Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All I am building a 361ci Big Block I pulled out of a 1963 Chrysler Newport (also pulled the trans and rear axle to complete the set) but I am wondering if anyone knows what the original 4bbl carburetor that came on the 361.

My project is a 361 Bored .060 over, new pistons, new cam, 4bbl conversion from the old Stromberg 2bbl, resurface the crankshaft, and new valves in the heads, maybe a Bowl blend on the heads. I am utilizing the Factory rods and crankshaft be cause hey why throw out a Forged Crank and rods for something of lesser strength.

I'm hoping for 375+ HP, TQ will be what ever is adequately estimated for the HP numbers , not looking at a Drag car but something respectable on the street.

Right now I have a Weiand 8008 4bbl intake and a Holley 4160 (750cfm) Vacuum secondary, electric choke carb, I'm just wondering what the Factory 4bbl cfm was to judge HP and TQ by

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
141 Posts
Are you putting it back in the Newport? Engine building is always a beautiful thing to see pictures of, all those sterile clean metal surfaces get my OCD going. Good luck with the rebuild!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nah Im putting it in my 1967 Plymouth Barracuda, my Cuda is sitting with a slant six 225Ci right now I just want something a little more respectable, every one says my Barracuda is not a muscle car with a 6 cylinder, so I'm going to go big block,

I couldn't believe how mush crud was in that 361Ci, last that Newport was registered was in 1975 , guess it ran for 12 years with minimal to no maintenance, dont know if you can see the huge ridges at the top of each cylinder.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
141 Posts
Love C-bodies but was hoping by your username it was going in a Cuda. 67 is still A body for the Barracudas right? I heard the factory big block instalation tool was a hammer on the inner fenders in A-bodies. Maybe you'll be a little gentler. How's the rest of the car looking with all that spunk going under the hood? I'm sure she'll make plenty of power for the street.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love C-bodies but was hoping by your username it was going in a Cuda. 67 is still A body for the Barracudas right? I heard the factory big block instalation tool was a hammer on the inner fenders in A-bodies. Maybe you'll be a little gentler. How's the rest of the car looking with all that spunk going under the hood? I'm sure she'll make plenty of power for the street.
LOL don't know yet about the hammer but yes still "A body" and first year of the "Muscle Car" body style but if they fit a 383 in the second gen body from the factory a 361 will fit or in my case with a .060 over bore 372Ci "no it ain't a Hemi"

·
Valued Member
3,450 Posts
Nice project engine you don't see very often.
Not to be picky but the 361 was never considered a big block engine. Those were the 413, 426 and 440. There was a 383 from 1958 & 1959 that used the raised deck block from the RB engine family but that was eliminated to consolidate the engine machining process.
The 4bbl carbs used on those engines were Carter's.
375 HP is a reasonable number to expect with headers and that carb and a good exhaust system.
Production 4bbl - 361 engines used in the Plymouth Fury made 305 HP and around 390 ft/pds of torque.
Keep us posted on the build.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,521 Posts
That cleaned up nice. The Carter AFB (aluminum four barrel) was the 4-bbl offering. The 300J got 2 of them on cross-ram manifolds.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,521 Posts
Reactions: Fast Eddie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nice project engine you don't see very often.
Not to be picky but the 361 was never considered a big block engine. Those were the 413, 426 and 440. There was a 383 from 1958 & 1959 that used the raised deck block from the RB engine family but that was eliminated to consolidate the engine machining process.
The 4bbl carbs used on those engines were Carter's.
375 HP is a reasonable number to expect with headers and that carb and a good exhaust system.
Production 4bbl - 361 engines used in the Plymouth Fury made 305 HP and around 390 ft/pds of torque.
Keep us posted on the build.
actually Chrysler Advertised (B) engines as Low deck Big Blocks 350Ci to 400Ci and the Raised deck Big Block as (RB) 413Ci to 440Ci and big blocks all share parts from one another including the heads for mine share with the 413Ci, only difference in the 413,426 and 440 are raised decks for the extra just under half inch stroke to get the extra Cubes. can't tell the difference between any of the big blocks unless you know what your looking for (Identification pad placement), also as I recall the "Golden Commando" in the Plymouth's Advertised "395" on the air cleaner not horse power mind you but torque.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Arent the AFB considered a 625 cfm carb usually.
- a 750 carb will last up to atleast 7000 rpm´s..
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

This thing will like to rev, its basically a smallblock, big bore engine with bigblock heads..follow a modern 383 recipt and dont be afraid of revs but keep in mind that the oiling needs modification above 5500 rpms or so.
Get a true mopar cam wich takes advantage of the larger dia tappets that mopars have, hughes fex. ( you get more true valve opening for a given duration. )

Reactions: realcuda

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Body is repairable she has some Cancer holes on the lower quarters and rear of the fenders also the usual holes in the drivers front and pass front floor boards but front and rear frames look good no serious rust on them but I am looking at Frame rail connector to help reduce the twisty twisty of the body under the extra torque. Also the Newport Body was not savable it was folding where the front and rear doors met, I could not open the doors, but I doo have the bumpers, grill, Emblems, and headlight trim off of the Newport.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice to see a different build don't see too many of these. Hope it goes well for you. Not sure what's exactly needed to convert from your slant six but I think you'll have to find a front crossmember from a V8 car.

