Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
DaveAdmin said:
The S2000 was years and years ago, wasn't it? Hardly a fair comparison. Did it have wheels anywhere NEAR as big as modern ones?
It was in 2007-08. Gee I sure hope that's not eons ago...LOL

I believe the wheels were 17x8...which were huge for a car of that size

Somehow they managed to fit a spare tire in that tiny trunk --that bulge is the spare

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Doug D said:
I haven't had a flat in decades. I think the last one I had was the late 80's - had a '79 Monza at the time. Wife, on the other hand has had a few. Was worth it to have AAA or a motor club membership. At least she could call and they would change the tire. One time she was fortunate to have the Road Safety Patrol right behind her when a tire went down.

I had AAA for quite some time. Rarely had to use it for "roadside assistance". Used It for other discounts and maps, TripTiks, etc. AAA, like other motor clubs, is not perfect and yes, in times of severe weather, they may not come out or be delayed. Happened to me 20+ years ago. Living in Denver at the time we got a severe cold spell (subzero temps for over a week at a time - highs were -15*F & lows -35*F). Due to the high demand for jump starts and other assistance, AAA was overwhelmed and advised (if you called) it would be 72-96 hours before they could get someone to you and you'd probably get faster service by contacting a local service station or garage.

We have "Towing" on our insurance, but it only pays $50 per occurrence. Considering that's what a tow driver charges just for showing up, it ain't enough. At least with AAA+, you can get a tow up to 100 miles.
Exactly.

The Annual CAA fee, about $120/year for my family, pays for itself in hotel discounts.

As far as the busy times go... well, you are the one who got stuck, didn't plug in the car, didn't service your battery... the owner/driver is ultimately accountable.

Next time you need a tow truck in a snow storm, try to call a local company... especially if you are not in your home town.... see how that works out for you. :)

I think it boils down to expectations.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
Next time you need a tow truck in a snow storm, try to call a local company... especially if you are not in your home town.... see how that works out for you. :)

I think it boils down to expectations.
The last time I had to call a tow truck in a snow storm in Los Angeles was...never... :runaway:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Aldo said:
I can see Roadside Assistance playing the role of added peace of mind, especially for those with driving dependents.
However, it still seems Roadside Assistance should not be relied upon as your Plan A for getting out of a emergency --contrary to how many of these services (and some OEMs) would like us to think of them.
I've had AAA for over thirty years, mainly for the wife and daughters, I've had to use it twice (my daughters, when in school, used it often!)
They have never failed to respond or be helpful, albeit they were slow on one occasion. Keeping in mind that "they" are independent shops, so it could be a crapshoot. I would say if you call AAA dispatch and not an AAA affiliated shop, you will get excellent service and they will either stay on the line with you or call you back periodically to be sure you were helped.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
So, you really wouldn't know what to do it it happened when you were in, say... Denver. ;)

Seriously, Aldo... I do empathize with you.

We manage risks by taking precautions, assigning risk (i.e. roadside assistance contracts), and accepting a certain level of risk.

I appears that the precautions (spare) and assignments (roadside terms) have been changed "without your agreement", so your risks are now higher than you accept.

The solutions are to add precautions (you discussed adding a spare or trading your car), assigning more risk (additional roadside contract), and/or change your expectations (suck it up, buttercup!).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I travel a lot. The first thing I did was drop AAA.
After that snow storm, maybe the second thing was to buy a Jeep... :lol:

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
We manage risks by taking precautions, assigning risk (i.e. roadside assistance contracts), and accepting a certain level of risk.

I appears that the precautions (spare) and assignments (roadside terms) have been changed "without your agreement", so your risks are now higher than you accept.

The solutions are to add precautions (you discussed adding a spare or trading your car), assigning more risk (additional roadside contract), and/or change your expectations (suck it up, buttercup!).
I like your assessment.

I'll add to it, once we experience first-hand what seemed like an unlikely situation...like, hmmm...I don't know...let's imagine a blown tire, on a mountain road, with no spare tire, no wireless reception, AND the eventual discovery of no roadside assistance...this risk assessment you talk about changes overnight.

I told the Service Manager at my Dodge dealer my story and what solution he can recommend for carrying a spare. He did not have an immediate answer, but he forwarded my question to Chrysler Customer Relations to see what they suggest. Can't wait to hear back.

This experience is making me wish I never got rid of my Honda S2000 --which, of course, is pretty retarded in itself

MoparNorm said:
After that snow storm, maybe the second thing was to buy a Jeep... :lol:
LOL YES!!!

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
re: cell coverage ---> consider cost/benifit of satelite phone
I'll add it to the list of things to look into --in addition to fitting a spare tire to my USS Challenger

Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
So, you really wouldn't know what to do it it happened when you were in, say... Denver. ;)
I lived in Sudbury, Ontario --well, if you call that live-- for four years. I know all about -35 degrees, block heaters, dead batteries, and no assistance for 72 hours... ;)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
re: cell coverage ---> consider cost/benifit of satelite phone
Doesn't U-Connect now work like On-Star, through a Sat. Signal?
With Sirius radio, it wouldn't be too hard to have Satellite communications.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Doesn't U-Connect now work like On-Star, through a Sat. Signal?
With Sirius radio, it wouldn't be too hard to have Satellite communications.
But that is only the new versions IIRC (2013 Ram & Viper, 2014 Grand Cherokee & Cherokee, etc)

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I shared my story of the blown tire and lack of a spare and Roadside Assistance with my service manager.

