Allpar Forums banner

Chrysler Brand Has a Future, Will Be Revitalized with Several New Models

11K views 94 replies 29 participants last post by  68RT 
#1 ·
From the article:

CEO Carlos Tavares confirmed that Stellantis plans to bring back the Chrysler brand from its current neglected state.

Good news for Chrysler: Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares today said the brand will be "relaunched" with "gorgeous" new models.

Full article here:

#2 ·
From the article:

CEO Carlos Tavares confirmed that Stellantis plans to bring back the Chrysler brand from its current neglected state.

Good news for Chrysler: Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares today said the brand will be "relaunched" with "gorgeous" new models.

Full article here:

He seems to be saying the right things, let's see if he can deliver.

#3 ·
Is that really news? I mean, the head of Chrysler said the same thing a few weeks ago. Is C&D really so eager for stories that they'll run "CEO confirms nothing has changed since last month" ?

#4 ·
Yes, that is how news works in the internet age and why companies need to keep saying things to be in the "news" so people do not forget what they said a few weeks ago.

Saturation.

#23 ·
I'm 68 years old. Will I be alive to see it ??
Stellantis has the assets/resources of: Chrysler Corporation, AMC, Fiat, Opel, Peugeot-Citroen.
So where are the new products?
What in the HE** is taking so darn long ??
BTW:
The Gladiator isn't new. They just substituted a pick-up bed for the back end of a Jeep.
The Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are just stretched Grand Cherokees.
The "new" Grand Cherokee isn't new, it has just been restyled and updated.
The 300, Charger, Challenger are so old they are being considered for "classic status.
Meanwhile, SOMEHOW, over at Hyundai/Kia new vehicles are seemingly coming out at the blink of an eye.
HYUNDAI = Palisade, Ioniq, Nexo, Accent, Elantra, Sonota, Veloster, Venue, Kona, Tucson, Santa Fe, Santa Cruz.
(I believe their next new model is slated to be named Santa Claus)
KIA = Niro, Telluride, Soul, Seltos, Sportage, Sorento, Carnival.
Someone once said that in the automobile business companies either:
LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
The current STELLANTIS is so far removed from reality that their path seems to be "GET OUT OF THE WAY".
In reality, STELLANTIS is so distant from automotive relevancy that they are not in anybody's way.

#25 ·
-The Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer are body on frame vehicles and not a stretched Grand Cherokees
-The Grand Cherokee is indeed new and is not using the same platform at all

But outside of that, the reality is there wasn't much product development going on under FCA. When Stellantis took over a bunch of movement began but it takes ~4-6 years to produce a car from scratch (there are rare exceptions, sure). Unfortunately that's just where we're at so don't expect much until 2024 and beyond. Stay healthy.

#27 ·
Gotta be patient. Hyundai didn't start developing the technology and chassis for those cars two years ago. What's more, Hyundai as a whole is still a much larger company.

#31 ·
#1) I have never been a patient person (genetics and home environment)
#2) I have become less patient with the aging process
#3) While STELLANTIS can tell me to be patient and wait, vehicles do not seem to get that message.
With no products that appeal to me available from CDJR, my most recent purchases have been Fords.
#4) That may become a permanent change unless STELLANTIS starts taking us consumers SERIOUS.

#34 ·
Even in the 1990s, they could not take a car from sketch to production in 3.5 years. They could take it from green light to production in 3.5 years and that was considered amazing.

#38 ·
Corolla even went from RWD to FWD in the process...
People know what a Grand Cherokee is.
Also, it's normal to completely re-design a car every decade or two.

#45 ·
We product is years out because there was real zero development going on under FCA. Despite rumors of products (Chrysler version of extended Cherokee, CUV built of Pacifica, etc) all FCA made was excuses. I think they should do a bit more to hype and refresh what they have now. That’s all there is for a few more years. Anything to show the brand isn’t dead.

