Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isnt exactly a technical question but dose anyone know if you can put a toddlers car seat in a 99 Dakota extra cab? two door, we would like to put it in the rear facing forward on the bench seat, we dont have an owners manual with ours and dont see any place for the rear teather strap to anchor, obviously if it cant be done safley or isnt recommened we would not do it as we have other options, thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I own a '92 club cab, which is a slightly different cab. Nevertheless, we were able to secure all types of child seats in our truck. The infant seat faces rearward, and we used the center lap belt with the brass clip from the seat to secure its length. The head of the infant seat rested securely against the arm rest.

For the next level forward-facing car seat, the lap belt also worked fine, and the upright rear cab wall ensured that the car seat could not pitch forward or back. In both cases, tighten the lap belt enough so that pulling on the car seat rocks the truck. And always use the brass seat belt clip that comes with the seat. If you lost it, they're $5 at Target in the baby section.

We are now on the backless booster seat, which has no harness of its own. It uses the combination lap/shoulder belt in either corner of the rear seat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.. I was afraid you would say that, I beleive here in Canada by law we have to use the rear tether strap and I would like to use it but dont see a way around it on this truck, thanks for the info

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I cant get the link you posted to work when I click on it so maybe I will try the dealer tomorrow to see if there is a part number for one, the 2000 body style was the same as far as I can tell so maybe it could work?, thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Check with your local law enforcement. The way I read the law, you can use the vehicle seat belt.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, some Dodge cab rear bulkheads had a tether mount covered by a rubber cap. Check behind the seat to see if your cab has one.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, no rubber cap, so the dealer will install at no charge a tether package parts and labour, dont know what it looks like or where it goes, but now may not find out cause after all that looks like we will be using a different vehical for transport of the child so not sure if i will bother however if I procede I will report what it looks like, thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts