Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a 200 on 3/9/13, we absolutely love the car. I was a bit hesitant due to reading so many bad reviews by the major car magazines. However, after driving one and with the rebates we couldn't resist. Did the reviewers actually DRIVE the car? I'll admit the 4 isn't the quietest one out there but it's smooth and very responsive. My cousin bought a 2013 Malibu, we drove each others cars and his didn't feel any better than mine. I actually think he likes my 200 better! I didn't care for the electric ps on the Malibu, the transmission was very reluctant to downshift too. His car will lug the engine, mine kicks down immediately and very smoothly. He paid a few more thousands than I did too. The reviews have also criticized the steering and handling, well it's not a sports car but it drives very well. I took it through the "ravine" section of Sheridan rd in Glencoe, IL at a brisk pace. It cornered very well with no tire squeal or excessive lean. Why do so many dump on this car?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There may be a prejudice against the 200 because of its old Sebring roots. It is still a JS-body, albeit a very much more refined one nowadays.

This JS platform was derived from the Mitsubishi GS platform:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GS_platform

The 4-cylinder GEMA engines were the work of Chrysler, Misubishi and Hyundai (which also uses a lot of Mitsubishi technology):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Engine_Manufacturing_Alliance

The V6 Pentastar carries a lot of the GEMA technology.
It was very popular to bash the old Sebring and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because of the class of family sedans that automotive journalists were loathe to drive. The first impressions of cheap hard plastic interiors didn't do Chrysler any favors. Remember that the journalists would much rather be seen in and driving in a BMW or Corvette convertible than a stodgy, vanilla family sedan.
Don't believe everything you read. I find many product reviews skewed and subjective. If the product fits the need, it is the correct choice for you. I do pay attention to reliability reports and have to realize that Chrysler quality is much better now than when it was broke and about to crash in 2007.
Personally I like the 200 and Avenger cars. The are getting long in the tooth, platform-wise but still relevant and a great value for the money. We will eventually see them replaced with more modern Fiat Dart-like platforms.
I'm afraid that the 200 is being haunted by pre-conceptions of the past. It just isn't a bad car.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The 200 is not a bad car, maybe a bit dated Tech wise but overal it is very good and for the money, it is just hard to beat.

On that note, the Sebring of wich is based off is not that bad either, the bigest issue was the interior, plastic and seat comfort.

My 2008 is a very nice car, at leat I think it is.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I really think the 200 is more of what Chrysler WANTED to do with the Sebring, but couldn't because Daimler wouldn't up their allowance.

Recall that in regards to the Neon, Daimler felt that giving Americans power rear windows as well as power front windows was "too good for us."

·
Registered
181 Posts
[RANT]Quoting/copying/pasting on this site can be really aggravating.[/RANT]
Anyway, about downshifting....

I prefer more throttle action needed for downshift (would rather stay in a higher gear/lower RPM and get better fuel economy). Sometimes, my Sebring feels like it is too touchy/sensitive with the throttle. I'm probably in the minority on that issue though, judging from the lead-footed way a lot of people drive (hurry up and get to that red light!). At least I have AutoStick though.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
mrneuro. What year and engine? There is a software flash for some 2007-09 Sebring/Avenger/Journey that addresses shift quality and enhancements. The TSB # is 21-015-08B for 4-cyl and 21-003-09 for the V6. I couldn't post a link for the V6 bulletin.
See if the 'symptons/conditions' listed match what you are experiencing. The latest and greatest software flash updates usually always results in a better car. Ask for it by name at the service desk. PCM software changes/updates may be covered by your 8/80 extended federal emissions warranty.
Other vehicle modules may have flash enhancements available that may not be covered outside of the basic warranty (i.e.- radio, Uconnect and ABS, etc.) depending on your equipment.
Make sure that there are no open recalls on the car. They should check for that when the car is written up.

https://cda.extra.chrysler.com/icon/sqwrp/files/2101508B.pdf

·
Registered
181 Posts
@Imperial Crown: thanks, but as indicated in my sig, it's a 2004. Like I said, it's probably just personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Oops. There it was right in front of me.
The 2004 JR 2.7L had TSB's for some with engine idle/surge enhancements and shift up/down feel enhancements. Nothing really about late shift points which I think you are describing.
The 2.7L can rev freely which may be why the shifts feel like they occur at higher engine speeds. That's normal (where the peak torque band is). Not the grunt of low-end torque engines which could upshift much earlier at a lower RPM.
There is TSB # 18-040-04 and TSB # 21-006-03.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neontsbs/2003/21-006-03.pdf

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2izq6-engine-2005-sebring-cylinder-2-7-engine-rev-s.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our 2002 Sebring with the 2.7 is still going strong at 140,000 miles. Apart from normal maintenance, water pump was the only really difficult/costly repair so far. It still pulls strong right up to the red line. I never liked the back seat, but a really minor quibble and my only complaint in a car that for the money, we are many miles and dollars ahead with. I expect my teenage daughters will continue driving it after it turns 200k on the clock.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
It's worth noting that --

The Sebrings before 2007 had uniformly good reviews

2007 Sebring was reviewed in warm tones until the famous Jeremy Clarkson on-air rant. At that point it became a contest to see who could bad-mouth it more. It wasn't the best car, necessarily, but if you've driven a four cylinder Camry automatic of the same years, it wasn't the worst either!

