Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1995 chrysler cirrus few days ago, only 50k but the transmission is in limp in mode. fortunately we have a really expensive scan tool at work and i get to use it so when ever i plug in the scan tool (it shows l/r solenoid circuit error). I tried to reset the codes several times and played around with that snap on scan tool and luckily once it got out of limp in mode but only for five minutes. I was stopped at the red light car jerked and here comes the second gear again. My question is do i need to replace the solenoid pack or it has something to do with the TCM ? I have done done a bit of trouble shooting already like pulling and cleaning all the sensor plugs,solenoid pack connector ,TCM connector, ECM connector, checked continuity between TCM and solenoid connector wires and also had tranny flushed and filled with ATF+4 fliud. Any help to fix this problem will be much much appreciated.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Although the fault code is for the L/R (low/reverse) solenoid, this may not be electrical and can be an internal hydraulic or mechanical problem.
Have you had the pan down for inspection? Can your scan tool access CVI's (clutch volume indexes)? On a road test, does the L/R switch change state (off/on) when shifting in and out of reverse or 1st?
If the 41TE has the upgraded clutch material, ATF+4 only must be used. Is theTCM at the latest and greatest software upgrade? See TSB # 18-24-95. http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello there, I really truly appreciate your reply and I am sorry for being late to get back to you. Yes I dropped the pan inspected for any metal and found nothing unusual except a little metal fuss around the magnet.I had the transmission flushed and new filter and gasket were put in.After doing so and not having any luck I finally ordered new solenoid and just installed it today but when I went for test drive after almost half a kilometer Limp in mode again kicked in.I checked the continuity between TCM and solenoid plug and it is all good, no shorts to ground and no opens.I still have to check the CVI's on my scan tool but if the problem was due to a the faulty solenoid then it should have been fixed with new Dorman 698-100 that I put in. Even with the old solenoid transmission used to run normal once in a while for like 2-5 minutes then would have the same problem.if you can you lead me to further troubleshooting i will really appreciate once again. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Does the scan tool show the L/R switch changing from off to on when you shift out of Park into R or D? The L/R switch or shuttle valve may be failing and some are contained inside the valve body and not the solenoid pack.
Ruling out an electrical issue is the first step and then you have to look for hydraulic/mechanical causes. A leaking L/R clutch won't build enough pressure to close the switch. Some shuttles worn or stuck in the valve body. If the TCM doesn't see the L/R solenoid pressure change the switch state when it is commanded on, then it may set the solenoid circuit fault.
This isn't a Chrysler manual, but it does cover diagnostics with a Snap-On MT2500, OTC 4000 or Vertronix scan tool well. Fault code 41 is also P0750. Follow the troubleshooting procedure and look at the possible causes and you should hopefully find your answer.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/93730784/41TE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your help my friend. I am still going to check if the LR solenoid turning on and off while driving but other than that I have checked the resistance and continuity between solenoid and Tcm and all the parameters are seem to be normal . Do you know why the transmission acts normal once in a while?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Event data or freeze frame data screens are stored in the PCM/TCM for most fault codes.
If your scan tool can display this information, you may find a sensor, input or output reading that doesn't make sense for the circumstances under which the fault occurred.
It may take some Sherlock Holmes-style investigation piecing together the various scan tool clues that are provided to you.
Write everything down before erasing the faults.
If you felt the limp-in 'bump' at a stop, try live data reading with the scan tool on a road test. Make it 'act up' or find out what keeps it from 'acting up' and going into limp-in if the fault becomes intermittent.
Let someone else drive while you watch the tool display and take notes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts