Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
At least the Chrysler won. But at $52K plus who the heck can afford to pay that for a minivan? I sure would not. My Grand Caravan is just fine thank you and it was only $22K out the door in 2016.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We had between my late wife, current wife and myself 5 Chrysler Corporation minivans, from a 1989 to a 2005. In 2016 I traded in the last one on a 2011 Ford Flex my wife saw and decided she wanted. This past September I bought a 2009 Flex, both are limited and loaded, but somewhat different, both are FWD only, the 11 has power folding 3rd row seats, the 09 doesn't, both have the middle row refrigerator/freezer and lots of sunroof panels. I know it is classed as CUV, but they ride and handle way better than any minivan I have ever been in. The last one, the 09, I really don't think the dealer had a good idea what he had, asked $5500 for it. If we hadn't chanced on the first one, we would probably still be driving Chrysler Corp minivans.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Neighbors have a Flex. It's a minivan with hinged rear doors and a low roof. Doesn't compare all that well to the 08 and later T&C, certainly doesn't have the interior room and flexabililty for loading and hauling. Ford came out with those after they finally realized they weren't competing with Chrysler and went for a differnt market segmetn of people who just won't drive a minivan and think that if it doen's have the useful sliding doors that it's somehow a different type of vehicle. Now, I'll concede that the Flex does comapre well to the 05 T&C, but Chrysler moved on. You might note that the Flex is gone now, 2020 was last year.

I've driven all brands of minivan, Mazda, KIA, Toyota, Nissan. If I ever buy another vehicle it'll be a Pacifica similar to the one the kids have now.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and tlc

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
To me, the Toyota lost as soon as I saw the interior.... Just wrong!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
At least the Chrysler won. But at $52K plus who the heck can afford to pay that for a minivan? I sure would not. My Grand Caravan is just fine thank you and it was only $22K out the door in 2016.

The Sienna is less of a Vehicle and it was $51,075. plus your Caravan doesnt not have the Luxury, quality, nor the Technology this has.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The Sienna was less expensive and had AWD. Now that’s MSRP vs MSRP. We all realize the Pacifica will likely have larger discounts.

I really dislike Toyota styling. But people buy them despite the styling. And many people like their styling.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The Sienna was less expensive and had AWD. Now that’s MSRP vs MSRP. We all realize the Pacifica will likely have larger discounts.

I really dislike Toyota styling. But people buy them despite the styling. And many people like their styling.

they Toyota did NOT have AWD, read the Comparo. spec sheet again.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
6.5 liters per 100 km for Sienna on motorway. That sounds like a bad joke. No way it's possible in real life. Loophole in EPA test cycle?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts

PHEV vs HEV. It's not comparable, not even remotely.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Neighbors have a Flex. It's a minivan with hinged rear doors and a low roof. Doesn't compare all that well to the 08 and later T&C, certainly doesn't have the interior room and flexabililty for loading and hauling. Ford came out with those after they finally realized they weren't competing with Chrysler and went for a differnt market segmetn of people who just won't drive a minivan and think that if it doen's have the useful sliding doors that it's somehow a different type of vehicle. Now, I'll concede that the Flex does comapre well to the 05 T&C, but Chrysler moved on. You might note that the Flex is gone now, 2020 was last year.

I've driven all brands of minivan, Mazda, KIA, Toyota, Nissan. If I ever buy another vehicle it'll be a Pacifica similar to the one the kids have now.
I have driven several of the others, including a 2008 Grand Caravan my insurance company rented when our 05 T&C was in the body shop for a liftgate repair. It was ok, didn't feel that much different than the 05 as far as driving, yes it had some improvements, like roll down windows on the sliding doors. The "Corvair" shifter wasn't a big thrill to either of us.

As far as cargo capacity, with the 2nd and 3rd row seats folded it is a pretty damn big box inside, and far easier to stow the seats than the 05 T&C with Stow-n-Go seats. The 11 has the power folding 3rd row which was not available in 09 according to the owner's manual. The 05 had the adjustable pedals as do both Flexes. Biggest thing I do miss with the large sunroof areas is a roof rack. Both have the backup cameras and the 09 came with a factory tow package. I wanted to install a receiver hitch on the 05, every aftermarket one available was made wrong, the cutout for the exhaust was on the wrong side, apparently they never had one to trial fit and put the cutout on the side the tailpipe is on. Great idea, except the exhaust goes down the right side all the way to the back then crosses over at the muffler and comes out on the left. As a result I was only able to use my nice Aluma utility trailer by towing it with my F350 which is a bit of overkill not to mention the fuel cost.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
PHEV vs HEV. It's not comparable, not even remotely.
But yet it is going to be comparable to most van shoppers. Most buyers looking for a hybrid will be happy with the regular hybrid Toyota van and not exclude it because it isn't a plug in hybrid. And Toyota will likely offer a Prime model soon.
But the Pacifica is currently going to get a tax credit (in the US) which will more than offset the higher price.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,384 Posts

Yeah, the Toyota is a Toyota and comes with a worldwide reputation for high quality, long life, and durability. The Chrysler is a Chrysler and comes along with all the baggage that reputation brings. If Chrysler tries to go toe to toe with Toyota on price, the majority of the buyers are going to go with Toyota.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts