Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of Chrysler vehicles in the movies and TV. Right now I'm revisiting Mannix the PI. They used mostly Chrysler products for most of the shows 8 season run, except for the first and last seasons. I've always wondered how they sponsored cars for the shows and the movies. Does anyone have any insight on how that worked backed in the day?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,889 Posts
No idea but here's a little list. Mopars on Television

I liked the Hill Street Blues scenes because they actually ran the cars at those speeds and “watch ’em fishtail!” - unlike most shows where they drive slowly and speed it up.

A lot of people's favorites were well before my time (like Adam-12). I will admit Rockford Files was one of two influences on my getting a Camaro. The other was my shoe store manager's Camaro, which was utterly luxurious and fun compared with my Valiant. Hate to be disloyal but the Camaro was, as a driver or passenger, a much better car; in terms of reliability and cost, that's another story.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've always been a fan of Chrysler vehicles in the movies and TV. Right now I'm revisiting Mannix the PI. They used mostly Chrysler products for most of the shows 8 season run, except for the first and last seasons. I've always wondered how they sponsored cars for the shows and the movies. Does anyone have any insight on how that worked backed in the day?
Did you notice the Simca and then Dodge Colt driven by Peggy Fair?

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,283 Posts

I liked the Hill Street Blues scenes because they actually ran the cars at those speeds and “watch ’em fishtail!” - unlike most shows where they drive slowly and speed it up.

A lot of people's favorites were well before my time (like Adam-12). I will admit Rockford Files was one of two influences on my getting a Camaro. The other was my shoe store manager's Camaro, which was utterly luxurious and fun compared with my Valiant. Hate to be disloyal but the Camaro was, as a driver or passenger, a much better car; in terms of reliability and cost, that's another story.
My first car was a 1968 Camaro 327 2-speed auto I bought as a teenager in 1978. If I had been able to keep it, it would be worth a nice chunk of change today. Unfortunately, I wrecked it about 18 months after I bought it.

• Wow
Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,127 Posts
DeSoto sponsored Groucho Marx and Dodge sponsored Lawrence Welk with Larry Hooper singing "Dodge had a good time too!" at the end.
Chrysler sponsored Bob Hope

·
Super Moderator
40,486 Posts
The tv/movie business was big enough that Chrysler supplied “1972” model Challengers and Barracudas for film.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Emergency," the one-hour series about rescue, firefighters and a hospital emergency department, used Dodge trucks for the rescue squad. Police patrol cars and fire chief cars varied...Plymouth fuselage Satellites, full size Chevrolets and a Matador. The show was a Jack Webb production, like Adam-12, where cars accurately portrayed what Los Angeles Police were using: 1966-1971 Plymouth Belvederes and Satellites, 1972-1974 Matadors.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tv/movie business was big enough that Chrysler supplied “1972” model Challengers and Barracudas for film.
Not just a 72 Cuda, which wasn't a big deal, but a 72 and a 73 convertible. Which there were none. But he had them. In truth it was a 71 with 72 and 73 parts added. His final Mopar was a 74 Challenger with a vinyl top and sunroof.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Except Rockford drove a Firebird, not a Camaro.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Basic Instinct (movie) had one of the wildest police chases ever filmed. That squad was an unmarked M-body Fury. M body critics would do well to study that performance.

Thelma and Louise - M bodies galore

Planes Trains and Automobiles had a brief appearance of Wisconsin's finest with a WSP Diplomat (although the Patrol used the Plymouth through 1987).

Beverly Hills Cop movies - B, R, and M.bodies

Stephen King movie Sleepwalkers - prominently featured an M body Fury

Blues Brothers - they destroyed dozens of C bodies

CHiPs - C, B, R bodies

Dukes - B body

BJ and the Bear - B and C bodies

Smokey and the Bandit - B and C bodies.

Early ('87-'93) COPS episodes - lots of M bodies

·
Super Moderator
40,486 Posts
There is a big difference between the two sources of Chrysler corp cars in old movies and TV shows,
  • Police cars were very often Chrysler products because the studios bought surplus CHP and LAPD units (among others) and those fleets were heavy with Dodge and Plymouth (depending on the agency) used. These were more accidental, use what’s there cars. Chrysler corp. had no involvement.
  • “Promotional” placement like the Drysdale Imperial, Miss Jane’s Dodge convertibles (Beverly Hillbillies), the Brady Bunch cars, etc. we’re intentionally placed for product exposure by Chrysler.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,889 Posts
Except Rockford drove a Firebird, not a Camaro.
He did but I didn't care ;) It was close enough.

I specifically leave out Beverly Hills Cop from my potential favorites because of the sheer number of Valiants, Darts, and Dusters pointlessly destroyed in the first five minutes.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
100 Posts
The movie Twister is on at our house atleast once a week. I will never get enough of that 2nd gen driving through tornados like a champ. I shed a tear every time for the jeep truck that gets smashed early. Aswell as the FLEET of newly redesigned minivans on showcase.

AND the 88 5th ave in Breaking Bad was the star of the show.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Basic Instinct (movie) had one of the wildest police chases ever filmed. That squad was an unmarked M-body Fury. M body critics would do well to study that performance.

Thelma and Louise - M bodies galore

Planes Trains and Automobiles had a brief appearance of Wisconsin's finest with a WSP Diplomat (although the Patrol used the Plymouth through 1987).

Beverly Hills Cop movies - B, R, and M.bodies

Stephen King movie Sleepwalkers - prominently featured an M body Fury

Blues Brothers - they destroyed dozens of C bodies

CHiPs - C, B, R bodies

Dukes - B body

BJ and the Bear - B and C bodies

Smokey and the Bandit - B and C bodies.

Early ('87-'93) COPS episodes - lots of M bodies
Beverly hill billies was all Chrysler other than their truck. Ms Hathaway usually had a convertable dart or similar, Mr Drysdale had Imperials. other delivery guys may have had Dodge trucks of one type or another.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,231 Posts
Jack Benny's Maxwell:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts