Allpar Forums banner

161 - 180 of 366 Posts

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
Why not? Are you worried about resale value? You shouldn't be if you intend to keep it that long... Unless you plan to trade in less than 3 years, you need to accept that you're going to have an "old" car when you go to get rid of it. And if you keep it for 10 years, that will matter very, very little. Also, these cars have been updated EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. in some form or fashion. Seems a lot of you folks just don't pay attention...
Because I don't want to drop that kind of money on a vehicle that already looks dated. Also new features are a big thing in today's world. I want UConnect 5. Because the other one is 4 years old already and to keep up with changing consumer electronics it makes more sense to me to buy the thing that is updated this year rather than the tech that's 4 years old. Case in point, my 2011 Journey's 8.4 system worked well with my iPhone 4 when I got it. By the time I was on iPhone 6 it wasn't compatible at all. If you think the latest tech isn't a driver for people buying cars then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Also styling. do I want the van that looks like the 2015 200 that I have in my garage? Not really.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with people that tell you when they buy a new vehicle they don't want a dated model.

Also, the L cars architecture was designed in the early 00's and first launched in 2004 with the Magnum and 300. There are limitations to the platform that updates can only go so far to address. Weight, aero, etc. Eventually these vehicles are going to be so hopelessly behind the competition that they won't be worth it to build.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
In this business it's very hard to put off new models. After the Jeeps are launched, it will be time to redo the heavy duties and shortly after that a 1500 update. That doesn't leave a lot of precious cash to invest in cars or anything else Dodge or Chrysler.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Those features aren't "missing", you just didn't pay for them. Don't blame FCA for your mistakes in purchasing your car.
I guess you can’t comprehend what I wrote. I wrote these are features I’d desire to be added. Having owned these before I know what is and is not available. Do you have to insult everyone who disagrees with your opinions?

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
I guess you can’t comprehend what I wrote. I wrote these are features I’d desire to be added. Having owned these before I know what is and is not available. Do you have to insult everyone who disagrees with your opinions?
Yes, the number of unavailable features on the Challenger compared to the Charger is weird...

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
"Transaction Prices" don't care what the MSRP or incentives are; they take both of those into account. Transaction prices are what a vehicle actually sells for. You raise them by either raising prices across the board or selling more high-end units.. Regardless, it means people are paying more for them than they used to.
@valiant67 stated that they are highly incentivized, and you said that isn't true. You switched to ATP because he was correct.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The don't blame FCA crowd. He's at the wrong website. Cheerleaders have one for that.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Why not? Are you worried about resale value? You shouldn't be if you intend to keep it that long... Unless you plan to trade in less than 3 years, you need to accept that you're going to have an "old" car when you go to get rid of it. And if you keep it for 10 years, that will matter very, very little. Also, these cars have been updated EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. in some form or fashion. Seems a lot of you folks just don't pay attention...
Jerry, it's not about resale value (short term or long term). It's about getting value for your hard earned dollars. When I purchase a vehicle I want the most bang for my dollar. I don't want 2nd rate or old technology from 2-3 years ago. If I'm buying used, yes, I would not expect the vehicle to have the latest and greatest. However, if I'm buying new, yes, I do want the best available.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
Jerry, it's not about resale value (short term or long term). It's about getting value for your hard earned dollars. When I purchase a vehicle I want the most bang for my dollar. I don't want 2nd rate or old technology from 2-3 years ago. If I'm buying used, yes, I would not expect the vehicle to have the latest and greatest. However, if I'm buying new, yes, I do want the best available.
This exactly.

If I ever cared about resale value I would never have bought anything with a Dodge or Chrysler nameplate on the bumper. :D

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Sounds like a political slogan....Zag for President, I’m with Zag! :D

Disclaimer: Zag has far too many skeletons in his closet(s) to ever think about running for public office. Not for use with some sets. Void where prohibited. See in store for details. :p
Do not taunt happy fun Zag

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
The don't blame FCA crowd. He's at the wrong website. Cheerleaders have one for that.
No need to make digs at other websites.

This situation is more like "I don't like new things and neither should you."

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
@valiant67 stated that they are highly incentivized, and you said that isn't true. You switched to ATP because he was correct.
B.S. "Highly incentivized" is a slanderous term in the auto industry implying that the only reason something is selling is because its cheap. That's not the case with the L-Cars. I mentioned ATP in my initial response; I didn't switch anything. You guys need to slow down and read things before you post.

