Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious tidbits of information regarding the new 200. Apparently, it was restyled partially as a consequence of the launch of the new Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, and KIA Optima.

http://www.driving.ca/research-car/news/Chrysler+complete+home/8449466/story.html

If not a "back to the drawing board" scenario, it apparently shows that the new 200 style wasn't compelling enough compared to a Ford or Hyundai/KIA; forget about upmarket brands.
It would also help to explain the strange announcement that the 200 would be launched next year, when everyone was expecting it to be launched this year. The "we spent all the money n the GC restyle" sounded a bit iffy to more than one Allparian.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
In the mid-2000's era, we were moving away from the cab-forward jellybean-look and into the angular, straked DCX Crossfire-look. I wasn't particularly fond of the styling trend and even think that the old Cirrus JA styling now is still very attractive.
But styling evolution marches on...
The 'Amped-up' steroids look of the era had the 300 LX, which was the clear winner. The Caliber was curiously like an Aries wagon.
Maybe my tastes are stuck in the past, but some of the vehicle styling nowadays just seems wrong.
Hopefully some Italian sculpturers and artisans will bring back the Beautiful Chrysler. Euro-style was big in the early-50's Ghia/Raymond Loewy cars and has never been out of style or in bad taste.
The 200/Avenger JS is doing well around here.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
I've actually been a bit concerned by the new Fusion on Chrysler's behalf. It's a great-looking car, IMHO, and I see them EVERYWHERE!!!

Reactions: GasAxe

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
We have some members who saw the 200 at the dealer meeting, Perhaps some will comment on how it stacks up to the Fusion?

·
Super Moderator
36,951 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
Maybe my tastes are stuck in the past, but some of the vehicle styling nowadays just seems wrong.
It just occured to me the other day that the three newer vehicles I own all have a "retro" styling theme to them: 2012 Dodge Challenger, 1999 Dodge Dakota, 2007 Jeep Wrangler.

·
3,813 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
We have some members who saw the 200 at the dealer meeting, Perhaps some will comment on how it stacks up to the Fusion?
Assuming what we saw at the dealer meetings is still meant for production then it stacks up really well. In fact, imo, it is a better looking car. The 200 was really the hit of the show.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
I'm not that fond of the Fusion, this thing of having a thin grille shoved up above a huge grille doesn't appeal to me.
But...the Fusion doesn't have that. :huh:

The Focus, however, DOES - at least for now.

Worth nothing that on the Focus, the bulk of that lower grille is solid - only the bottom-most section under the license plate is open.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think we need Italian designers and artisians at all. The previous generation Sebring and almost 20 year old Concordes and Visions are still some of the nicest looking cars on the road today.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
willy said:
I don't think we need Italian designers and artisians at all. The previous generation Sebring and almost 20 year old Concordes and Visions are still some of the nicest looking cars on the road today.
Well Chrysler doesn't see it that way, because the guy who designed the Ferrari 612 is supposed to be lead designer for Chrysler and Lancia design...which apparently now means he's just head of Chrysler design, then has to do some adjustments for the Lancia side...if what we've heard it correct.

I'm not too surprised they were worried about the Fusion and Kia/Hyundai cars, they are very attractive. And I think Top Gear got it right about a year ago when they pointed out all the best looking cars coming out anymore are just family cars. Which in my opinion, is not a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
willy said:
willy, on 31 May 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:
I totally agree with you. The Sebring coupe, convertible, and 300M were gorgeous. They were distinctive and can stack up with any car out there today. Chryslers today are tall and chunky.
It seems everybody is obsessed with 'gaping mouth' grilles, fish bowl headlights, etc. They all look the same.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
unverferth said:
I totally agree with you. The Sebring coupe, convertible, and 300M were gorgeous. They were distinctive and can stack up with any car out there today. Chryslers today are tall and chunky.
It seems everybody is obsessed with 'gaping mouth' grilles, fish bowl headlights, etc. They all look the same.
In all fairness, I'd say Chrysler sort of kicked off the gaping mouth grilles in the 90s with the LHs. Thing is, it actually looked good when they did it. Partially because it was part of the art. The Concorde, the grille properly complemented the overall design.
It's like other designers figured "Well that grille look purdy on that Chrysler car, if we slap big grille on this car it look purdier too"

Perhaps this is old news. I recall some dated rumor of Sergio calling for a rework of the 200 because he didn't feel it was strong enough.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JRS200x said:
Assuming what we saw at the dealer meetings is still meant for production then it stacks up really well. In fact, imo, it is a better looking car. The 200 was really the hit of the show.
IIRC the dealer meeting where they showed the new 200 was in September 2012, while the fusion was launched before then, at NAIAS of that year (January 2012, right?).
If that's correct, than what you guys saw must have been the reworked one. Or at least one would assume that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Initially, I didn't care for the new Fusion, but it's growing on me. I like the Aston-Martin ripoff look...

The new Taurus I did like initially but that is actually fading on me. The more I see of it the "Fatter" it looks. It's too big for the curves, hips and other design highlights they used on it, IMO. The angles are just all wrong.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Chevy is in the same boat - showing off the recently quickly updated new Malibu - restyled to better deal with the Fusion, Sonata, Optima, and others.

Honda's pulled a fast design re-do on the Civic as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Chevy is in the same boat - showing off the recently quickly updated new Malibu - restyled to better deal with the Fusion, Sonata, Optima, and others.

Honda's pulled a fast design re-do on the Civic as well.
The new Malibu front end is nice, but the rear is still as ugly as ever. They're not going to win any ex-Malibu owners back. The rear end on the Fusion seems like an afterthought too.

I honestly think that the Optima/Sonata took everyone by surprise. Before then, car companies seemed to think that family cars need to be (boring) conventionally-styled to sell well.

The new 200 has to really make a statement. Bold, slightly funky, but still classy. And probably with "coupe"-like lines.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Chris Monaco said:
The new Malibu front end is nice, but the rear is still as ugly as ever. They're not going to win any ex-Malibu owners back. The rear end on the Fusion seems like an afterthought too.
That's been an issue with more than a few cars. "Like they ran out of money by the time they got to the end of the car."

Chris Monaco said:
I honestly think that the Optima/Sonata took everyone by surprise. Before then, car companies seemed to think that family cars need to be (boring) conventionally-styled to sell well.
That would be the "Camry Effect." Even the prior generation Sonata and Optima were nothing more than blatant Camry and (moreso) Accord copies. Looks are one part, but it's not everything - Camry and Accord are still the big movers, along with Altima.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
RVC said:
Curious tidbits of information regarding the new 200. Apparently, it was restyled partially as a consequence of the launch of the new Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, and KIA Optima.
With Chrysler having so many issues with teething and components, purhaps the new KL should also be restyled as a consequence of potential buyers getting a glimpse of the....KL...

Reactions: FreeLantz
1 - 20 of 71 Posts