Allpar Forums banner

181 - 200 of 366 Posts

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
The Charger has more new content than your iPhone does...
That might be true for me (also 6S - but Plus!)
No, wait, hold on... the 6S dates to calendar year 2015. The last major update to Charger and Challenger, unless you get a Hellcat, was 2015 - released in 2014!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
[Rude image removed by moderator.]
I don't like the goverment to force technology..but electric cars are more efficent and more powerfull. The weak link is the battery which will be solved....You can always add speaker to the car to get that hemi roar.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
The iPhone has a new processor every single year, three new cameras including different sensors, lenses, etc, an entirely new body with stainless steel and glass instead of aluminum, abandoned Touch ID in favor of Face ID, an OLED screen instead of LCD, has been through five major software revisions that include new features, has a much larger battery, and a ton of other upgrades. Plus whatever they release this year, which will be the second major hardware revision and include a new ToF sensor for the camera, plus 5G and some other things...

The only way that you can make the argument that more changed between 2015 and 2021 on the Charger than changed between 2015 and 2021 on the iPhone is if the Charger had been fully redesigned between those years, which it hasn't.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
So where do I attach those hooks in the trunk of the Challenger? I pulled out all the factory trim panels in the trunk and found nowhere to put a hook without drilling. I looked at alternatives which just fasten to the trunk side liner, but it pulls down without any weight attached to it.

Please tell me what the dealer needs to activate in the computer to program the easy entry/exit as they told me it couldn't be done.
It would seem to me the easy entry/exit for the front seat could also be programmed to make it easier to exit the back seat after the driver has left the car. They also told me they'd put a spare tire in it, then back tracked when they found out Mopar doesn't even offer it as an aftermarket alternative as in other vehicles. They agreed to reimburse me for parts from a salvage car. I know why they omit the spare tire (save money and save weight). But there is no excuse to not to allow it as a dealer install option like they've done on other products.

When Power Dollars came into play, MSRP wasn't adjusted up $3k on a base Challenger or Charger or $7k on the top models.
You introduce incentives because products aren't selling as well as you want. There can be several reasons:
1) The public sees the product as overpriced for what it is.
2) Demand in general is soft.
3) You want to lure in negative equity buyers.
etc.
There are write-ups online for just this. The more 300-like install has you replace two flat retainers on the floor just outside of the spare tire cover with the rings and then use the grocery bag hooks for the top. (Or if you don't have those hooks, install the second set of rings where those rings would go.

An alternative has you use a hole that's covered by the carpet but basically where the taillight panel and truck side panel meet. Remove the carpet from the side of the trunk and you'll see all sorts of options.

300-Style Mounting:

Custom lower location; should work with OEM rings:

Taillight retainer mounting:

The rings are similar to a christmas tree. Not much to them. There are several retainers you can replace that should work well.

The East/Exit Entry feature is hidden in the Memory Seat Module (MSM) menu in the PCM. It can be turned on or off via the WiTech scanner only. (It can't be selected easily like it is in a Charger or 300.)

Challenger automatic easy entry/exit feature enabled (at https://www.hellcat.org/threads/challenger-automatic-easy-entry-exit-feature-enabled.125041/ )

Tazor's scanner/programmer also seems to have recently added this, but that's aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The iPhone has a new processor every single year, three new cameras including different sensors, lenses, etc, an entirely new body with stainless steel and glass instead of aluminum, abandoned Touch ID in favor of Face ID, an OLED screen instead of LCD, has been through five major software revisions that include new features, has a much larger battery, and a ton of other upgrades. Plus whatever they release this year, which will be the second major hardware revision and include a new ToF sensor for the camera, plus 5G and some other things...

The only way that you can make the argument that more changed between 2015 and 2021 on the Charger than changed between 2015 and 2021 on the iPhone is if the Charger had been fully redesigned between those years, which it hasn't.
Sorry, usually we agree on many things and I am just trying to bring some humor into this while there is also some truth to this: The main thing that I remember from all of the recent iPhone OS upgrades is more emojis, something that I don’t care about. :) While I get all these updates are improvements I doubt that once I upgrade to a new iPhone I will use it much differently. I get it that the camera is a lot better now. But I am one of those guys who doesn’t mind also having a decent digital standalone camera, prefer watching movies on a bigger screen, etc. I feel like a lot of these changes are being made because they have hundreds of engineers that need to stay busy and of course they need to sell new stuff. But personally the recent changes haven’t been those that I need, especially given the cost. They might double the resolution every two years but at one point my eyes won’t know the difference. Same thing with a 900hp Hellcat or a 1000hp Hybrid M5.

:)

Reactions: Jerry Simcik

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
There are write-ups online for just this. The more 300-like install has you replace two flat retainers on the floor just outside of the spare tire cover with the rings and then use the grocery bag hooks for the top. (Or if you don't have those hooks, install the second set of rings where those rings would go.