He passed my email over to Chrysler Customer Relations and I heard back while I was traveling last week: they offer to refund me the tow ($70); and also for the space-saving spare tire kit from ebay if I decide to get it ($200).

I think it is generous of Chrysler to offer me a refund. They are obviously interested in keeping me a happy customer and I appreciate that. But I really wish Chrysler offered a proper solution from the factory so I don't have to monkey around with those woofers and air pump, in order to secure an aftermarket spare, the jack and the lug wrench.

I love my Challenger, but I never again am buying a car w/o a spare tire: no ifs, buts, satellite phone or AAA. So after owning five great SRTs, they have lost me as a customer...unless they start to offer a spare tire option in future SRT vehicles.

Before I spend any more money I need to decide if I want to screw around with this one or get rid of it and move on...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Aldo said:
I shared my story of the blown tire and lack of a spare and Roadside Assistance with my service manager.

He passed my email over to Chrysler Customer Relations and I heard back while I was traveling last week: they offer to refund me the tow ($70); and also for the space-saving spare tire kit from ebay if I decide to get it ($200).

I think it is generous of Chrysler to offer me a refund. They are obviously interested in keeping me a happy customer and I appreciate that. But I really wish Chrysler offered a proper solution from the factory so I don't have to monkey around with those woofers and air pump, in order to secure an aftermarket spare, the jack and the lug wrench.

I love my Challenger, but I never again am buying a car w/o a spare tire: no ifs, buts, satellite phone or AAA. So after owning five great SRTs, they have lost me as a customer...unless they start to offer a spare tire option in future SRT vehicles.

Before I spend any more money I need to decide if I want to screw around with this one or get rid of it and move on...
Aldo, as you said, it is quite the generous offer from them to fix it. It is not good that they do not have a spare at the factory, but this is probably the best solution they can offer at this time. I would think that taking them up on their offer and keeping the vehicle would be almost a no-brainer, but I've never been anywhere near a purchase of that magnitude (other than a house), and it is a personal decision. The space-saving tire kit can give you at least some piece of mind... I don't know of any cars (other than Jeeps) that offer a full factory spare option, or even have the space for it (then again, I don't really look at cars).

Other than the no-spare tire (and aftermarket solution that shouldn't have to exist), do you enjoy the vehicle otherwise?

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
SouthPawXJ said:
Other than the no-spare tire (and aftermarket solution that shouldn't have to exist), do you enjoy the vehicle otherwise?
Thanks, SPXJ

I hear you. I don't expect to see a fullsize spare anymore but most vehicles still carry some kind of a space saving spare.

Part of my issue with the kit is that I will have to ditch those giant woofers --part of the $2,000 premium sound package I had to pay for just to be able to get the $700 navigation-- and live with whatever sound quality the stereo will end up; and then there is still no guarantee that the spare kit will secure in that place.

The more I do to the car, the more stuck I am with it. It may be easier to sell it as-is, than try to sell it with half the sound system missing and some odd-looking contraption in its place.

Yes, the car is a LOT of fun. But those low-profile tires are very vulnerable, and w/o a spare I just can't trust the SRT for a weekend trip --which is what I used to use it for. And I won't keep it parked in the garage either.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I know I'm a little late to the party here...

There is an SRT spare tire kit that was for sale at a local-to-me car show a few months back. The kit is comprised of an OEMish tire and wheel, and an aluminum spacer similar to a bolt-pattern-changer along with extra lugnuts. The spacer's job is to push the spare far enough out to clear the brakes. I do not know if the kit fits the front axle or if it only fits the rear, but even if one has to go through the work to pull a good rear off, put the spare kit on the rear, then pull the bad front off, and put the former-rear on the front.

Before ordering a kit, I would go pull a spare from a junkyard RT or SXT to see if it would fit the rear axle. Even if it's an awkward fit, if it fits at all then with a front flat you could do like I mentioned above, but without the spacer...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Aldo said:
Thanks, SPXJ

I hear you. I don't expect to see a fullsize spare anymore but most vehicles still carry some kind of a space saving spare.

Part of my issue with the kit is that I will have to ditch those giant woofers --part of the $2,000 premium sound package I had to pay for just to be able to get the $700 navigation-- and live with whatever sound quality the stereo will end up; and then there is still no guarantee that the spare kit will secure in that place.

The more I do to the car, the more stuck I am with it. It may be easier to sell it as-is, than try to sell it with half the sound system missing and some odd-looking contraption in its place.

Yes, the car is a LOT of fun. But those low-profile tires are very vulnerable, and w/o a spare I just can't trust the SRT for a weekend trip --which is what I used to use it for. And I won't keep it parked in the garage either.
Ah... That doesn't sound like a full solution then. I didn't think about the fact you'd have to pull the subwoofers... I thought the aftermarket kit would accommodate that and the space saver tire. That would be extraordinarily frustrating and a very difficult decision... I wish you luck on that.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ugh, the merchant who sells those SRT spare tire kits is totally sold out, and he is not doing it anymore for some reason.

I really don't have the time --or desire-- to scout the entire Web to put a spare tire kit together.

I really need to move on. It seems Longo Toyota wants to buy the car. We shall see...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Question: are the tires Run Flats?

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Nope. Everyone, including America's Tire, has talked me away from getting run flats.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Aldo said:
Nope. Everyone, including America's Tire, has talked me away from getting run flats.
I have no experiance with Run Flats, so I have no idea how they run/wear. Just thought it might be a sollution.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts