Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 910 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Wouldn't be the first time, I think Honda used to have a three valve engine. Guess it's a way to avoid VVT in the new 3.8/4.0.
[post="479874"][/post]​
Mercedes has been using three valve designs for some time, though they're abandonning the technique with their latest engine families. The MB-sourced 3.2L in the Crossfire has three valves per cylinder.

-- Mark

·
Prodigal Son
964 Posts
The minivan thing may be a way to make a small conceled "trunk" above the spare for items you want conceled from veiw.

The Vtwin would probably be a good motor for a caliber hybrid.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That V-Twin sounded a lot like a radial or a Harley. Can anybody explain to me why I'm wrong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Radials are to big to be packaged in a car. If you meant a RX-8 like rotary, they don't have pistons per se. It is different from a Harley because I do not see how it would be possible to do what it says the engine does if the pistons were on a common arm on the crankshaft like in a Harley. The exterior should look similar though.

Now we need Bob (or any of you other engineers out there) to come and explain all this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
See how stuff works animation to help visualize. See also other site.

Sounds like a 2 cylinder V-shaped engine w/ crank pins offset the same angle as the angle of the engine (therefore both pistons reach TDC and BDC at same time).
1. When the pistons are down (crank counterweights both up), the balance shaft weights are up.
2. When the pistons are moving up (crank c.wghts both right), the b.s. wghts are both left.
3. When the pistons are up (crank c.wghts both down), the b.s. wghts are down.
4. When the pistons are moving down (crank c.wghts both left), the b.s. wghts are both right.
Seems like the balance shaft weights would effectively counteract the up/down vibration of the engine, but introduce side/side vibration. Thoughts anyone?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The AMC logo was applied for trademark on 6/29/05 - for use on toy vehicle replicas.
The name YELLOW FEVER was published for opposition on 7/12/05 - for use on automobiles.
The name 300 BLACK TIE EDITION was published for opposition on 7/12/05 - for use on motor vehicles (Woodward Cruise anyone?)
The name TRIO is now dead.
The term TRACK RATED was applied for trademark on 6/29/05 - for use on automobiles.

·
Registered
620 Posts
suzq044 said:
or maybe a safer version of the tomahawk. :lol:
[post="494537"][/post]​
Hey now, I think the Tomahawk is perfect as is. :p

Just wish it was more cost friendly and street legal. :(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
The AMC logo was applied for trademark on 6/29/05 - for use on toy vehicle replicas.
The name YELLOW FEVER was published for opposition on 7/12/05 - for use on automobiles.
The name 300 BLACK TIE EDITION was published for opposition on 7/12/05 - for use on motor vehicles (Woodward Cruise anyone?)
The name TRIO is now dead.
The term TRACK RATED was applied for trademark on 6/29/05 - for use on automobiles.
[post="493932"][/post]​
Maybe the new cute ute Jeeps will be Track Rated, just doesnt fit with Chrysler or Dodge.
I'm glad Trio is dead. May it RIP.
Yellow fever sounds like paint, I think someone said it is or was or something like that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
longlivechrysler said:
I doubt that's even possible...

"Dodge Tomahawk:? 0 - Smoldering Crater in 3.2 seconds!"
[post="494616"][/post]​
That is to good :p

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Looking at those U.S Patent nos. mentioned earlier here got me thinking. I ran across a copy of a Chrysler patent dated Feb. 15th 1972 among my dad's papers. It is U.S Patent #3,641,746 and was filed Sept. 8th 1969. Roughly, thats nearly 100k a year! It's for a "Carburetor Air Delivery System". Looks like the Air Grabber package for the late 68 & 69 r/r. It appears the rubber seal between that airbox base plate under the carb and the remote operated "flapper" with the unique features.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The "TRAIL RATED 4x4" logo/badge was registered on 7/26/05.
The name "RUMBLE BEE" was registered on 7/26/05.
The name "JEEP LIBERTY CRD" was registered on 7/26/05.
The name "HEV POWERGEN" was applied for trademark on 7/18/05.
The name "POWER WAGON" was registered on 7/19/05.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Patent 6,923,481: Flush exterior door handle

ABTRACT: A handle for a vehicle door is mounted on a frame by a pivot assembly for swinging movement from a door latching position to a door unlatching position. The frame is secured in an interior space of the door in a position such that when the handle is in the latching position, the handle registers with an opening in a door panel, and when the handle is in the unlatching position, the handle extends into the interior space. The pivot assembly has a hinge which provides a floating axis for the swinging movement of the handle, enabling the handle to be shifted laterally outwardly into contact with a flange on the panel when in the latching position, thereby positioning the outer surface of the handle flush with the outer surface of the door panel. A spring urges the handle laterally outwardly into contact with the flange.

21 - 40 of 910 Posts