Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm 68 years old. Will I be alive to see it ??
Stellantis has the assets/resources of: Chrysler Corporation, AMC, Fiat, Opel, Peugeot-Citroen.
So where are the new products?
What in the HE** is taking so darn long ??
BTW:
The Gladiator isn't new. They just substituted a pick-up bed for the back end of a Jeep.
The Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are just stretched Grand Cherokees.
The "new" Grand Cherokee isn't new, it has just been restyled and updated.
The 300, Charger, Challenger are so old they are being considered for "classic status.
Meanwhile, SOMEHOW, over at Hyundai/Kia new vehicles are seemingly coming out at the blink of an eye.
HYUNDAI = Palisade, Ioniq, Nexo, Accent, Elantra, Sonota, Veloster, Venue, Kona, Tucson, Santa Fe, Santa Cruz.
(I believe their next new model is slated to be named Santa Claus)
KIA = Niro, Telluride, Soul, Seltos, Sportage, Sorento, Carnival.
Someone once said that in the automobile business companies either:
LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
The current STELLANTIS is so far removed from reality that their path seems to be "GET OUT OF THE WAY".
In reality, STELLANTIS is so distant from automotive relevancy that they are not in anybody's way.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Stellantis has the assets/resources of: Chrysler Corporation, AMC, Fiat, Opel, Peugeot-Citroen.
BTW:
The Gladiator isn't new. They just substituted a pick-up bed for the back end of a Jeep.
The 300, Charger, Challenger are so old they are being considered for "classic status.
Meanwhile, SOMEHOW, over at Hyundai/Kia new vehicles are seemingly coming out at the blink of an eye.
HYUNDAI = Palisade, Ioniq, Nexo, Accent, Elantra, Sonota, Veloster, Venue, Kona, Tucson, Santa Fe, Santa Cruz.
The current STELLANTIS is so far removed from reality that their path seems to be "GET OUT OF THE WAY".
In reality, STELLANTIS is so distant from automotive relevancy that they are not in anybody's way.
-The Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are body on frame vehicles and not a stretched Grand Cherokees
-The Grand Cherokee is indeed new and is not using the same platform at all

But outside of that, the reality is there wasn't much product development going on under FCA. When Stellantis took over a bunch of movement began but it takes ~4-6 years to produce a car from scratch (there are rare exceptions, sure). Unfortunately that's just where we're at so don't expect much until 2024 and beyond. Stay healthy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
-The Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are body on frame vehicles and not a stretched Grand Cherokees
-The Grand Cherokee is indeed new and is not using the same platform at all
Sorry, to me, I still consider them to be Grand Cherokee extensions rather than new vehicles.
Besides, based on price point, I'm sure each one is a cash cow that generates loads of profit.
I don't waste my time bothering about vehicles that cost more than my first house.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When Stellantis took over a bunch of movement began but it takes ~4-6 years to produce a car from scratch.
We are STARVED for SOMETHING, ANYTHING NEW.
It doesn't take much time or effort to make a few minor changes to an existing vehicle, change the nameplates, slap on a few decals. Chrysler Corporation has been doing it since the 1960s and is still at it with "NEW" Chargers, Challengers and 300s. The folks holding the purse strings are more interested in generating profit off of tooling paid off over a decade ago and applying the profits to reduce the debt associated with PC's purchase of Opel and the creation of STELLANTIS.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,902 Posts
It doesn't take much time or effort to make a few minor changes to an existing vehicle, change the nameplates, slap on a few decals. Chrysler Corporation has been doing it since the 1960s and is still at it with "NEW" Chargers, Challengers and 300s. The folks holding the purse strings are more interested in generating profit off of tooling paid off over a decade ago and applying the profits to reduce the debt associated with PC's purchase of Opel and the creation of STELLANTIS.
I looked into what they actually said. The timeframe is 2025-2028. That makes sense when you consider it takes 4-5 years to develop a car, and they have a lot of platform and technology combining to do along the way. Looks like Frame will stay Mopar, while Large is likely mostly FCA based, and Small and Medium will be Peugeot designs — but those have to be modified for BEV variants, AWD, more hybridization, etc. So yes, it's gonna take a while. That explains the Hornet. It might take a while to get here but it's new, fills a major gap, doesn't cost much to develop (in context), and may help CAFE.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Gotta be patient. Hyundai didn't start developing the technology and chassis for those cars two years ago. What's more, Hyundai as a whole is still a much larger company.
#1) I have never been a patient person (genetics and home environment)
#2) I have become less patient with the aging process
#3) While STELLANTIS can tell me to be patient and wait, vehicles do not seem to get that message.
With no products that appeal to me available from CDJR, my most recent purchases have been Fords.
#4) That may become a permanent change unless STELLANTIS starts taking us consumers SERIOUS.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I looked into what they actually said. The timeframe is 2025-2028. That makes sense when you consider it takes 4-5 years to develop a car, and they have a lot of platform and technology combining to do along the way. So yes, it's gonna take a while.
That timeframe is typical corporate BS.
Prior to computers and sophisticated software, (and yes, I do realize that automotive standards have changed) entirely new vehicles went from being designed on a napkin to appearing on the showroom floor in a year.
A dual pronged approach is needed.
Fine, do all the long term developmental combining crap.
But if you don't take care of the short term market needs of consumers, the future plans will be irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sorry, to me, I still consider them to be Grand Cherokee extensions rather than new vehicles.
Besides, based on price point, I'm sure each one is a cash cow that generates loads of profit.
I don't waste my time bothering about vehicles that cost more than my first house.
Just because you consider them to be doesn't make it true.

