Allpar Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy... An early challenge for Stellantis? Can't say I didn't think it would come eventually.

For the first time, the Cherokee Nation is asking Jeep to change the name of its Cherokee and Grand Cherokee vehicles.

“I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, told Car and Driver in a written statement responding to our request for comment on the issue. "The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture, and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness."

Cherokee Nation's Chief Says 'It's Time' Jeep Stops Using Name

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
My Choice?...Revive the name 'Adventurer' if they currently own the name, and didn't let it get away!
Well, at one time it was to be the name of a new SUV built off the Ram 1500, but never came to be. I don't see why it should be a problem for them. They flush established names like Grand Caravan down the toilet all the time.

·
Not an insider !
1,381 Posts
I also am not surprised, and a Cherokee owner.
I don't like cultural appropriation, good or bad this is part of society's evolution.
Perhaps someday we will be in a place when the Jeep Cherokee will return ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
They missed a damn good exit ramp out of this when they should have named the Grand Cherokee L the “Wagoneer” and all versions of the Wagoneer the “Grand Wagoneer”. I really think that would have made for better marketing anyhow. Then they could gradually ease the later introduction short wheelbase Grand Cherokee away from”Grand Cherokee“ to something else like “Chevelle” eventually became “Malibu” a year and a trim level at a time.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I wonder when they expect the Army to do the same for helicopters.
Mmmm, ".....I smell another royalty deal.....", as Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank frequently says.

That's where all the Native American Tribes have screwed up, instead of making someone or some company stop using any references to them, the Tribe just needs to come to a $ agreement, where that person or company can continue to use the reference, for the right amount $.

Everything is for sale, and everything has a price, and that's the free enterprise system way of doing things.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Funny how I was criticized for making the point that Jeep should avoid use of Native American names in earlier threads on this forum. This should be a surprise to no one.
Maybe The Chief read your post, and that reinvigorated the uproar.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I also am not surprised, and a Cherokee owner.
I don't like cultural appropriation, good or bad this is part of society's evolution.
Perhaps someday we will be in a place when the Jeep Cherokee will return ?
What is the difference between cultural appropriation and paying homage?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If Tavares is smart, he will meet with this man and see if an agreement can be worked out. I have little to no Indian blood in me, so I don't know what it's like, whether an honor, or not with the Cherokee name. They could just go back and call it what it used to be, Jeep Station Wagon. While I don't think that's good, you can't get any more generic then that.

·
Jeepaholic
5,721 Posts
If they’re willing to take it, pay them a licensing fee for using the name (it is their name, after all). It seems like it could be a win-win. Unless of course paying the fee wipes out the “margins” for Cherokee...with all the frequent rebates and incentives, that may be hard to calculate. Lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe if they choose to rename Cherokee, it can be renamed Liberty and Grand Cherokee, Commander. Or Commander and Grand Commander.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Grand Cherokee is integral part of Jeep image down especially outside of US.
LOL. More Eurocentric nonsense from you

US Sales
Grand Cherokee

European sales
Grand Cherokee

Grand Cherokee sales outside of the US are an afterthought.

Jeep sales in Europe are about Renegade/Compass. Sales of other models are under 10K a year, a mere rounding error of US sales.

Figures from carsalesbase.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.