Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a passenger side rear view mirror for my 1976 cordoba. I have the all chrome, remote stick kind on the drivers side.

did they make one like this for the passenger side? If so, was the remote stick on the door panel as well? or was it in the dash?

Are there other cars with the same style mirror?

Any info on this is appreciated.

thanks,

roger t.

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
If this is the kind of mirror you mean on this 1979 Cordoba:

Yes, they could be ordered with a remote control for the passenger side. The other midsized cars of that era used them, as did the smaller Aspen and Volare. The bigger cars usually had a rectangular mirror. In this picture you can see where the passenger remote runs to, between the radio and steering column though there is a bezel that screws on and is missing in this picture.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If this is the kind of mirror you mean on this 1979 Cordoba:
Yes, they could be ordered with a remote control for the passenger side. The other midsized cars of that era used them, as did the smaller Aspen and Volare. The bigger cars usually had a rectangular mirror. In this picture you can see where the passenger remote runs to, between the radio and steering column though there is a bezel that screws on and is missing in this picture.

yes!! that's exactly that I needed!! thanks!!

I saw a 77 dodge monaco at the junkyard, and I remember it had the exact same driver side mirror as that. I need to back and see if it has the pass side one.

As far as the bezel goes, would it be this right here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrome-Mirror-Bezel-70-71-72-73-74-75-Satellite-Coronet-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2560be5137QQitemZ160536875319QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I can get mine from the donor car, but if you nee one there it is!

Thanks so much for the visual. I'm gonna save these pics!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3882075 R chrome remote

3882076 R chrome racing

3882077 R primer racing

I have 3882077 NOS

I went to a local junkyard and was extatic to find one!!

I put it on this weekend. When I removed the plastic lower dash bezel, I could see from the back side where the hole was supposed to go so I drilled it out! The hole had to be 7/8" big all the way through because the knob doesn't detach from the cables!

It was quite the project, but it looks exactly like a factory job. love it!

Thanks for all the help!!

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
Glad you found the part you needed. I still need to make sure I have the bezel missing in my picture above, I think it's in the ashtray.

C

·
0 Posts
I would like to do the same, how did you run the cable? Did you put the mirror in the same place on the passenger side as the drivers side? Any pictures?

Thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
This thread is a couple of years old now.

C

·
0 Posts
TWX said:
This thread is a couple of years old now.
Yeah, I know, but I have asked this question on another site and no one responded. The guy who posted originally is still an active member, so I thought I would give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
I've never had to install a passenger side mirror as the Cordobas I owned always had that option. I don't think there is any indication of exactly where on the door to mount it, though you can use the driver's location as a guide.

I have replaced a bad mirror and you simply need to snake the cable out of the door (I don't know if you'll find a plugged hole or need to drill a hole to route the cable) the run the cable through to the location on the instrument panel. Hopefully the original poster will provide more details on that. You may want to send a Private Message (PM) to him just in case he does not regularly visit.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If I remember when I get home I can take some measurements. My mirrors are off the car as it's been painted but not been reassembled.

I did not install a new passenger's side mirror, but I did replace my older round mirrors with the oval "sport" mirrors. My passenger's side window control is near the radio if memory serves, and the cable snakes through the door and dash to reach it.

EDIT: duh, val already posted a picture, years ago...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Okay, got images in my Garage Entry...

Measured from the front edge of the door

Measured from the top of the lip of the door, looking at about a 45 degree angle

Measured from the top lip of the door, looking down from the top

This is a '78, while I expect your '76 to be the same, I make no guarantees.

C

·
0 Posts
Wow! Awesome photo's. Thanks so much, they will be a great help!

Looks like a sweet car! Are you changing the color of the vinyl top? Would love to see pictures when you are done!

Thanks again!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
The original picture, the car didn't have a vinyl top anymore. That was a repair done by the previous owner who had the top removed and then the area stripped of adhesive and painted. I've had a white top put on, but I'm not as happy with what it looks like as I hoped I'd be. If I can find better material I may have the top replaced. Know a good source for white alligator vinyl?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Probably not padded. The vinyl-ish strip across is in a texture like a friend's '78 Cordoba's roof with its top still intact, and it's also like the bits of top from the '78 Magnum that I used to have as well.

·
Super Moderator
36,928 Posts
There were three vinyl roof options on the Cordoba.
1) A non-padded landau vinyl roof that covered just the rear 1/3 or so and was by far the most common.
2) A non-padded full vinyl roof (called a halo roof because it left some metal uncovered at the edge)
3) A padded crown vinyl roof which used was unique looking and rare.
You could also delete the vinyl roof on the Cordoba but that was pretty rare. The raised strip across the front of the top with the landau roof that incorporated the side lights changed from matching the vinyl top material (1975-1978) to stainless (1979). Chargers and Magnums did not have this raised strip.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
valiant67 said:
There were three vinyl roof options on the Cordoba.
1) A non-padded landau vinyl roof that covered just the rear 1/3 or so and was by far the most common.
2) A non-padded full vinyl roof (called a halo roof because it left some metal uncovered at the edge)
3) A padded crown vinyl roof which used was unique looking and rare.
You could also delete the vinyl roof on the Cordoba but that was pretty rare. The raised strip across the front of the top with the landau roof that incorporated the side lights changed from matching the vinyl top material (1975-1978) to stainless (1979). Chargers and Magnums did not have this raised strip.
I almost bought a green '79 that had factory no vinyl roof. The seller, an old lady, and I couldn't come to an agreement on price. She'd already broken the grille and one of the corner lights and cracked the header panel by hitting something, but the rest of the car was in good shape. I just couldn't justify the expenditure. Car was also a one-piece bench seat car, which I'd only seen one other example of, in a junkyard.

C

·
0 Posts
I really like the two tone hard tops I've seen. They are really sharp.

I believe the bench seat was the base. 60/40 splits were the next step (and probably most common), and then the leather buckets were top of the line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts