Allpar Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
James Mooney said:
So Chrysler, the premium and soon-to-be mainstream brand, gets a FWD midsize crossover (Journey replacement), FWD minivan, and FWD minivan-based crossover. Dodge, the muscle-car brand, keeps the RWD Durango (for now, at least).

Makes sense to me!

_IF_ D-RWD is engineered to make crossovers, I could see a Dodge Nitro (as well as an Alfa Romeo Kamal and possibly a Jeep Patriot) coming from that platform.
I had not read the other thread when I wrote this comment. If they are replacing Durango with the minivan-based CUV, I find that disappointing, as it doesn't fit in with what they seem to be doing with the brands. As the sporty brand, a RWD crossover would make more sense for Dodge to me. If Dodge is going to get a FWD CUV, the smaller one (Journey replacement) would fit better to me.

Also, Dodge is supposed to share with Alfa Romeo, right? Maybe that is just for cars, as Alfa is rumored to be getting a C-CUV related to the Patriot, and possibly a WK crossover related to GC. So maybe Alfa will share cars with Dodge and crossovers with Jeep?

Also, I suspect that the refreshed Durango will last for at least three model years, and that Grand Wagoneer will start during its third year ('16 model year, '15 calendar year). If they are going to overlap Avenger and GC with the new 200 and T&C, respectively, it makes sense they would do the same with Durango and GW.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
dana44 said:
Why not simply build something people want...?
Which people would that be?

What if people #1 didn't like what people #2 wanted?

(Henry Ford allegedly said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.")
James Mooney said:
I had not read the other thread when I wrote this comment. If they are replacing Durango with the minivan-based CUV, I find that disappointing, as it doesn't fit in with what they seem to be doing with the brands. As the sporty brand, a RWD crossover would make more sense for Dodge to me. If Dodge is going to get a FWD CUV, the smaller one (Journey replacement) would fit better to me.

Also, Dodge is supposed to share with Alfa Romeo, right? Maybe that is just for cars, as Alfa is rumored to be getting a C-CUV related to the Patriot, and possibly a WK crossover related to GC. So maybe Alfa will share cars with Dodge and crossovers with Jeep?

Also, I suspect that the refreshed Durango will last for at least three model years, and that Grand Wagoneer will start during its third year ('16 model year, '15 calendar year). If they are going to overlap Avenger and GC with the new 200 and T&C, respectively, it makes sense they would do the same with Durango and GW.
Recall the rumors that the next "E" platform was to support a number of vehicles and drivetrains. Whether that is still in play or not, I do not know.

Alfa will share with whatever platform/brand makes sense for Alfa to share with.

The only thing to stop overlap between Durango and Grand Wagoneer would be plant capacity, I would imagine.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The Journey is finally gaining some momentum and people actually are realizing what it is.
So.....what do we do......we kill it. (Avenger too ?)

No wonder people have no clue as to what most of the vehicles are in the Chrysler Group.

·
Premium Member
20,100 Posts
unverferth said:
The Journey is finally gaining some momentum and people actually are realizing what it is.

No wonder people have no clue as to what most of the vehicles are in the Chrysler Group.
Ditto. Maybe some advertising that gives the names of the vehicles in inventory, too.

·
Registered
12,694 Posts
unverferth said:

But see, those vehicles were made by someone other than current management. There is ego at play here. You see this in some companies and typically leads to boom-bust periods. The auto industry is notorious for having leadership by ego.

I had hoped this would not happen with Fiat, but the offhand comments about previous vehicles tells me a lot about the ego in play here.

·
Premium Member
20,100 Posts
So make a next generation and change it, keep the same name. It is the name following that keeps people from bailing, and even if it is a completely different vehicle, there is something to keep followers happy.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Err... I don't think the Cherokee name on a completely different vehicle is making everyone happy, but I hear what your sayin'. :)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
unverferth said:

Journey has been a hit worldwide since intro, of course except in USA, now that Americans are seeing the kind of value it will son be history, sad for all of those who never saw that on time.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Mr.Source said:
Journey has been a hit worldwide since intro, of course except in USA, now that Americans are seeing the kind of value it will son be history, sad for all of those who never saw that on time.
My daughter has owned a Journey for three years, it replaced her XJ. Its AWD and it could easily have been the replacement for KK, if given the same electronic gimmicks as KL....without the 2 billion dollar investment spent upon the KL.
It's roomier, and has excellent features and options.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts