Allpar Forums banner

321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket, but 2020 will be a bad year for plugin vehicles. The pandemic has delayed some new model introductions, and has also caused supplier issues. There have been reports of vehicle fires while fast charging some of the recently introduced models. Ford's PHEV Escape was postponed until the 2021 model year because of this. I don't know if it will delay the electric Mustang crossover. The battery electrics of other brands are having problems as well.

This isn't a putdown of electric vehicle technology, it is just a time of stepping back after the tech has moved so far forward.
You just try telling any of this to the cult of smug, insufferable Tesla Worshippers / Elon devotees who seem to spend every waking minute of every day...(sometimes multiple times a day)...making YouTube videos constantly proclaiming the death of the traditional automotive industry...and that the only legitimate / worthwhile player left will be...of course...Tesla.

I don't know why I let myself get sucked into watching these videos. When I do...I just wish I could SCREAM...and SCREAM...and SCREAM!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I believe if Stallantis does delete chrysler and try to implement one of the PSA brands it will be backlash and consumers will push away from the brands. We will see but if it happens Im totally out.
I do think that Stellantis will try to introduce some brands in the US, but it's core products will go to Chrysler, because it is easier to sell stuff in a known entity.
I say this, because if they wanted to axe Chrysler they already had the perfect opportunity to do it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I do think that Stellantis will try to introduce some brands in the US, but it's core products will go to Chrysler, because it is easier to sell stuff in a known entity.
I say this, because if they wanted to axe Chrysler they already had the perfect opportunity to do it.
Exactly. Look at Alfa and FIAT's return, break down their struggles however you want, Chrysler is the more familiar name and would make more sense to sell Peugeots as Chryslers rather than re-launch a brand people aren't familiar with.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Exactly. Look at Alfa and FIAT's return, break down their struggles however you want, Chrysler is the more familiar name and would make more sense to sell Peugeots as Chryslers rather than re-launch a brand people aren't familiar with.
Echo both your sentiments. My thoughts, Carlos Tavares will see the dearth of a lineup with Chrysler and Dodge as an opportunity to fill it. Do that successfully with PSA platforms and Giorgio Global as is prudent, then use that as a springboard to bring Peugeot into NAFTA.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
Realistically...

How many Americans love Chrysler? How many hate it?

I suspect they could replace it with Peugeot or DS and few will complain about anything other than the spelling of ‘Peugeot.’ There's also Citroën where people will complain about the ë (Mac users: option-u, then e).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Realistically...

I suspect they could replace it with Peugeot or DS and few will complain about anything other than the spelling of ‘Peugeot.’ There's also Citroën where people will complain about the ë (Mac users: option-u, then e).
I suspect their will be some trepidation launching any of those brands in the US right out of the gate.
It's hard to launch an unknown quantity in a saturated auto market. People know Chrysler for better or worse...the name means something, if that makes sense. And when they get a product right, like the mid 2000's 300...it usually sells well.

It makes sense to throw product from the 3 European PSA brands into one known US brand (Chrysler)...if it looks good, is designed well, and has decent reliability it will sell well.

Does anyone know the reliability scores for Peugeot, DS, and Citroen?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't see any Peugeot and Citroen coming here, either as brands or as vehicles for any domestic brand. It will just contribute a platform for the next generation Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I suspect their will be some trepidation launching any of those brands in the US right out of the gate.
It's hard to launch an unknown quantity in a saturated auto market. People know Chrysler for better or worse...the name means something, if that makes sense. And when they get a product right, like the mid 2000's 300...it usually sells well.

It makes sense to throw product from the 3 European PSA brands into one known US brand (Chrysler)...if it looks good, is designed well, and has decent reliability it will sell well.