The prolonged life of the Charger, Challenger, and 300 has everything to do with the previous FCA management and nothing to do with Stellantis or Opel. Hence why even have this thread - Chrysler has finally been given a budget so they can actually produce new products.

That timeframe is typical corporate BS.
Prior to computers and sophisticated software, (and yes, I do realize that automotive standards have changed) entirely new vehicles went from being designed on a napkin to appearing on the showroom floor in a year.
A dual pronged approach is needed.
Fine, do all the long term developmental combining crap.
But if you don't take care of the short term market needs of consumers, the future plans will be irrelevant.
Cars have become enormously more complicated than before. I am thankfully Stellantis has enough sense to not rush some half-baked vehicle to the market just so it can lose money. The 4-6 year development timeline for brand new cars has been the norm for decades. You could make an argument for rebranding DS cars and bringing them over here as Chryslers but it's clear they're trying to do the brand reboot correctly from the start utilizing the latest technology.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,223 Posts
BTW:
I hate to burst your bubble. Lord knows I've criticized FCA many times over the years, but as an owner of an all new Grand Cherokee it is NOT a carry over. And it's a damn good one at that. Oh, and I'm 62 by he way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble. Lord knows I've criticized FCA many times over the years, but as an owner of an all new Grand Cherokee it is NOT a carry over. And it's a damn good one at that. Oh, and I'm 62 by he way.
If it is so "new", why didn't they change it's name to reflect that newness?
They changed the name of the Town & Country to Pacifica after the most recent styling revision even though the name Pacifica had been recently and previously used on a totally different style (CUV) of vehicle.
And with the Town & Country there was no pressure from the Native American community and society to move away from ethnic names. The leaders of the Cherokee Nation had been informed by the company that a change would be considered. So much for that. What names are on the horizon for new models: Chief, Braves, Indians, Redskins ??

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,289 Posts
If it is so "new", why didn't they change it's name to reflect that newness?
What's so wrong with keeping the name? For goodness sakes, everyone complains that FCA did not keep nameplates and thought up new ones when the old one was just fine. The Corolla and Camry have been around for 20 years. When a new version is brought to marker, Toyota doesn't change the name. Yes, in some cases a new name is needed when the old one was tarnished, but that isn't the case here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Even in the 1990s, they could not take a car from sketch to production in 3.5 years. They could take it from green light to production in 3.5 years and that was considered amazing.
Raymond Loewy, Tom Kellogg, Brooks Stevens, Richard Teague, Gordon Brehrig, Dutch Darrin, could design on a shoe string budget, a short turnaround, while making the old look new without benefit of computers & software.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's so wrong with keeping the name? For goodness sakes, everyone complains that FCA did not keep nameplates and thought up new ones when the old one was just fine. The Corolla and Camry have been around for 20 years. When a new version is brought to marker, Toyota doesn't change the name. Yes, in some cases a new name is needed when the old one was tarnished, but that isn't the case here.
The name references a tribe of Native Americans at a time when sports teams are FINALLY bowing to Social Sensitivity and removing Native American names from their teams. (Are you listening = Kansas City Chiefs and Atlanta Braves) The company HAD previously PROMISED the leaders of the Cherokee Nation that the continued use of the name "Cherokee" and "Grand Cherokee" would be reviewed and evaluated. While the Town and Country morphed into the name of Pacifica, the lengthened Grand Cherokee, (a perfect time to christen this LONGER Version with a NEW Moniker), simply through the extensive brain power of corporate executives became the...............................................................................
DRUM ROLL..........................................................................................................................................................................
Grand Cherokee L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 95 Posts