An alternative has you use a hole that's covered by the carpet but basically where the taillight panel and truck side panel meet. Remove the carpet from the side of the trunk and you'll see all sorts of options.

300-Style Mounting:

Custom lower location; should work with OEM rings:

Taillight retainer mounting:

The rings are similar to a christmas tree. Not much to them. There are several retainers you can replace that should work well.

The East/Exit Entry feature is hidden in the Memory Seat Module (MSM) menu in the PCM. It can be turned on or off via the WiTech scanner only. (It can't be selected easily like it is in a Charger or 300.)

Challenger automatic easy entry/exit feature enabled (at https://www.hellcat.org/threads/challenger-automatic-easy-entry-exit-feature-enabled.125041/ )

Tazor's scanner/programmer also seems to have recently added this, but that's aftermarket.
As I said, I took everything out of the trunk. I would have had to drill holes. Mounting to the tail light nuts kind of deletes most of the benefits of putting the net in as it eliminates the purpose.
By the way, your top picture shown had to drill to mount.

What I want to know is why you are so defensive of FCA’s failure to make provisions for a $10 cargo net that they could charge $25 or $50 for.

Reactions: voiceofstl

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
Sorry, usually we agree on many things and I am just trying to bring some humor into this while there is also some truth to this: The main thing that I remember from all of the recent iPhone OS upgrades is more emojis, something that I don’t care about. :) While I get all these updates are improvements I doubt that once I upgrade to a new iPhone I will use it much differently. I get it that the camera is a lot better now. But I am one of those guys who doesn’t mind also having a decent digital standalone camera, prefer watching movies on a bigger screen, etc. I feel like a lot of these changes are being made because they have hundreds of engineers that need to stay busy and of course they need to sell new stuff. But personally the recent changes haven’t been those that I need, especially given the cost. They might double the resolution every two years but at one point my eyes won’t know the difference. Same thing with a 900hp Hellcat or a 1000hp Hybrid M5.

:)
I get the features thing. But especially when physical media is dead (music) compatibility with your handheld device becomes an issue. Like my Journey 8.4 system - iP4 no problem - full functionality with the UConnect media player. iP4S - still worked but buggier. iP6 - worked only some of the time when plugged in. Samsung Galaxy S8 - "USB device not recognized". So now I've had to dump a bunch of mp3's onto a thumb drive and I just leave that plugged into the USB port in the Journey.

I hadn't used Android Auto until I rented a 300 last year. It works so well it's just awesome.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I get the features thing. But especially when physical media is dead (music) compatibility with your handheld device becomes an issue. Like my Journey 8.4 system - iP4 no problem - full functionality with the UConnect media player. iP4S - still worked but buggier. iP6 - worked only some of the time when plugged in. Samsung Galaxy S8 - "USB device not recognized". So now I've had to dump a bunch of mp3's onto a thumb drive and I just leave that plugged into the USB port in the Journey.

I hadn't used Android Auto until I rented a 300 last year. It works so well it's just awesome.
I guess it is easier for us Springsteen fans. SiriusXM Channel 20. :) But I understand what you mean. Guess I haven’t tried those features or just used my ow older iPod mini...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
As I said, I took everything out of the trunk. I would have had to drill holes. Mounting to the tail light nuts kind of deletes most of the benefits of putting the net in as it eliminates the purpose.
By the way, your top picture shown had to drill to mount.

What I want to know is why you are so defensive of FCA’s failure to make provisions for a $10 cargo net that they could charge $25 or $50 for.
You do not have to drill any holes. You replace the standard "christmas tree" carpet retainers with the rings. That's it! There are several of those you would have had to remove the pull the carpet...

The taillight thing works well enough, but I don't like it personally. If I was gonna go that route, I'd buy the GM version of that same nut which has hooks on it for their nets. I also do see the point of constantly attaching/re-attaching the net. Ours stays up (installed) all the time...

I don't know why the factory doesn't offer the net, but the easy exit is a safety thing. If those were drastic issues for you, the Charger has had both for years...

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
Challenger also does not offer memory seat, lane departure warning, or power passenger seat. The Charger has had all of those for years too. It should not be hard to add them to the Challenger.

An HD back-up camera like the one on the JL, JT, and new Rams would be nice, but that’s just dreaming when they won’t even do the things mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
You do not have to drill any holes. You replace the standard "christmas tree" carpet retainers with the rings. That's it! There are several of those you would have had to remove the pull the carpet...

The taillight thing works well enough, but I don't like it personally. If I was gonna go that route, I'd buy the GM version of that same nut which has hooks on it for their nets. I also do see the point of constantly attaching/re-attaching the net. Ours stays up (installed) all the time...

I don't know why the factory doesn't offer the net, but the easy exit is a safety thing. If those were drastic issues for you, the Charger has had both for years...
Charger is too “boy racer” for my taste. I didn’t like it in 2006 and I don’t like it now.

Reactions: James A

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Challenger also does not offer memory seat, lane departure warning, or power passenger seat. The Charger has had all of those for years too. It should not be hard to add them to the Challenger.

An HD back-up camera like the one on the JL, JT, and new Rams would be nice, but that’s just dreaming when they won’t even do the things mentioned above.
I wish they had made up their mind years ago that they will stick with these cars and then at least done some incremental updates. No reason it couldn't get the Durango interior upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
I wish they had made up their mind years ago that they will stick with these cars and then at least done some incremental updates. No reason it couldn't get the Durango interior upgrades.
The new Durango interior looks fantastic and with the minor exterior updates, it still seems like a new vehicle.

·
Registered
958 Posts
To suggest that automotive design and manufacturing is even remotely applicable to electronics design and manufacturing is laughable.

There are so many more regulatory and safety gating components of automotive design, the material occupies orders of magnitude more physical space, the number of options on vehicle trims and the subsequent downstream effect on material sequencing in purchasing/EDI + supplier MRP forecasting, the manufacturing process and factory environment requires a certain subset of individuals to extert real physical strength/strain...that's just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
643 Posts
To suggest that automotive design and manufacturing is even remotely applicable to electronics design and manufacturing is laughable.

There are so many more regulatory and safety gating components of automotive design, the material occupies orders of magnitude more physical space, the number of options on vehicle trims and the subsequent downstream effect on material sequencing in purchasing/EDI + supplier MRP forecasting, the manufacturing process and factory environment requires a certain subset of individuals to extert real physical strength/strain...that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Like the bumper height requirements put auto designers in a box, because the requirement makes all sedans have a fat face front end.
It's not as bad of an issue on trucks and suvs because they are naturally designed to have a high beltline.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
So we are hearing rumblings from Automotive News that FCA for some reason wants to split Jeep from the FCA dealerships and give them their own show rooms. Could this be a big stinking failure of an idea or could this actually benefit Chrysler/Dodge into getting some new SUVs in their showrooms? Hmmm.

Also the TRX has premiered. I am excited, as it will draw in buyers for the selected segment it is in. But for most people, this isn't something they will buy. This is just ego stroking more or less for Ram. Maybe they should have had a Dakota product years ago instead of this. But don't get me wrong, I think it's cool to have a Raptor competitor, just not sure if it was needed before other products.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok Ram this is the opportunity to make a splash who is in your marketing room im confused they are a little hesitant in the opportunity knocks department.

You have the

TRX that is your off road high price raptor killer now maximize your opportunity.

Launch a

SRX edition its a TRX made for the street, it essentially the same vehicle but more street oriented with speed as the focus suspension difference with lowering and different tires. It also pays homage to the SRT-10 edition and Cadillac let the trademark go this year.

Then launch a SRT-TR which is your off road less expensive 6.4 liter TRX with less expensive suspension and engine

Then the SRT-SR which is your SRT-TR made for the street it essentially the same vehicle but more street oriented with speed as the focus

You have 4 vehicles instead of one with parts that are already in your stable with price points across the range.

Ram with these 4 vehicles would gain alot more market share.

FCA or Stallantis lets be revolutionary not stuck in your ways... Sometimes I think they are shy with making money properly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Someone posted this on the forum. It's from some Facebook group, IT IS NOT REAL. So don't think it is, lol. But it gives you an idea of what a rebadged Chrysler could look like or just what a new Chrysler sedan could look like with Chrysler's new face coming on the Pacifica. I think it's a good face, but more generic and anonymous. But it could definitely fit a luxury sedan to compete with the lower rungs of a Lincoln or Cadillac. Not the top levels though... not yet at least.

Have fun dreaming a bit of Chrysler's future and what it could be.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Someone posted this on the forum. It's from some Facebook group, IT IS NOT REAL. So don't think it is, lol. But it gives you an idea of what a rebadged Chrysler could look like or just what a new Chrysler sedan could look like with Chrysler's new face coming on the Pacifica. I think it's a good face, but more generic and anonymous. But it could definitely fit a luxury sedan to compete with the lower rungs of a Lincoln or Cadillac. Not the top levels though... not yet at least.

Have fun dreaming a bit of Chrysler's future and what it could be.

That's a step or two backwards... That interior is bland and disjointed and has far too much screen and not enough buttons. Secondly, it looks like an old, fugly Audi upfront and the rear end looks like the ran out of clay when they were making the model. No thanks...

If you want a car that looks more like that, go buy a used 200... Chrysler got that car right and no one cared or wanted one at the time...

181 - 200 of 366 Posts