Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some assistance in locating a vacuum choke pull off for my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II equipped with the slant 6 engine. Mine is not working. The car starts but has to be well warmed before I can proceed. Had it in to my local Chrysler dealer but they were unable to locate a replacement. I phoned YearOne but they don't carry them either. Can anyone out there assist? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
If you can wait til next month when Marty is back, he apparently has some at www.arizonaparts.com:

2585788 CARB CHOKE DIAPHRAGM 1966-67 SOME 8 16.40

Or search on that Chrysler part number and find it elsewhere online right now.

http://www.mypartsgarage.com/wells-carburetor-choke-pull-off-cp114.html

Rockauto doesn't list one for a 1966, but the Chrysler number shows up in some 1978 cars:

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,carcode,1063987,parttype,6000,d,1978_CHRYSLER_LEBARON_5.2L_318_cubic_inch_V8_Carburetor_Choke_Pull_Off.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bob. I'll check it out.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
BTW, I had that same car and engine. Very common problem, I was only a teen when I figured out what was wrong with my mom's car. Once you get the part, if you are careful and precise about the adjustment, it will start instantly and run very smoothly when cold. Some people put manual chokes in, but this is better when fixed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. I did call Auto Zone and obtained one for $9.99. I went to install it but wasn't sure. Went to a mechanic friend who advised me and showed me that there was no choke on the car. The previous owner had removed it, so that is why the choke pull off wasn't working. Am I going to give my friends at the Chrysler dealership the business over this. I think I understand why he removed the choke. The car has not and will not be driven in the winter. It will be stored in a heated facility. However, the car is hard to start when cold. I think I will obtain a choke and have it installed for next summer. At least now, I have a replacement choke pulloff if required.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Wow. Had to be a moron who removed the choke plate. Even if you store a car at 90F, you still need a choke to start the car when the engine is cold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts