Allpar Forums banner

341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
There was a lot of negative feedback when the Pacifica was discontinued. It was a great CUV, and buyers loved them. Unfortunately they decided to rename the T&C to Pacifica instead of just leaving it alone as it was already a flagship model for the Brand.. and bring back Pacifica as another CUV again,
Actually the original Pacifica was ahead of it's time as CUV's were just a blip on the radar screen. But alas once again Chrysler lets another good vehicle die on the vine.

·
Administrator
35,562 Posts
Actually the original Pacifica was ahead of it's time as CUV's were just a blip on the radar screen. But alas once again Chrysler lets another good vehicle die on the vine.
In fairness, the Pontiac Aztek came out at about that time and probably hurt the industry's view of minivan based crossovers. It was also hurt by Daimler taking over because they were already badmouthing Chrysler. They did give it a long time to catch on, but it didn't.

The name was a problem. Not really memorable. Can't tell it's a crossover.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Reminds me of a conversation my wife and I had a few months ago. She's ready to be out of a minivan and wants a CUV. She starts telling me about this CUV she saw that she wouldn't mind checking out. She said it looked like it said Pacifica on the back. I'm like, a Chrysler Pacifica is a minivan, a little more stylish than her Caravan, but still a minivan. Then I show her pictures. She tells me that it wasn't what I showed her. So, I break out a picture of the CUV Pacifica. That was it. I had to tell her it was discontinued without replacement several years ago. Now she has her eye on Buicks.

·
Administrator
35,562 Posts
Makes me wonder...

L-cars: status undetermined, possibly as-is till 2025; 300 apparently staying till next gen or bust.
Minis: Pacifica variants, for at least a few years
JGC: completely new Giorgio based, two and three row
Durango: as is for at least a year, maybe longer
Wrangler/Gladiator: new, on long cycles
Renegade: just refreshed, new engine
Compass: nearly new, similar to Renegade, expecting new engines sooner or later
Cherokee: just refreshed but not that much, really; I expected totally new AWD system by now; some rumors it's moving to Giorgio or Small.
Rams are Rams. New metric-tonner probably to be supplied by Peugeot, outside of the US.

Journey is, I think, dead now, along with old Grand Caravan.

Most of the action seems to be at Jeep.

Engines:
Small, doing pretty well (1.3 turbo), more variants likely but maybe not in the US
Medium, doing pretty well (2.0 turbo)
2.4 and 1.4T: on borrowed time, for good reason
GME T6: still waiting, seems to have been put on hold indefinitely
V6: supposedly was to be replaced by 2.0T, seems to be continuing as is almost indefinitely
Apache (5.7): supposedly was to be replaced by 2.0T and GME T6, still going, rumored next gen disappeared from my view
6.2 and 6.4: I've heard nothing, both are still very competitive
426: AFAIK only M-I talked about this as a production, not Mopar, engine.

Side note:
GM has an electric crate engine coming up... not high-po except when compared to the ones it will replace... yet.

I'm going from memory, so expect mistakes.

As for Fiat and Alfa and Maserati, MJAB or T_690 have already given their predictions.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,810 Posts
Reminds me of a conversation my wife and I had a few months ago. She's ready to be out of a minivan and wants a CUV. She starts telling me about this CUV she saw that she wouldn't mind checking out. She said it looked like it said Pacifica on the back. I'm like, a Chrysler Pacifica is a minivan, a little more stylish than her Caravan, but still a minivan. Then I show her pictures. She tells me that it wasn't what I showed her. So, I break out a picture of the CUV Pacifica. That was it. I had to tell her it was discontinued without replacement several years ago. Now she has her eye on Buicks.
I remember looking at those Pacifica's when they first came out. But they were all fully loaded models that we could not afford. At the time Chrysler was pushing the fully loaded versions and not producing very many moderately opted versions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was interested in buying a 207-2008 Pacifica AWD in 2011 when I bought my Grand Caravan but I couldn't find one for sale.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
GME T6: still waiting, seems to have been put on hold indefinitely

V6: supposedly was to be replaced by 2.0T, seems to be continuing as is almost indefinitely.
It seems to me that EV's are gaining traction...(Horrible pun...couldn't help myself)...a bit faster than previously. With this in mind, it's probably a wise decision to stop the Inline Turbo 6.

No sense developing or deploying anything new in ICE if its role over the coming years is going to be diminishing.

·
Administrator
35,562 Posts
I would assume product cuts anyway, in Europe. In the US, the Renegade has been on thin ice for ages, along with all the Fiats. Either make 'em unbeatable by cutting the price to match their CAFE benefits, or give up the ghost, guys.

The GME T6 would be a great engine for Ram pickups, that's why I would assume they'd keep development. The only reasons I can see to end it are not electric-powertrain related, since that won't really happen big-time for another decade; but are (a) they ran into a major engineering/design snag, or (b) they ran out of cash or interest. Maybe some exec got NIH syndrome... or maybe a showstopper on the dyno... or for that matter, maybe a major problem showed up on the dyno and they had to add months to the schedule for re-engineering, and it's still coming. Or maybe they're just REALLY good at keeping secrets. Remember, they alreayd had a factory picked out for it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Still see the eventual replacement for Ram 1500 Classic as an avenue for a slightly smaller (midsized?) pickup that would be easier to BEV than the new, bloated 1500. Full size truck are getting far to big to be useful for me. And hey, it’s not like I don’t regularly drive big vehicles..

·
Registered
527 Posts
Still see the eventual replacement for Ram 1500 Classic as an avenue for a slightly smaller (midsized?) pickup that would be easier to BEV than the new, bloated 1500. Full size truck are getting far to big to be useful for me. And hey, it’s not like I don’t regularly drive big vehicles..
The C2 was fun to drive

Reactions: freshforged

·
Registered
128 Posts
In fairness, the Pontiac Aztek came out at about that time and probably hurt the industry's view of minivan based crossovers. It was also hurt by Daimler taking over because they were already badmouthing Chrysler. They did give it a long time to catch on, but it didn't.

I know you mean the pacifica
However, i remember the aztek as being very ugly.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The C2 was fun to drive
Amazingly well behaved for the size—not at all like those rickety old rattling death traps we used to have to drive. But that capacity can lead experienced drivers to begin driving recklessly, because they don’t seem like they’re going as fast as they are.

·
Administrator
35,562 Posts
I know you mean the pacifica
However, i remember the aztek as being very ugly.
I think you are misinterpreting what I said.

I wrote:

What I meant was that the Aztek hurt the industry’s view of minivan-based crossovers, though it was a terrible vehicle as a whole. (Not so bad to drive but rear-seat passengers tended to throw up.)

The Pacifica was also hurt by Daimler taking over because they cheapened the Chrysler name, mostly by taking every opportunity to tell reporters that Chrysler meant crap.

Here I am saying the Pacifica name was exceedingly poorly chosen. Look at Ford: Explorer, Expedition, Escape, Navigator, etc. All clearly SUVs, and all clearly telling the world, “I can go anywhere (even if I can't leave paved roads).” Then there's Pacifica, carrying on a tradition of poorly named cars from Acclaim to Concorde.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I like that yellow SUV you drive, only it doesn't have enough doors on it.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you are misinterpreting what I said.

I wrote:

What I meant was that the Aztek hurt the industry’s view of minivan-based crossovers, though it was a terrible vehicle as a whole. (Not so bad to drive but rear-seat passengers tended to throw up.)

Here I am saying the Pacifica name was exceedingly poorly chosen. Look at Ford: Explorer, Expedition, Escape, Navigator, etc. All clearly SUVs, and all clearly telling the world, “I can go anywhere (even if I can't leave paved roads).” Then there's Pacifica, carrying on a tradition of poorly named cars from Acclaim to Concorde.
Aztek - I hated it passionately at the time but loved the concept (minivan based CUV), it seemed so obvious a solution to me, I couldn't believe no one got it. (Turns out everyone did get it...) GM executed it in a way that no one would ever want it, ironically I find it to be a cool looking ride now, even tried finding a good one for my daughter's car replacment (ended up with a 06 PTGT).

Pacific, as a trim line makes perfect sense (i.e. Daytona Pacifica) but it doesn't stand well alone, I agree. The Pacifica could have been something better, Voyager being the obvious choice, Caravan being the right choice. I really don't care about loosing the T&C Name, too much image there that doesn't jive with the modern world, same issue for me with the Wagoneer.

·
Administrator
35,562 Posts
Aztek - I hated it passionately at the time but loved the concept (minivan based CUV), it seemed so obvious a solution to me, I couldn't believe no one got it. (Turns out everyone did get it...) GM executed it in a way that no one would ever want it, ironically I find it to be a cool looking ride now, even tried finding a good one for my daughter's car replacment (ended up with a 06 PTGT).

Pacific, as a trim line makes perfect sense (i.e. Daytona Pacifica) but it doesn't stand well alone, I agree. The Pacifica could have been something better, Voyager being the obvious choice, Caravan being the right choice. I really don't care about loosing the T&C Name, too much image there that doesn't jive with the modern world, same issue for me with the Wagoneer.
It was a great idea and Honda even did a pickup version of their minivan. I think Wagoneer works OK but T&C never really helped it, I suspect.

Toyota has merged their minivan into their other FWD/AWD architectures successfully - haven't seen or driven the new Sienna but I suspect they had an easier time with their TNGA than FCA did with their C-EVO variants. Toyota seems to have spent far more time creating something brand new. Invest more time up front, spend less time later. Hopefully Giorgio is like that. T_690 no doubt will say it is. We'll find out when the Grand Cherokee appears... maybe... sometimes you can spend a lot to save some money.

Comparing modular vehicle development to modular programming i just have to say... modular programming is great at making bloated monsters out of programs that used to be svelte and fast. Things like lifting dashboards from one car to another, well, that makes perfect sense. Trying to fit an Alfa Romeo or Fiat front suspension into a Jeep, not so much.

341 - 360 of 366 Posts