1,872 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
My 01 XJ came with a full size spare.
What trim line?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Aldo said:
So I went and test drove a 2013 Mustang GT.

I love the looks, the way it handles, having a spare tire and backup camera, and that legendary sound of the 5.0 is great...although still no match for a HEMI.

But I just couldn't get past how cheap it looks and feels once you get close, climb inside and pop the hood: the steering wheel feels too thin compared to that in the Challenger; and the hard plastics covering the door panels, the quarter panels, etc. look and feel crude.

I was horrified when the courteous salesman popped the hood: there is a flimsy plastic covering the space above the grille and the radiator that shakes like it is about to come off; the plastic engine cover bends like it is made of goo; and the whole engine bay area has a very 1980s feel to it with exposed wires, jagged screws and electric tape everywhere you look.

I opened the door of my Challenger and those SRT seats looked so inviting and comfortable; the steering wheel thick and rich, and the sound of the HEMI puts the 5.0 to shame. It felt SOOOOOOOO good driving out of there.

Nothing like test driving the competition to regain some perspective.
Interesting. I actually agree with most of what you said about the Mustang, the interior really is cheap, though it does handle really well, that being said, the highway ride is uncomfortable long term (believe me I have done 10 hr + trips in it).

I guess sound is subjective, because i really am not at all impressed with the sound of a hemi, and especially where Challengers are concerned think the Mustang sounds WORLDS better, especially with a nice exhaust system (although I still like it better stock vs stock).

That being said, a Borla ATAK system on an SRT Challenger is just about the sweetest sounding thing I have ever heard, but is the only exhaust system I have ever liked on the Challenger.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
browens1534 said:
What trim line?
Well it is a 4x4 Limited but the space inside is the same. A full size spare should fit. I've never looked at the spare tire hardware for a temporary spare on the XJ. I guess that either the threaded hook or the support for the bottom of the tire could be shorter/smaller on the models that came with a temporary spare. But those items can be swapped. Space between the rear seat back and the liftgate would still be the same.

·
Super Moderator
37,767 Posts
Actually, my Grand Cherokee Ltd. was recalled for the installation of a real wheel and full sized spare.
That's where I got all my Jeep temproray spare tires from. I had a friend who gave me the temp spares they removed.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
browens1534 said:
My Dads 01 XJ only has room for a doughnut, it was missing at purchase... But that's all that will fit.
The base models, maybe, but a full size spare easily fits inside All XJ models and every one I owned could accept a full sized spare.
They may have used a shorter center anchor, for the temp spare, but the hardware for a full sized will fit into the anchor point.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
A doughnut will fit with what's there. The prop isn't long enough to secure a full size spare.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
browens1534 said:
A doughnut will fit with what's there. The prop isn't long enough to secure a full size spare.
Which is what two of us have said. The full sized spare works just fine as long as you use a full sized spare anchor rod.
The room available isn't the issue, it's the attachment rod.
A full sized spare will indeed fit in the XJ if you change to the correct rod.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Wow! I got home to find a check from Chrysler refunding me for the Roadside Assistance tow charge and the spare tire kit!

My Service Manager said Chrysler offered to refund me but, I'll admit being a bit skeptical I'd see the refund w/o some requisite pushing and prodding. But I stand corrected and impressed!

For the record, I never asked for a refund. I shared my blowout story with my Service Manager to express my displeasure with Chrysler's Roadside Assistance and to find a workable solution to my lack of a spare tire.

Wow! IDK I would ever be able to feel this appreciated at Ford or any other competitor.

Now on, I promise to stop whining and complaining... :rimshot:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It seems like Chrysler goes above and beyond to make you happy I sure hope you remember their efforts in the future.
Good luck with your new spare and I guess you learned not to buy a car with no spare.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Aldo said:
Wow! I got home to find a check from Chrysler refunding me for the Roadside Assistance tow charge and the spare tire kit!

My Service Manager said Chrysler offered to refund me but, I'll admit being a bit skeptical I'd see the refund w/o some requisite pushing and prodding. But I stand corrected and impressed!

For the record, I never asked for a refund. I shared my blowout story with my Service Manager to express my displeasure with Chrysler's Roadside Assistance and to find a workable solution to my lack of a spare tire.

Wow! IDK I would ever be able to feel this appreciated at Ford or any other competitor.

GREAT!!!
(About the refund, not that you'd stop...:lol: )

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
HAHAHAHA!

I have bought enough vehicles from Chrysler over the years to have earned the right to hold them to task. :cop:
Nevertheless, I do feel their appreciation and cannot help feel humbled by it.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Aldo said:

That's great!

I'm hoping they will be as understanding about the brake situation on our Caravan.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Aldo said:
HAHAHAHA!

I have bought enough vehicles from Chrysler over the years to have earned the right to hold them to task. :cop:
Nevertheless, I do feel their appreciation and cannot help feel humbled by it.
Maybe we can ask a Moderator to revise the thread title to "Solved" ?

81 - 94 of 94 Posts