Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't trust Consumer Reports for anything. They can post good news or negative news, I don't trust them. Only way to know is own something yourself and make your own determination.

I know they rub a lot wrong for their bias towards Japanese brands/foreign brands and their continued dislike of domestic brands. They hold on to old stereotypes that are no longer warranted and use them to make their picks. It's been years since Chrysler brands have had reliability issues, and even today, they still mark Chrysler products always lower for no reason other than just reliability and any other little frivolous things they can make up. They will detrimentally mark American brands for certain things, but not other car companies for the same issues.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Don't trust Consumer Reports for anything. They can post good news or negative news, I don't trust them. Only way to know is own something yourself and make your own determination.

I know they rub a lot wrong for their bias towards Japanese brands/foreign brands and their continued dislike of domestic brands. They hold on to old stereotypes that are no longer warranted and use them to make their picks. It's been years since Chrysler brands have had reliability issues, and even today, they still mark Chrysler products always lower for no reason other than just reliability and any other little frivolous things they can make up. They will detrimentally mark American brands for certain things, but not other car companies for the same issues.
CR's methodology invalidates their reports.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Speaking for myself (and I am unanimous in this ;))...I refuse to spend any time bemoaning CR results or its methodology.

I am simply taking the results...(with however much salt needed)...and moving on.

·
Registered
43 Posts

You're so right. I used to subscribe to that mag but got tired of the foreign car bias. They used to offer a report showing what the true cost the dealer paid for a car so you could better negotiate a price for the car you wanted to purchase. I sent them $12 for the 2012 Charger report, and at the end of the report they suggested since I wanted a full size sedan that I should consider a Toyota Camry. That was the last straw for me. Think about it, I'm interested in an American muscle car and they suggest a Camry. They still send me crap in the mail telling me we want you back.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One data point is an anecdote.

Reactions: hydrex and David S

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was comparing CR's tire tests with the Tire Rack's owner based ratings. Quite a lot different. I'd trust actual tire owners a bit more. Ram seems to score quite well, but the Tundra always beats it. Drive a Tundra, then drive a Ram, I think that even a Tradesman V6 Pentastar will impress you more than the Tundra. I'm a former Toyota car (Camry) and Tacoma owner, my Dodges and Rams have been better built and more reliable.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quit using CR after several bad appliance recommendations. (Samsung products didn't last and had continuous problems)
Just traded my '08 Charger R/T with 240,000k miles for a new 5.7 Challenger R/T. Love it! Oh, and had virtually no problems with the '08 Charger despite CR's crap reviews. Just not that in to Japanese cars...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Years ago, I posted this on Allpar, about CR and I still stand by it:
In the 80's I used to look at their ratings for audio/video equipment and such. Everything they recommended back then was on the higher end of the price scale and any purchases I made, even paying the premium price, based on their recommendations, was total junk! I've never looked at their rag since. I've heard things from other people over the years complaining about their appliance recommendations and such. Just total BS. You'd be better off doing a bit of research on your own and making your own decision. That's what I've been doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quit using CR after several bad appliance recommendations. (Samsung products didn't last and had continuous problems)
Just traded my '08 Charger R/T with 240,000k miles for a new 5.7 Challenger R/T. Love it! Oh, and had virtually no problems with the '08 Charger despite CR's crap reviews. Just not that in to Japanese cars...
I drove a 2005 RT Magnum 400,000 miles, with a hot race cam and nitrous. Ran it many times at NEDW, Englishtown and my local track Winterport Dragway. Ran 11's in the quarter mile and best eighth mile was a 7.70 / 91 mph. Tough car! Got some rust in the frame area near long tube headers, otherwise I's still be driving. Did not use a drop of oil. Only had to replace a fuel pump, thats it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts