Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
That's a photoshop of one of the early Dart pictures.

HOWEVER, I'd love to see a Dart hatch

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The Dart /Viaggio was engineered to have a hatch variant...

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
My take:

Previous analyses of the 2013 NAFTA chart in the Chrysler Five-Year Plan suggested that the Chrysler C-segment vehicle, since rumored to be called the Chrysler 100 and sold in sections of Europe as the Lancia Delta, had been cancelled. This was due to the fact that both Chrysler vehicles scheduled on the 2009 Chrysler Five-Year Plan to launch in 2013 had been cancelled on the 2013 Product Plan-NAFTA, and one of those was the Chrysler C-segment vehicle (the other was a Chrysler midsize crossover). However, closer examination of the 2009 Plan reveals that the cancelled vehicle was a C-segment sedan; most recent rumors and reports have suggested that the Chrysler C-segment vehicle will be a hatchback (link). Therefore, one of the three new Chrysler vehicles to be launched in 2015 is likely a compact hatchback (the other two being replacements for the Town and Country and the 200 Cabriolet), and this hatchback is likely the one new vehicle to be imported to Europe in 2015 as a Lancia.

Note that the title of the chart included in Fiat's 2012 Five Year Plan is "Major New Product Launches in EMEA," which means that not every product is included on the chart (the Chrysler 300 refresh in 2014 is not included on the chart; neither is the new 200 or Town and Country). Therefore, it seems likely that the imported vehicles on the chart are all-new vehicles, not refreshes or replacements. If this is the case, the new import to the Lancia brand in 2015 is likely the 100/Delta to be imported from Belvidere.

The Fiat brand is also getting a new import in 2015. This could be the rumored Viaggio hatchback, possibly to be called Bravo, also to be produced at Belvidere. Dodge is getting a new vehicle in 2015 also, but that vehicle is likely the Grand Caravan. A Dodge vehicle is being refreshed in 2015-- likely the Dart, but possibly Journey (although it seems more likely that the Journey is being replaced in 2016).

The Jeep Compass/Patriot replacement is also due in the 2015. Toledo North will have production capacity available, and so it seems likely that the new Patriot will be built there (alongside the Cherokee and possibly the Journey), which would open up capacity at Belvidere for the 100/Delta and Viaggio/Bravo. A Dart hatchback does not seem to be in the plan, but it could be part of the 2015 refresh, it could be planned but not considered a separate model, or it might not be planned at all.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You what would be slightly better? if the "Dart Hatch" had visual features of Hyundai's Veloster Hatch., Panorama Roof or something similar to the Fiat 500C. it could Fold Back for Open air Driving or Fold Foward for Larger Cargo hauling

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
How are entry-level lux hatches from Lexus et al. selling anyway? It's not often that I see them on the road and I drive around a lot for work...

Maybe if they had planned a Chrysler hatch on the Dart's chassis they've decided to go down-market due to projected poor sales based on competitors.

I look at hatchbacks as pragmatic first, then adapted into sporty variants second. Hatchbacks seem to imply moving cargo around even more than minivans do.

I would think that a city car would be more reasonable in a luxury size than a small-mid hatchback.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Sir Moses Wellington said:
The Lexus hatch is selling rather well in my area, I see at least 2 or 3 or em a day.
So they sold 700-1100, or are you seeing the same three everyday? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
PK 100 has taken another twist and is indeed dead and it wouldn't be a surprise to see a Dart hatch, especially with the Fiat version debuting at Shanghai.

·
Registered
530 Posts
PCRMike said:
Sounds good to me. I will buy one if they make it.

Emphasis on WILL, SHALL or otherwise AM GOING TO.
I would purchase one as well, just not right away.

We're trying to get to a three-car situation (fuel efficient commuter for me, minivan for the wife and her business, and either a "fun" vehicle or a truck (also can be fun)). I use the space in my Jeep quite often, and dropping back to a sedan would be a difficult adjustment (I had a Honda Fit before the Cherokee, and it was suprisingly cavernous and quite fuel efficient). A hatchback Dart would give me some of the flexibility with a more fuel efficient ride (looking at 16 MPG regularly, hand calculated with the Cherokee).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
I would purchase one as well, just not right away.

We're trying to get to a three-car situation (fuel efficient commuter for me, minivan for the wife and her business, and either a "fun" vehicle or a truck (also can be fun)). I use the space in my Jeep quite often, and dropping back to a sedan would be a difficult adjustment (I had a Honda Fit before the Cherokee, and it was suprisingly cavernous and quite fuel efficient). A hatchback Dart would give me some of the flexibility with a more fuel efficient ride (looking at 16 MPG regularly, hand calculated with the Cherokee).
Oh! Then you are a perfect candidate for the KL. ;)
Seriously!

·
Registered
530 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Oh! Then you are a perfect candidate for the KL. ;)
Seriously!
I hear ya... However, I'm one of those who likes clearly defined boundaries. If I'm getting a Jeep, I wouldn't be getting one necessarily for fuel economy (read: I love having the capability).

I don't care for the looks of the KL other than the Trailhawk, and that would possibly defeat the purpose of getting a fuel efficient car (haven't announced fuel economy numbers for the trailhawk yet that I have seen). We've looked at a Patriot/Compass before, but I would be VERY tempted to get the "trail-rated" one, and that would be purpose defeating fuel economy wise (20/23 MPG). Basically, I have a lack of self-control when it comes to vehicle capability in Jeeps. ;)

I like the look of Hatchbacks as well. The Dart also appears to be the most fun compact on the market (I haven't driven one to see, but that's the jist of what I gather from what people say).

Other than the Honda being somewhat emasculating to drive (although somewhat fun to drive), it was a great little car. Put 72,000 miles on it in 3 years driving all over the midwest. Highway mileage was phenomenal (mid-high 30s by hand calcs, 41 on one particular trip where I drove more "maturely" ;) ) and average driving for me (~7 miles to work one way, mostly highway, and wherever else) I would get right at 30. If Dodge had something at least somewhat comparable to the Fit (a compact 5 door), with the typical Dodge flair for "sporty", they'd have a real winner.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MoparNorm said:
So they sold 700-1100, or are you seeing the same three everyday? ;)
In the DC area, I too see quite of number of the small Lexi. And based on who apparently seems to be buying them around here, I'd bet most of those Lexus owners would prefer to enter a brothel while being broadcast on CNN than enter a CDJR showroom. If that holds true for the entire country (which, thankfully, is far from obvious), then I'm glad they killed the 100 project. There are too many worthy projects Chrysler can and must work on overall, and making the 100 successful against the Lexus would require many, many years (and a clearer brand image for the Chrysler brand). A Dodge hatch will do far better, IMO.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Ford has consistently reported that 40% of
Focus sales is the five door hatch model.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Mike V. said:
Ford has consistently reported that 40% of
Focus sales is the five door hatch model.
Yep, the Focus is precisely the reason why SM has apparently decided that a hatch TODAY, and thanks in large part to the good job Ford did with the Focus, is finally a viable proposition for the US. Additionally a hatch is a very viable proposition outside the US anyways.

A hatch version of the Dart is a good idea IMO. That render incidentally has a rear that's very Focus-esque ;)

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Personally, RVC, I like the idea if a "notchback" to keep the basic lines of the Dart in tact... But that's purely my opinion.

Think Dodge Lancer and Dodge Shadow.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I agree with Mike, however I would gladly wait for a GT version of a notchback or hatchback.

Reactions: burtstwins
1 - 20 of 26 Posts