Does anyone know the reliability scores for Peugeot, DS, and Citroen?
But yet, FCA poisoned the car market for Chrysler. Anyone that saw their new 200 plummet in value after Sergio discontinued them will be reluctant to take a chance again. Any new Chrysler branded product has to be stunning from a design standpoint, and they've got to address quality - maybe start bumping the warranty up again? Chrysler could benefit from nice CUVs, for sure,

·
Registered
231 Posts
and they've got to address quality - maybe start bumping the warranty up again?,
This is a large part of why I didn't buy another Charger, or a Ram. It's just too much money to he SoL. My last Charger cost me wayyy more in repairs than any car I've ever owned. People can harp it was one of few all they want but it was my expereince and it sticks. The undersized brakes, oil consumption/gunking, bad front ends etc etc made me afraid to buy again. If they were offering stout warranties that might have changed my mind. I'll still play with old Chrysler's but their time in my driveway as a daily is done.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This is a large part of why I didn't buy another Charger, or a Ram. It's just too much money to he SoL. My last Charger cost me wayyy more in repairs than any car I've ever owned. People can harp it was one of few all they want but it was my expereince and it sticks. The undersized brakes, oil consumption/gunking, bad front ends etc etc made me afraid to buy again. If they were offering stout warranties that might have changed my mind. I'll still play with old Chrysler's but their time in my driveway as a daily is done.
What's the deal with the brakes? What year was your car?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Realistically...

You say that but honestly Look at Maserati, Fiat, Alfa all of those brands struggle in America, people buy cars based on word of mouth, price, loyalty and family. Peugeot, DS and Citroen are not household names and Americans like new things but wont spend substantial money on new things until their not really that new anymore.

An example is Kia another example is Genesis which is still trying to get its identity. Honestly I would never recommend a peugeot or Ds vehicle because its no connection or understanding to the company or vehicle and im a gearhead. But if that same vehicle was a rebadged Chrysler its a totally different story. Americans are fickle that way. The kia telluride is 100 times a better vehicle than most of its counterparts but people stay away just because of the name. Hyundai which is about 7 years older in america than Kia and people trust Hyundai more. The cars are almost the same exact cars but it took kia up until the telluride to hit its stride unlike hyundai which did it about 15 years before kia.

Loyalty and word of mouth is the only reason that the Chrysler 300 is still selling without any marketing dollars. Stallantis will see how loyalty and word of mouth can either propel a brand or start a new and wait 15 to 20 years.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Realistically...

Very good question, but a good campaign with a resurrected Lido advertising a great warranty, and working with dealerships to fix their reputations where needed, would be cheaper than trying to stand up Peugeot, I would think. At any rate, Stellantis, and Chrysler brand specifically, has to be consistent and address things publicly to the degree that they are seen to be working positively, yet not come across as "needy." They have to put their money where their mouth is, and neither be, nor be seen to be, duplicitous. That includes properly reimbursing dealers for warranty work.

·
Registered
570 Posts
But yet, FCA poisoned the car market for Chrysler. Anyone that saw their new 200 plummet in value after Sergio discontinued them will be reluctant to take a chance again. Any new Chrysler branded product has to be stunning from a design standpoint, and they've got to address quality - maybe start bumping the warranty up again? Chrysler could benefit from nice CUVs, for sure,
There was a lot of negative feedback when the Pacifica was discontinued. It was a great CUV, and buyers loved them. Unfortunately they decided to rename the T&C to Pacifica instead of just leaving it alone as it was already a flagship model for the Brand.. and bring back Pacifica as another CUV again,

·
Registered
135 Posts
You say that but honestly Look at Maserati, Fiat, Alfa all of those brands struggle in America, people buy cars based on word of mouth, price, loyalty and family. Peugeot, DS and Citroen are not household names and Americans like new things but wont spend substantial money on new things until their not really that new anymore.

An example is Kia another example is Genesis which is still trying to get its identity. Honestly I would never recommend a peugeot or Ds vehicle because its no connection or understanding to the company or vehicle and im a gearhead. But if that same vehicle was a rebadged Chrysler its a totally different story. Americans are fickle that way. The kia telluride is 100 times a better vehicle than most of its counterparts but people stay away just because of the name. Hyundai which is about 7 years older in america than Kia and people trust Hyundai more. The cars are almost the same exact cars but it took kia up until the telluride to hit its stride unlike hyundai which did it about 15 years before kia.

Loyalty and word of mouth is the only reason that the Chrysler 300 is still selling without any marketing dollars. Stallantis will see how loyalty and word of mouth can either propel a brand or start a new and wait 15 to 20 years.
I agree, if Any of the PSA brands make it to NA, they should be as a re-badged Chrysler and maybe a Dodge hot hatch to compete with the likes of the VW GTI.

321 - 340 of 366 Posts