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
Yes, the 361 is a big block, (B, not RB), and yes, the 361 is a tough mother of a block. Go with a high volume oil pump, the extra half inch thickness over stock increases the oil volume to more than overcome any oiling problems, and is also known as the Hemi oil pump.

Schumacher (spelling), does have the motor mount conversion from slant 6 to V8 if you can't find the V8 K frame, cost would probably be a wash between the two, along with finding one.

Might want to check out someone like PST for heavier torsion bars. The slant 6 ones are a little small and handling will suffer in the corners, whereas thicker/larger diameter bars will keep her flatter in the corners. I got 1.14s for my 68 Charger and love the way it handles over stock ones.

375 hp would be a conservative estimate, depending on your camshaft specs. Since you are going to do some porting, make sure to remove the sharp edges inside the combustion chamber, especially the one that starts the quench pad. Remove it so the edge is removed flush with the angle of the combustion chamber and that 375 will be more than an underestimate of hp and torque.

·
Valued Member
3,450 Posts
actually Chrysler Advertised (B) engines as Low deck Big Blocks 350Ci to 400Ci and the Raised deck Big Block as (RB) 413Ci to 440Ci and big blocks all share parts from one another including the heads for mine share with the 413Ci, only difference in the 413,426 and 440 are raised decks for the extra just under half inch stroke to get the extra Cubes. can't tell the difference between any of the big blocks unless you know what your looking for (Identification pad placement), also as I recall the "Golden Commando" in the Plymouth's Advertised "395" on the air cleaner not horse power mind you but torque.
I worked at the Chrysler Tech Center in Highland Park, Michigan from the 1960's to the 1990's in the Engine Development Group. I ran one of the Performance / Race engine dynos doing testing and development on all V8 engines. The 350-361-383-400 engines were NEVER referred to as big block engines at the Engineering Center. Maybe you can show me an advertisement that says they were.?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I worked at the Chrysler Tech Center in Highland Park, Michigan from the 1960's to the 1990's in the Engine Development Group. I ran one of the Performance / Race engine dynos doing testing and development on all V8 engines. The 350-361-383-400 engines were NEVER referred to as big block engines at the Engineering Center. Maybe you can show me an advertisement that says they were.?
Have been a Mopar guy since the 1950s, so been around Mopar all my life. The 350-361-383-400s were always referred to as B series low-deck big block wedge engines (except for the'59 & '60 raised deck 383s), while the 413-426-440 wedges were called RB raised block versions. Look in just about any parts catalog and you will see these referred to as "big blocks". Heck, even Wikipedia refers to them as such. You are the first I know of in my almost 70 years that doesn't consider them big blocks. While maybe those at engineering never called it that, 99.99% of everyone else has and does..
Chrysler B engine - Wikipedia
Hughes Engines

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have been a Mopar guy since the 1950s, so been around Mopar all my life. The 350-361-383-400s were always referred to as B series low-deck big block wedge engines (except for the'59 & '60 raised deck 383s), while the 413-426-440 wedges were called RB raised block versions. Look in just about any parts catalog and you will see these referred to as "big blocks". Heck, even Wikipedia refers to them as such. You are the first I know of in my almost 70 years that doesn't consider them big blocks. While maybe those at engineering never called it that, 99.99% of everyone else has and does..
Hughes Engines
Thank you Gomango0406 I had a lengthy response typed out but couldn't figure out how to put it in the fewer words that you did, I do believe that there is little as way of Chrysler calling the 350,361,383,400, big blocks because the low deck big blocks were the forgotten big blocks and no one saved the Advertisements saying they were. But there are plenty of sites referencing the series as (B...350,361,383,400) and later adding the raised deck block (RB....413,426,440) but calling all of the engines Big Blocks because they all share 98% of their parts with each other (pistons not being a shareable part), I'm not sure if the crank shaft is compatible from B to RB.

·
Valued Member
3,450 Posts
Hughes Engines
Well I am 78 years old and spent 42 years at the Tech Center. I grew up in Detroit 3 blocks from the Plymouth Assembly Plant and a half mile from Dodge Main plant. My Dad worked for a Chrysler supplier for years. Most of my family and friends and neighbors worked for Chrysler. So I have been around Chrysler and Mopar from the day I was born.
Don't really care what all you so called Mopar lovers say or think. I was there when these engines were designed and tested and developed. I didn't have to read about them in some idiot car magazine written by some so called Mopar genius. That includes all the B & RB engines, the Street Hemi, the Ball Stud Hemi, NASCAR & NHRA versions of all these engines plus the LA family of performance engines. I was involved in the development of the Nascar R5/P7 355 engine that came out in 2001 when we got back in NASCAR. What have you done? Put chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner on an engine and that makes you a Mopar guru??????????????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts