Allpar Forums banner

141 - 160 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Do they need new products to be successful? Charger & Challenger sell very well... The only people who think FCA NEEDS new stuff are the same folks who buy a new smartphone every year because "it's new!"

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
The difference is Ram and Jeep actually have planned models to push back. Chrysler and Dodge have none. They've had no new models since the Pacifica.
Just because they haven’t been officially confirmed doesn’t mean they aren’t planned.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Do they need new products to be successful? Charger & Challenger sell very well... The only people who think FCA NEEDS new stuff are the same folks who buy a new smartphone every year because "it's new!"
They sell well because they are heavily incentivized. At some point that strategy fails: see Grand Caravan, Journey, 300.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
The “never update anything” mentality would bankrupt a company very quickly because it indicates that a company is prioritizing profitability above meeting their customers’ needs/wants. Successful companies realize that meeting their customers’ expectations leads to profitability—not the other way around.

You can argue until you’re blue in the face that buying a new vehicle with new features isn’t necessary, but your opinion on that is irrelevant and out of touch with reality. Vehicles are an emotional purchase and people want new features and designs to excite them.

·
Jeepaholic
5,570 Posts
Come on Zag, I know you are a dedicated employee, but you shouldn't be bringing your work home.:p
Can you imagine the look on my wife’s face if I did bring home “work”? That’s be a million dollar pic right there....just before I found myself homeless. :p

Still though...a million $$ would buy a lot of Jeeps....:D

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The “never update anything” mentality would bankrupt a company very quickly because it indicates that a company is prioritizing profitability above meeting their customers’ needs/wants. Successful companies realize that meeting their customers’ expectations leads to profitability—not the other way around.

You can argue until you’re blue in the face that buying a new vehicle with new features isn’t necessary, but your opinion on that is irrelevant and out of touch with reality. Vehicles are an emotional purchase and people want new features and designs to excite them.
Apple and Samsung would disagree... Their "updates" are basically comparable to the updates we've seen from Dodge over the last 5 years...

I'm not saying not buy a new vehicle, I'm saying if something isn't broke, don't change it just to change it. What we've seen with FCA has been targeted improvements and updates for the most part, and that's perfectly fine!

Do you need tear down your house and build a new one just to add smart home features?

Stop being such a consumer...

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
Apple and Samsung would disagree... Their "updates" are basically comparable to the updates we've seen from Dodge over the last 5 years...

I'm not saying not buy a new vehicle, I'm saying if something isn't broke, don't change it just to change it. What we've seen with FCA has been targeted improvements and updates for the most part, and that's perfectly fine!

Do you need tear down your house and build a new one just to add smart home features?

Stop being such a consumer...
The iPhone available today, and the one that will be released later this year, is drastically different than the one released five years ago. Macs are also switching to ARM processors. If anything, Apple proves that major updates are possible while keeping the product’s basic experience intact. Has Dodge done that? No. They’ve kept the experience intact because there have been no major updates.

Like I said before, your argument is out of touch with reality. In a perfect world, no, people probably wouldn’t replace products for no reason. That said, would we even need cars in a perfect world? Or could we just snap our fingers and magically be transported wherever we want?

This is not an industry where “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality is useful. It might be acceptable in a vacuum but that’s not reality, especially when other companies are innovating.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Let's be honest here. The main reason the cars haven't had any major updates is because FCA has no idea where this market will be in a few years. I'm talking cars, not CUVs. They have almost become last man standing by default, so new product needs to come soon or else just milk them until they go dry.

·
Durango Dave!
843 Posts
I would rather see Dodge die as the last real enthusiast's car than see it become a shell of itself selling over-priced golf carts and RC cars.

Electrification is a farce. It's only "the future" because our overlords have decreed that they know best and that we should all thank them for their wisdom in forcing us to adapt.
Hahaha,... Overlords... I love this comment.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
Well, if I'm going to drop $50-60K (Canada, yes vehicles are expensive here) on a new vehicle purchase that I'm going to be stuck with for the next 5-10 years, I personally am not going to consider dropping that money on a vehicle that's been on the market for around 10 years and hasn't been significantly updated since 2015. That's just me.

In fact, I was ready to potentially move to a Pacifica at the start of this year but when I heard the 2021 was getting major upgrades I held off. Why am I going to drop over $50K on a minivan that's out of date? Once the new models come out I'll be looking into it. Either that or if I can talk my wife into a Ram 1500 instead.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I've had 4 Challengers, two before and two after the facelift. I'm not interested in the 1 billion horsepower models. I was quite put off by my last Challenger, a 2018 SXT AWD. I loved driving it, but the quality issues turned me off. It was just several small things. A poor backup camera, trunk struts that didn't hold up the trunk lid, leather that was already creasing and wearing on the driver's seat in under 10k miles.

And there is so much missing: easy entry/exit with seat memory, a cargo net in the trunk for gosh sakes, etc. And I was simply tired of the car scraping bottom on speed bumpers and the spoiler hitting every parking curb (needs a front camera or sensor).

Could they address these issues without a restyle? Sure. But are they? No.

Reactions: somber and Ryan

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The iPhone available today, and the one that will be released later this year, is drastically different than the one released five years ago. Macs are also switching to ARM processors. If anything, Apple proves that major updates are possible while keeping the product’s basic experience intact. Has Dodge done that? No. They’ve kept the experience intact because there have been no major updates.

Like I said before, your argument is out of touch with reality. In a perfect world, no, people probably wouldn’t replace products for no reason. That said, would we even need cars in a perfect world? Or could we just snap our fingers and magically be transported wherever we want?

This is not an industry where “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality is useful. It might be acceptable in a vacuum but that’s not reality, especially when other companies are innovating.
You're definition of "drastic" must be different than Webster's...

iphone 5 vs iphone 10 - Google Search (at https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+5+vs+iphone+10&pcmp=f:2342968081520897157^9f25b19b50a4c46,12620196777048644801^6f57f43ad49e6d16 )

There is FAR MORE IN COMMON than there is dissimilar. Most changes have been evolutionary or iterative, not revolutionary. Most revolutionary changes have been unpopular (loss of headphone jack, inexpandable memory, irreplaceable battery, etc)

You're saying there have been no major updates to the L-Cars, but since they were released, horsepower has almost doubled, the number of gears have almost doubled, a manual was made available, the infotainment system has changed significantly at least 4 times, adjustable suspension systems have been added, brakes have been upgraded significantly, wheel configurations have been altered, two different AWD systems have been offered, rear ends have been upgraded, new body configurations have been offered, styling has been updated, etc... That's all right in line with, if not MORE ADVANCEMENT, than we've seen in a, iPhone...

The L-Cars continue to sell well. How may do you own??? Who's out of touch, again?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I've had 4 Challengers, two before and two after the facelift. I'm not interested in the 1 billion horsepower models. I was quite put off by my last Challenger, a 2018 SXT AWD. I loved driving it, but the quality issues turned me off. It was just several small things. A poor backup camera, trunk struts that didn't hold up the trunk lid, leather that was already creasing and wearing on the driver's seat in under 10k miles.

And there is so much missing: easy entry/exit with seat memory, a cargo net in the trunk for gosh sakes, etc. And I was simply tired of the car scraping bottom on speed bumpers and the spoiler hitting every parking curb (needs a front camera or sensor).

Could they address these issues without a restyle? Sure. But are they? No.
Those features aren't "missing", you just didn't pay for them. Don't blame FCA for your mistakes in purchasing your car.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Well, if I'm going to drop $50-60K (Canada, yes vehicles are expensive here) on a new vehicle purchase that I'm going to be stuck with for the next 5-10 years, I personally am not going to consider dropping that money on a vehicle that's been on the market for around 10 years and hasn't been significantly updated since 2015. That's just me.

In fact, I was ready to potentially move to a Pacifica at the start of this year but when I heard the 2021 was getting major upgrades I held off. Why am I going to drop over $50K on a minivan that's out of date? Once the new models come out I'll be looking into it. Either that or if I can talk my wife into a Ram 1500 instead.
Why not? Are you worried about resale value? You shouldn't be if you intend to keep it that long... Unless you plan to trade in less than 3 years, you need to accept that you're going to have an "old" car when you go to get rid of it. And if you keep it for 10 years, that will matter very, very little. Also, these cars have been updated EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. in some form or fashion. Seems a lot of you folks just don't pay attention...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
You can have both high prices and high incentives. Did you miss the Dodge Power Dollars that they ran for like a year?
"Transaction Prices" don't care what the MSRP or incentives are; they take both of those into account. Transaction prices are what a vehicle actually sells for. You raise them by either raising prices across the board or selling more high-end units.. Regardless, it means people are paying more for them than they used to.

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
You're definition of "drastic" must be different than Webster's...

iphone 5 vs iphone 10 - Google Search (at https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+5+vs+iphone+10&pcmp=f:2342968081520897157^9f25b19b50a4c46,12620196777048644801^6f57f43ad49e6d16 )

There is FAR MORE IN COMMON than there is dissimilar. Most changes have been evolutionary or iterative, not revolutionary. Most revolutionary changes have been unpopular (loss of headphone jack, inexpandable memory, irreplaceable battery, etc)

You're saying there have been no major updates to the L-Cars, but since they were released, horsepower has almost doubled, the number of gears have almost doubled, a manual was made available, the infotainment system has changed significantly at least 4 times, adjustable suspension systems have been added, brakes have been upgraded significantly, wheel configurations have been altered, two different AWD systems have been offered, rear ends have been upgraded, new body configurations have been offered, styling has been updated, etc... That's all right in line with, if not MORE ADVANCEMENT, than we've seen in a, iPhone...

The L-Cars continue to sell well. How may do you own??? Who's out of touch, again?
I don't need to look at a google search comparing those phones - I've owned every iPhone since the 4. The 11 Pro compared to the 5 adds an entirely different screen technology (OLED vs LCD), a sophisticated facial recognition sensor in the front, major camera improvements, including the addition of a wide angle lens and telephoto lens, wireless charging, different body, different internals, different software with more features... should I keep going?

The 2015 Charger is largely the same as the 2021 Charger. I would have purchased another Charger when trading in my 2015 earlier this year if there were major changes, but I didn't want to "upgrade" to essentially the same vehicle, so I chose a Grand Cherokee instead.

Don't get me wrong - they are great cars, but they are long in the tooth. And I know you and I have had the interior quality debate in other threads, so I won't get into that here again but it's certainly a factor that makes the cars feel old.

141 - 160 of 366 Posts