Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Dave,

Gotta have a wordpress password etc to get into this and the Fiat/CNH articles that you have linked. Both seem quite important/interesting, can you give a little more detail please?

Thanks

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
This is terrible, terrible news.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Fiat just crossed to the same side of the border as Daimler. I am holding back profanity to say one more screw up and I will NEVER BUY ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH FIAT. There is a large enough supply of REAL Chrysler vehicles to keep me happy. Or am I not seeing the full picture? I.m getting near my use buy date and have no time for nonsense.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bob_Sheaves said:
Good God people! Can't you READ????NOWHERE does the article say the museum closes, never to be open again. The museum WILL OPEN for SPECIAL EVENTS.Darn, the reading comprehension level around here is getting lower than a 3rd grade elementary school class.
Actually the complete story, as reported by Chrysler Literature is as follows: Chrysler is buying the WPC foundation building and shutting it down, closing the museum and using the building for other purposes.
The collection will be sold off.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Ok,
No one EVER accosed me of not being a hothead. I'll back off wait for all things to be revealed. Just very leary of foreign enteties that have control of Chrysler. Really ticked that I may never see these vehicles. Guess I'll just have to buy them when I win the next Powerball.

NEWS FLASH I may switch back to Hothead mode.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
This from the Chrysler Literature Facebook page (welcome back, Norm... :) )
Mr. Roe Green said:
Very sad news to report from Auburn Hills: At the end of December, 2012, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) will cease to exist. At the same time, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum will be closed to the public. The Museum will continue to be available for rental for private events until the end of February, 2013. At that time, the building will undergo renovations and be converted to corporate use. The approximately 67 vehicles in the Museum Collection that were donated by the Corporation when the Foundation was established will be sold / transferred back to the Corporation. There will be a press release issued in the next day or two.
The press release from CGLLC:
Chrysler Group LLC said:
Chrysler Group LLC Purchases Museum’s Historic Collection and Displays; Move Preserves Automotive Heritage for Future Generations
November 29, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich.

The Walter P. Chrysler Museum will write a new chapter as it merges with The Chrysler Foundation effective December 31, 2012.

The Museum’s historic collection of 67 vehicles and displays will be purchased by Chrysler Group LLC, a move that will preserve the Company’s automotive heritage for future generations. The proceeds from the sale along with the remaining cash reserves of the Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation will be transferred to The Chrysler Foundation where they will support a broad range of charitable community activities and organizations.

“We are very thankful for the generosity of our many members, friends, volunteers and employees and very proud of the Museum’s legacy as an educational and cultural institution,” said Brian Glowiak, President – Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation.

The Museum, opened to the public on October 5, 1999, was the first on-site museum to be built by a North American automobile company.

“Chrysler will continue to share its automobile heritage housed at the Museum with the public during special exhibitions. The existing Museum facilities will also be used to meet Chrysler Group needs,” added Glowiak.
And then there's the words from the museum's executive director in Dave's article. Allpar has a vested interest in this, since Allpar was sponsoring a vehicle in the museum.

Again - it's a damn shame.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's been several years since I made my one and only trip to Detroit, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon in the museum. The vehicles on display were stunning. I'm glad they will continue to be preserved. Too bad the general public didn't flock to the museum enough to keep it open in its current state.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it just me or is the Allpar article basically saying that the museum was quickly running out of money and Chrysler Group LLC have stepped into save the collection by merging the museum with the The Chrysler Foundation and the Chrysler Group LLC buying all the cars to preserve them?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm from MI, but now live in FL. I never got around to going to the museum, and was planning on going during my next trip up north! CRAP!

They have a 1984 Daytona Turbo Z there that's identical to mine (although in pristine condition).

·
Registered
299 Posts
My thanks and best wishes go to the staff of the Museum. We had a very enjoyable visit there a few years back, enjoying the hospitality of the museum personnel and the care that was evident in the crafting of the many exhibits. It was entertaining and educational.
Hopefully the Chrysler Group will be offering some sort of public interface in the future - a smaller exhibition area, a plant tour (as Ford has at Dearborn), or maybe a place where interested parties can learn the history of the Chrysler Group. Smaller in scale, more affordable to maintain, but still a place for the faithful to gather.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am glad I got the opportunity to visit this museum back in 2009. I didn't want to leave. Its so sad that it will be gone. Mopar fans everywhere will morn.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am going to take a weekend off and scrimp some money together and go before it closes... It's a heavy hearted moment, but businesses gotta make money... I just SM preserves the collection and displays them sometime... If GM and Ford can have Meseums... Then why not Chrysler...? Ugh. This is just kinda frustrating....

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So, what does the future hold for the museum down the road? I know that Chrysler isn't in the business of running a museum, that isn't their mission. But, when BMW, Audi, etc. all have elaborate museums that showcase the brand., I always put Chrysler up there in the elite because they had a museum open to the public. GM's is closed to the public, Ford has Greenfield Village which serves somewhat as a Ford museum, although not specifically. Hmm..

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Thanks Strat!
I was hoping it was a different museum :( I feel fortunate to have been part of a show that was held there, and was able to visit the museum in 00. I loved that place, especially downstairs. Thats where all the REALLY cool stuff is hidden.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Bob_Sheaves said:
Good God people! Can't you READ????NOWHERE does the article say the museum closes, never to be open again. The museum WILL OPEN for SPECIAL EVENTS.Darn, the reading comprehension level around here is getting lower than a 3rd grade elementary school class.
Bob, I am sorry, but not being open for the general public makes me very sad. I can't visit if I am up there visiting family randomly. I find that to be terrible and disappointing news.

Mike

Good to see you posting Norm.

Mike

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Today we were told we are going to visit the Museum during the last week of December

1 - 20 of 35 Posts