WRT the 200, when that came out, there were two sets of reviews: fairly positive ones from people who'd driven it, and negative ones from those who hadn't. Of the positive set, I think most reviewers were restrained because of the class of car but mostly because they KNEW it was just a Sebring with new tuning and such.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
I've had my 200 Limited for almost two weeks now and now that I have everything adjusted to my liking, I have no complaints at all. Loving it. If this is considered the worlds worst, I really would like to see what the world's best is and how much "better" that would have to be.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
The 2.7L can rev freely which may be why the shifts feel like they occur at higher engine speeds. That's normal (where the peak torque band is). Not the grunt of low-end torque engines which could upshift much earlier at a lower RPM.
That's probably what it is. I'd been driving the 3.0L LeBaron since 1999, so I was just used to a different enginge with more low RPM torque.

(Sorry to drag the thread off topic, but maybe I'll own a 200 convertible some day.)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
A friend of mine worked at the Proving Grounds near PHX, and he tested the 3.5L Avenger and 200, and he said it was a hot rod of a car. Bear in mind, he had built a nearly 500 cubic inch big block for his personal restoration project...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
It's worth noting that --

The Sebrings before 2007 had uniformly good reviews

2007 Sebring was reviewed in warm tones until the famous Jeremy Clarkson on-air rant. At that point it became a contest to see who could bad-mouth it more. It wasn't the best car, necessarily, but if you've driven a four cylinder Camry automatic of the same years, it wasn't the worst either!

WRT the 200, when that came out, there were two sets of reviews: fairly positive ones from people who'd driven it, and negative ones from those who hadn't. Of the positive set, I think most reviewers were restrained because of the class of car but mostly because they KNEW it was just a Sebring with new tuning and such.
Right you are, most reveiwing seemed to not have driven the car at all! Sorry, you should not be able to review are car untill you drive it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I still consider the rapid transformation from the Sebring to the 200 to be a small miracle. Kudos to everyone involved.

The 200 is a great looking car, although it does suffer from the ugly carried over C-pillar.

Can't wait to see what the next 200 has in store!

Congrats on the new 200 (and be glad you didn't buy the Malibu)!

·
Registered
521 Posts
we've had our 200 for a year now.

Been pretty good. after having a couple intrepids (02 and 04) i'm disapointed they didn't take more lessons from that design into the 200/avenger/sebring/stratus platform.

Only complaints on the 200 are its hard for me to get in without hitting steering wheel (and i'm under 6ft) and the steering is squirely way too sensitive. .

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I've only had my 200 for about 5 weeks now but have put 3,500 miles on it already. I got the 2.4 and six speed auto stick and the more I drive this car, the more I love it. Keep in mind I got rid of an AWD Equinox, but had a Caliber before that and loved my Caliber too. I find the 2.4 has plenty of get up and go when you step on it and I'm averaging around 30 mpg combination driving. Not bad, as I have somewhat of a heavy foot, like Bob Lincolns wife! LOL I took the 200 on a 30 mile test drive and went around a lot of sharp curves and up and down multiple hills. No tire squeals, and great handling and acceleration. The people that don't like these cars obviously have not really driven them.

Reactions: JA Cumbo

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I LOVED 3/4 of my rentals I had when my Sebring was in for collision repair last summer... I had 2 2012 Avenger SE 2.4 4spd. The first one had the 18" Chrome and the Eagle LS2 tires, I averaged 33mpg over 400 miles... Rode awesome! I wanted to buy it off enterprise... Then I had another Avenger, it had the steelies and the Michelien tires.. Didn't ride as well but still loved it! Then I ended up with a LOADED Fusion SEL after another accident... Loved it... The 3.0 has some punch. And then I had a Cruze with just 600 miles when my front bumper came in... That car was a POS! Turbo lag, transmission slamming buggy Bluetooth creaky clunky suspension... I was the 2 person to rent it... But by far the Avenger is awesome! I drove it back to back with my Sisters '10 SXT 2.4 4spd... Nigh and day... These cars are awesome and they deserve more praise then they get...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies. We've had ours for almost 3 months and still love it. Now that it's got a few miles, the engine has gotten quieter and gas mileage has improved a lot. It's not as eager to downshift either, it will hold the gear it's in much better. I guess this is the computer "learning". We have absolutely no regrets over buying it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Dad's Kia just got it's second trans in 35K . In the owners manual "Cruise control is NOT intended for use on grades steeper than 6% or transmission damage may occur!". Was going uphill about 60 MPH when it slammed itself into second. That was the first time. Dealer replaced servo pack. The other day it totally grenaded. He is SOOOO wishing he had gotten the Avenger......LOL At least his warranty is covering it, but he can't wait to get out of the Kia and back into a Dodge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts