Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
55Plaza commented on the topic 'Mopar Redneck' the other day, and it jarred my memory about something I heard about some years ago. 55Plaza said he worked at an IH dealership, and he heard at the time IH was considering using Chrysler drivetrains in the Scout. What I remembered was hearing about an auction at IH's Fort Wayne facility sometime in the early 1980's where IH was selling a number of new Scouts complete except for engines and transmissions. Right alongside them were pallets with fully dressed 318's and TorqueFlite transmissions!

Chrysler and IH did have a little history together. For a number of years in the 70's Dodge offered IH's 549 gasoline V-8 as the top gas engine option in the C-900. IH's 446 V-8 was used in a few Dodge class A motorhome chassis in 1980. It seems that a number of 440-3 heavy duty engines were warehoused after 440 production stopped in late 1978. When the supply ran out, the IH 446's were substituted until class A production ended.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
Also, CJ 5's and Scouts shared Dana front axles (Scout had king pin bearings, Jeep used bushings) and they shared the Dana 300 transfer case.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
36,916 Posts
Some 318 blocks were also cast by IH. You can find Chrysler vehicles with IH logos cast on the 318 blocks. I think it was a mid-70s time frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
valiant67 said:
Some 318 blocks were also cast by IH. You can find Chrysler vehicles with IH logos cast on the 318 blocks. I think it was a mid-70s time frame.
Was going to post that.

You beat me to it.

IIRC, it was late 70s. Like 77/78.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,237 Posts
For a while, Chrysler was selling components worldwide. In all fairness so were GM and Ford. Ford’s V8s were fairly popular because they were really small and fit in Eurocars. Chrysler had the technical edge over GM and Ford, but they were smaller as a company, and I suspect charged more for their engines and transmissions. And of course they did not make carbs as Ford and GM did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
CNT900 said:
55Plaza commented on the topic 'Mopar Redneck' the other day, and it jarred my memory about something I heard about some years ago. 55Plaza said he worked at an IH dealership, and he heard at the time IH was considering using Chrysler drivetrains in the Scout. What I remembered was hearing about an auction at IH's Fort Wayne facility sometime in the early 1980's where IH was selling a number of new Scouts complete except for engines and transmissions. Right alongside them were pallets with fully dressed 318's and TorqueFlite transmissions!
Yeah those were the test vehicles, when IH put them up for sale they couldn't sell them with the Dodge powertrain installed. Our blockman bought one and put it back together. The word to us was that IH would be selling Dodges 1 ton & under and Dodge would sell IH trucks over 1 ton. We'd still sell the big IH trucks as Dodge dealers would sell the pickups as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,688 Posts
Perhaps fairly well known, too, is the other tie-in between Chrysler and International Harvester :

The IH Travelall used a couple AMC engines in the later 1970's ... True, this occurred before the Chrysler purchase, but it rounds-out the picture.

My father had an IH Travelall with either an AMC 360 CID V8 or their 401; can't recall rightly.

Anyway, As you were :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
moparfan06 said:
The Scout II's automatic transmission was the 727 TorqueFlight. Ironic that Fiat owns them both now. :)
The 727 was used as the automatic for the whole Light Line after the early '70's IIRC.

As to Fiat... CNH Industrial (formerly known as Fiat Industrial) apparently has some right to use the "Scout" name (it's a side-by-side UTV sold by Case IH) but the trucks business was what was left in the former IH Corporation that became Navistar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
In the 50's and 60's we had a local trucker who replaced the six cylinder engines in his IH trucks (single axle and tandem), with Chrysler V8's (313s I think). IH six cylinder engines couldn't take being revved over 2k rpm, well mabe 3k rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
The IH Travelall used a couple AMC engines in the later 1970's ... True, this occurred before the Chrysler purchase, but it rounds-out the picture.
My father had an IH Travelall with either an AMC 360 CID V8 or their 401; can't recall rightly.
Anyway, As you were :)
IH V8s were the 304, 345 & 392. When the 392 was in short supply in 1974-75, the AMC 401 was substituted. Our company runabout (for parts, service when the service truck wasn't needed, etc.) was a 1975 with a 392. I preferred it a lot to the 345. And even considered maybe getting one before I bought my '75 Dart. I was sure happy when we thought we were getting Dodge Trucks to sell, and disappointed when it fell through. B)
 

·
THE MAD DUCK
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
I was There In Sept 78 When the Big Block Production Ended.
We Did Run a Bunch 0f 440's for Motor Home Engines at the End.

TMD
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
We had a 1981 Xplorer motor home, it had a 440, the latest I have ever heard was 1982 models of some of the slow selling ones.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top