#52 ·
Before we start blaming everything on government delays, ... the main issue with the time it takes to engineer a vehicle is the time it takes to engineer a vehicle, not the time it takes to provide test data to the EPA and DOT. While those agencies are processing, the automakers are still working. They don't wait.

Let's say it took two years in 1965 to design a car. (The Valiant timeline can be found here on Allpar and probably on valiant.org, by the way, for an insider's view of what really happened in the late 1950s in car development, and we have other stories here telling about the actual process for automotive engineering.)

In 1965, people were okay with a 3.7 liter engine that generated 100 net horsepower, when tuned perfectly, and returned maybe 25 mpg highway, and periodically stalled, and powered a car from 0 to 60 in 12 seconds, and required annual maintenance.

That is no longer the case. Today a car has to pass all sorts of safety tests, go without tuning for 80,000 miles (or as automakers call it “100,000 miles”), use the same spark plugs for that entire time, and if it has a 3.7 liter, people expect around 300 horsepower and 30 mpg highway.

People do not replace alternators, ball joints, etc. every few years. People do not get lube jobs or traditional check-the-timing-and-mixture tuneups twice a year.

It is a different world and it takes longer to develop a car now, but you get a heck of a lot more car.

PS> I own and drive a car from 1974 (not as a daily driver) so I can easily compare the "crappy" 1.4 Dart to the beloved old Valiant slant six. Believe me, there are very few places the Valiant comes out on top. So wait and in 2025 you'll start seeing new Chryslers.

PS> If you really want to compare cars designed in a couple of years to those designed in 3-5 years, look at the performance of a 1970 and 2020 Challenger.

#53 ·
Big deal !! They can make all the new cars they want but they don't know how to market them.
They have "comedians" doing commercials for the Pacifica of all things.
Remember the Dart. The first commercial was another comedian playing a keyboard sitting in a garage singing "don't touch my Dart" with no mention of any qualities of the car and just a glance of the front end of the car.
Big woop !!!

#56 ·
Chrysler needs vehicles. They so mismanaged the car portfolio. 300 was forgotten while they let the dodge boys go.
It needs to be brought back. It still amazes me that no mid size cars are made by the big three besides the malibu and buick

Reactions: Adventurer55
#57 ·
Chrysler needs vehicles. They so mismanaged the car portfolio. 300 was forgotten while they let the dodge boys go.
It needs to be brought back. It still amazes me that no mid size cars are made by the big three besides the malibu and buick
I don't think Buick makes anything but CUV's now either, at least not in the US.

#60 · (Edited)
"Another possibility: the pipeline was not empty but STLA decided to abandon everything in it and start over, just as FCA did when they started Giorgio and dropped the Lx replacements."

I would be inclined to believe this is what's going on. This is why mergers in the auto business are so risky and often fail. By the time the company is fully integrated, they are still behind the competition. So in this case they kinda have to play leapfrog and hope what they already have will get them through till new products come into the pipeline. My worries with going all electric is, the public in general isn't on board yet.

#62 ·
My worries with going all electric is, the public in general isn't on board yet.
1) They are not going all electric until well after 2030
2) The public is snapping up electric vehicles without even test driving them. Go try to find one to buy. Even a Bolt. People who comment on car forums and Facebook loathe BEVs with a passion but the general public, that same general public which loves Corollas, Camrys, and RAV4s, loves them.

#81 ·
I'm not going to get into right or wrong contest on the beginnings of the Viper on here. I will say this, I knew one of the head power train engineers from Chrysler at that time. I also saw the Viper that was at the Detroit show when it debuted in 89 I believe. He told me some stories about that car. If you PM I'll tell you his name. He has high praise and knew Francois quite well. And that IMHO is the main man that started that whole process of thinking that led to them becoming what they were until 98. As I recall it only took them about 36 months or so to introduce the LH cars, that had a brand new engine and a newly designed transaxle. Ask the current company to do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.