular price of $14.99. That stinks and I think its intentional so you cant use a 40 or 50% off coupon.

However, they have have high temperature headliner adhesive..which they boast is Professional Quality. I didnt see it walking around but the website shows its in stock...guess I didn't see it or something. Who knows, maybe is as good as 3m or better. It goes for $19.99 a can (item # 7795040) and since its not on sale I should be able to grab that for about $10 bucks with my coupon. I never used their adhesive, but it is marked as high temperature, which is necessary for longevity... if you want the headliner to stay put, when its hot inside the car. http://www.joann.com/headliner-spray-glue/7795040.html#q=headliner&start=5

Has anyone here tried their spray adhesive? Its certainly not the cheap general adhesive stuff floating for 12 bucks a can. I think I'm going to head over there tomorrow and get the material and glue... and hopefully repair it this weekend.

That's one way to do it. I find it better to simply take it down to the upholsterer and have them redo it. The foam rubber the material attaches to eventually deteriorates from the heat and falls apart, repairs just don't last, the foam rubber powders over time. I did 2 Dakota pickups, about $75 to get redone, car should be around double or less.
In 1985 I had a 2 door 1979 chevy malibu with the sagging headliner. I took to a shop and they said $60 I said go for it. When I went to pick up my car I saw what they did...
Instead of replacing the headliner with a factory replacement they replace it with red vinyl ( I had a red headliner) The vinyl had a texture like a vinly roof and surprisingly it looked quite good and I even gained some head room. I had this done in early fall and I sold it in late spring so I don't know what the summer heat did to it because they placed the vinyl against the bare metal roof. LOL

When I lived in Tampa in 1998, I bought a daily driver beater, a 1991 Geo Prism. Last repair done was a headliner. My buddy told me about an upholstery shop near by that was real good in street rods/custom cars and reasonable. Took in the car at 8:00am and picked up at 1:00pm for $60. Great job. lasted until went to the crusher in california in 2008. Also, when I owned a 1986 Reliant SE 4 dr, had the headliner under warranty for defect and the body shop guys had it in and out in about 1 1/2 hours through the doors. No removing any windshield!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.