Allpar Forums banner

301 - 320 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't see that happening. I think there would be interest in an electric Ram pickup, Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler, but not in Chrysler branded cars or crossovers.
Why not? The Pacifica already has hybrid versions, and has credibility with its autonomous technology partnership with Waymo.
I think that gives Chrysler some credibility, and partnering Chrysler with Maserati as lower end/higher end Electric brands makes sense.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
In a few years every brand and manufacturer will have some sort of electrification. There will be systems from mild hybrids to full battery electric, and plugin hybrids. Mild hybrid systems will go beyond belt driven generator/starter to more integrated P2 setups.

Tesla is the cool ride right now, and a lot of brands want to be Tesla. Electrification is a necessity in Europe for a number of reasons, and the regulatory push here is not far behind. But this is a lot less about meeting emissions standards and more about being cool and staying relevant.

Even the 48 volt systems like Ram uses requires serious design changes. That's why Ram had to wait until a generational change to use it. Which is also why the Lx cars haven't offered 48V yet.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Yup, electric isn't enough to set a brand apart, unless it's a brand new brand from a new automaker. If GM came out with the Ampere or Faraday or Edison or Maxwell (not that Maxwell) or Franklin today, it would be met with yawns. A Chinese company like Nio, now, they might gather some attention.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
For all the talk about demand for electric cars, the full size non-luxury sedan market in the US is still larger than the EV market.

Granted one is shrinking and one is growing nut you’d never guess the EV market is smaller from all the raving about EVs.

Reactions: Donte Lindsey

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
For all the talk about demand for electric cars, the large non-luxury sedan market in the US is still larger than the EV market.
Is it, though? Tesla has sold roughly 229,000 YTD in the US. The Charger is at roughly 54,000, and the 300 is at a little over 11,000. Are there another 165,000 large non-luxury sedan sales out there YTD?

Edit: I only picked Tesla because all of their models are electric, rather than trying to pick out EV sales of other models.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Is it, though? Tesla has sold roughly 229,000 YTD in the US. The Charger is at roughly 54,000, and the 300 is at a little over 11,000. Are there another 165,000 large non-luxury sedan sales out there YTD?

Edit: I only picked Tesla because all of their models are electric, rather than trying to pick out EV sales of other models.
Yes, the numbers I used were from goodcarbadcar and the US government tally of EVs. I can post exact numbers later.

Reactions: page2171

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
You coming up with your speculation lineup for Chrysler/Dodge?
I had it started, but I just don't have time right now with work unfortunately. I made it too big an endeavor. :-\ But I am sure someday I will update it, upgrade it, and release it. I appreciate you asking though.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Here are the numbers I used, from 2019. I didn't chase down the 2020 numbers.
From GoodCarBadCar, US Large Car sales (excluding luxury): 256,604 (Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Ford Taurus, Kia Cadenza, Kia K900, Nissan Maxima, )Toyota Avalon
From US Department of Energy, EV sales: 242,000 (they don't list the individual models, just the sum total).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here are the numbers I used, from 2019. I didn't chase down the 2020 numbers.
From GoodCarBadCar, US Large Car sales (excluding luxury): 256,604 (Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Ford Taurus, Kia Cadenza, Kia K900, Nissan Maxima, )Toyota Avalon
From US Department of Energy, EV sales: 242,000 (they don't list the individual models, just the sum total).
So, I think we are both right, we were just looking at different sets of numbers. It looks like EV sales will be up significantly in 2020 and large cars down significantly in 2020.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
So, I think we are both right, we were just looking at different sets of numbers. It looks like EV sales will be up significantly in 2020 and large cars down significantly in 2020.
Probably. If I knew all the individual ones DoE used for their numbers, I’d do a mid year update.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
For all the talk about demand for electric cars, the full size non-luxury sedan market in the US is still larger than the EV market.

Granted one is shrinking and one is growing nut you’d never guess the EV market is smaller from all the raving about EVs.
Growing market vs shrinking market, the absolute size tends not to matter to decision-makers - a bit of a fallacy, really. That said, Europe, as others have noted, requires electrics to meet emissions and economy rules, given that diesel can't compete when emissions standards are enforced. 'Course they could do hybrids instead of electrics. I still think electrics really are best for vans á la Rivian and performance cars.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Better hurry and get it done before both brands get discontinued!:p:D
Plymouth had more promised (and actually coming) new models when it was dropped than Dodge and Chrysler combined do now.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Plymouth had more promised (and actually coming) new models when it was dropped than Dodge and Chrysler combined do now.
Very true...Which made DamnLiar's murder of Plymouth an even bigger outrage!

Contrast that with today, where some could make the argument that discontinuing Chrysler would almost be an act of Euthanasia.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very true...Which made DamnLiar's murder of Plymouth an even bigger outrage!

Contrast that with today, where some could make the argument that discontinuing Chrysler would almost be an act of Euthanasia.
Didn't some of Plymouth's new product go to Chrysler...the PT was supposed to be a Plymouth originally.
They won't get rid of Chrysler, because they need a brand in the US to sell Peugeot under.
Small-15811-All-newPeugeot208ande-208prices-and-specifications.jpg

This could be the new Electrified Chrysler PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket, but 2020 will be a bad year for plugin vehicles. The pandemic has delayed some new model introductions, and has also caused supplier issues. There have been reports of vehicle fires while fast charging some of the recently introduced models. Ford's PHEV Escape was postponed until the 2021 model year because of this. I don't know if it will delay the electric Mustang crossover. The battery electrics of other brands are having problems as well.

This isn't a putdown of electric vehicle technology, it is just a time of stepping back after the tech has moved so far forward.

301 - 320 of 366 Posts