I was mistaken on the availability of these from the factory. These features have been available on Charger and 300 for years. The Easy-Exit Seat feature isn't available on Challenger due to the need for egress from the rear seat. It can be turned on by the dealer after the fact; the programming is there, it's not activated...

Challengers use the same cargo net as 300s & Chargers. You can buy the parts individually from your dealer. Don't know why they don't offer this as option, but it can be added pretty easily.

Cargo Net - #5057810AA
Cargo Net Hooks - #5057812AC (You'll need at least 2, but perhaps 4 depending on how you want to attach the top of the net.)

What tech do think is missing or isn't the "latest & greatest"??? Also, do you not see how "bang for your dollar" and "THE MOST NEWEST EVER" aren't compatible with each other?

Also, speaking generally, year 2-3 whatever is FAR MORE STABLE AND RELIABLE than year 1 whatever...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I don't need to look at a google search comparing those phones - I've owned every iPhone since the 4. The 11 Pro compared to the 5 adds an entirely different screen technology (OLED vs LCD), a sophisticated facial recognition sensor in the front, major camera improvements, including the addition of a wide angle lens and telephoto lens, wireless charging, different body, different internals, different software with more features... should I keep going?

The 2015 Charger is largely the same as the 2021 Charger. I would have purchased another Charger when trading in my 2015 earlier this year if there were major changes, but I didn't want to "upgrade" to essentially the same vehicle, so I chose a Grand Cherokee instead.

Don't get me wrong - they are great cars, but they are long in the tooth. And I know you and I have had the interior quality debate in other threads, so I won't get into that here again but it's certainly a factor that makes the cars feel old.
LOL, okay. Those iPhone upgrades are comparable to the upgrades that have happened to the L-cars. UConnect has seen 2 major revisions. Android Auto & Car Play have been added. 3 new engines are available. Updates have been made to old engines and transmissions. The suspension has been changed. New suspensions have been added. A wide-body has been added to 2/3 of the cars. The AWD system has been revised. There are new headlights now. New hoods. New spoilers. New interior colors and materials. New braking systems. New safety features. I'm probably missing several things...

The Charger has more new content than your iPhone does...

Wake up man... Just admit that YOU DON'T LIKE THE CARS BECAUSE THAT'S YOUR OPINION and quit trying to find some sort of "validation" from everyone else to make yourself feel better about that opinion.

Also, I LOVE the "I'm going to bring this thing up and talk about, but I don't want to be challenged on my statements, and I'm a mod, so..." b.s. that so many on this site LOVE to pull. SMDH. "Do as I say, not as I do..."

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Because I don't want to drop that kind of money on a vehicle that already looks dated. Also new features are a big thing in today's world. I want UConnect 5. Because the other one is 4 years old already and to keep up with changing consumer electronics it makes more sense to me to buy the thing that is updated this year rather than the tech that's 4 years old. Case in point, my 2011 Journey's 8.4 system worked well with my iPhone 4 when I got it. By the time I was on iPhone 6 it wasn't compatible at all. If you think the latest tech isn't a driver for people buying cars then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Also styling. do I want the van that looks like the 2015 200 that I have in my garage? Not really.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with people that tell you when they buy a new vehicle they don't want a dated model.

Also, the L cars architecture was designed in the early 00's and first launched in 2004 with the Magnum and 300. There are limitations to the platform that updates can only go so far to address. Weight, aero, etc. Eventually these vehicles are going to be so hopelessly behind the competition that they won't be worth it to build.
UConnect was significantly updated in 2018 and smaller updates have been made more frequently. That update does more to "future proof" your infotainment than just about anything because it added Android Auto and Car Play...

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
LOL, okay. Those iPhone upgrades are comparable to the upgrades that have happened to the L-cars. UConnect has seen 2 major revisions. Android Auto & Car Play have been added. 3 new engines are available. Updates have been made to old engines and transmissions. The suspension has been changed. New suspensions have been added. A wide-body has been added to 2/3 of the cars. The AWD system has been revised. There are new headlights now. New hoods. New spoilers. New interior colors and materials. New braking systems. New safety features. I'm probably missing several things...

The Charger has more new content than your iPhone does...

Wake up man... Just admit that YOU DON'T LIKE THE CARS BECAUSE THAT'S YOUR OPINION and quit trying to find some sort of "validation" from everyone else to make yourself feel better about that opinion.

Also, I LOVE the "I'm going to bring this thing up and talk about, but I don't want to be challenged on my statements, and I'm a mod, so..." b.s. that so many on this site LOVE to pull. SMDH. "Do as I say, not as I do..."
2011 was a major update inside and out. 2015 was a major update to the exterior with minor changes under the skin. The interior has remained largely the same since 2011.

I like the cars. I don't know what you're talking about. I've owned three L-cars. It's just time for something new. I'm responding because I'm sick of reading your posts on here acting like everyone else needs to accept outdated stuff just because you don't like change. Your opinion is clearly in the minority, otherwise automakers would just let cars exist for decades with only minor changes.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Sorry, I can’t quite follow some of these discussions. Maybe I am getting too old. For one, my iPhone 6S works even with my 14 years old Magnum. And maybe it’s just me, but if I want to spend time behind the screen I do that at home. When I drive I want to enjoy the scenery and probably the engine. Personally I don’t like the trend of more and bigger screens, more digitization. Stupid things like having to tap a volume button (virtual or real) several times instead of turning a knob. I personally don’t mind at all that my 2016 Hellcat has the older instead of the newer UConnect system. I don’t need apps replicated that I have on my phone that I can use when not in motion...

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
B.S. "Highly incentivized" is a slanderous term in the auto industry implying that the only reason something is selling is because its cheap. That's not the case with the L-Cars. I mentioned ATP in my initial response; I didn't switch anything. You guys need to slow down and read things before you post.

I was mistaken on the availability of these from the factory. These features have been available on Charger and 300 for years. The Easy-Exit Seat feature isn't available on Challenger due to the need for egress from the rear seat. It can be turned on by the dealer after the fact; the programming is there, it's not activated...

Challengers use the same cargo net as 300s & Chargers. You can buy the parts individually from your dealer. Don't know why they don't offer this as option, but it can be added pretty easily.

Cargo Net - #5057810AA
Cargo Net Hooks - #5057812AC (You'll need at least 2, but perhaps 4 depending on how you want to attach the top of the net.)

What tech do think is missing or isn't the "latest & greatest"??? Also, do you not see how "bang for your dollar" and "THE MOST NEWEST EVER" aren't compatible with each other?

Also, speaking generally, year 2-3 whatever is FAR MORE STABLE AND RELIABLE than year 1 whatever...
So where do I attach those hooks in the trunk of the Challenger? I pulled out all the factory trim panels in the trunk and found nowhere to put a hook without drilling. I looked at alternatives which just fasten to the trunk side liner, but it pulls down without any weight attached to it.

Please tell me what the dealer needs to activate in the computer to program the easy entry/exit as they told me it couldn't be done.
It would seem to me the easy entry/exit for the front seat could also be programmed to make it easier to exit the back seat after the driver has left the car. They also told me they'd put a spare tire in it, then back tracked when they found out Mopar doesn't even offer it as an aftermarket alternative as in other vehicles. They agreed to reimburse me for parts from a salvage car. I know why they omit the spare tire (save money and save weight). But there is no excuse to not to allow it as a dealer install option like they've done on other products.

When Power Dollars came into play, MSRP wasn't adjusted up $3k on a base Challenger or Charger or $7k on the top models.
You introduce incentives because products aren't selling as well as you want. There can be several reasons:
1) The public sees the product as overpriced for what it is.
2) Demand in general is soft.
3) You want to lure in negative equity buyers.
etc.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It would be one thing if they did this to streamline the parts on the assembly line, but since all three cars move on the line at the same time that can't be the reason. Being a Chrysler lifer, to me, it's their old game of not making these available on lower line cars at all end of story. This isn't an oversight, IMHO. Back in the day they did the same thing. When Ram had Prospector packages it was nice because as you moved up more things were included. When you got to level three, it included most options, but some things were still stand alone so because the dealer hadn't done his research and I didn't either I missed an option. So I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would rather see Dodge die as the last real enthusiast's car than see it become a shell of itself selling over-priced golf carts and RC cars.

Electrification is a farce. It's only "the future" because our overlords have decreed that they know best and that we should all thank them for their wisdom in forcing us to adapt.
[Rude image removed by moderator.]

161 - 180 of 366 Posts