Allpar Forums banner

Chrysler Roadside Assistance BS - Solved :)

18K views 93 replies 22 participants last post by  MoparNorm 
#1 ·
I took my Challenger SRT for a drive up Crest Highway today, a mountain road known by So Cal sports car and motorcycle enthusiasts as a great driving and scenic route.

But my drive ended abruptly when I drove over a fallen rock, puncturing the front passenger tire instantly.

Since SRT vehicles are not equipped with a spare tire and there was no cell phone reception, I had to limp 20 miles @ 20 MPH...until the rubber melted. Fortunately, the tire disintegrated once I was within cell phone range.

Despite much care, the front spoiler got scraped getting the car up and down the flatbed tow truck

When I called Roadside Assistance I found that Chrysler, in its infinite cheapness, does NOT cover flat tires (?!?!?!?!?!)

Chrysler needs to find a way to fit a spare tire. Without the assurance that one can get home, these SRTs are nothing more than very expensive grocery getters.

See less See more
#77 ·
As long as the rolling circumference is the same as the normal tire, I'm not completely opposed to a skinny, donut-ish spare. I'm actually looking to do just that in my Cordoba, as the spare sits in the trunk and takes up a considerable amount of space, if I can find a 27.0" tall donut-thickness spare that is 5 on 4.5" then that would be good enough in my mind.

I'm actually looking into the kinds of tires that British sports cars used to use, as they were tall and skinny and will fit on a nice narrow, space-saving rim.

#78 ·
As long as the rolling circumference is the same as the normal tire, I'm not completely opposed to a skinny, donut-ish spare. I'm actually looking to do just that in my Cordoba, as the spare sits in the trunk and takes up a considerable amount of space, if I can find a 27.0" tall donut-thickness spare that is 5 on 4.5" then that would be good enough in my mind.

I'm actually looking into the kinds of tires that British sports cars used to use, as they were tall and skinny and will fit on a nice narrow, space-saving rim.
Look in Jeeps, like the plain Cherokee and the pre-1999 Grand Cherokee. Many had a tall temporary spare tire because of the 4x4 system.

#79 ·
valiant67 said:
Look in Jeeps, like the plain Cherokee and the pre-1999 Grand Cherokee. Many had a tall temporary spare tire because of the 4x4 system.
Actually, my Grand Cherokee Ltd. was recalled for the installation of a real wheel and full sized spare. It seemed that folks were complaining or having issues with the smaller but same diameter tires.
If One was 75 miles out on the trail and ran through a section rife with rocks and cactus, the temp tire wouldn't last too long.

#80 ·
valiant67 said:
My Dads 01 XJ only has room for a doughnut, it was missing at purchase... But that's all that will fit.

#83 ·
Aldo said:
So I went and test drove a 2013 Mustang GT.

I love the looks, the way it handles, having a spare tire and backup camera, and that legendary sound of the 5.0 is great...although still no match for a HEMI.

But I just couldn't get past how cheap it looks and feels once you get close, climb inside and pop the hood: the steering wheel feels too thin compared to that in the Challenger; and the hard plastics covering the door panels, the quarter panels, etc. look and feel crude.

I was horrified when the courteous salesman popped the hood: there is a flimsy plastic covering the space above the grille and the radiator that shakes like it is about to come off; the plastic engine cover bends like it is made of goo; and the whole engine bay area has a very 1980s feel to it with exposed wires, jagged screws and electric tape everywhere you look.

I opened the door of my Challenger and those SRT seats looked so inviting and comfortable; the steering wheel thick and rich, and the sound of the HEMI puts the 5.0 to shame. It felt SOOOOOOOO good driving out of there.

Nothing like test driving the competition to regain some perspective.
Interesting. I actually agree with most of what you said about the Mustang, the interior really is cheap, though it does handle really well, that being said, the highway ride is uncomfortable long term (believe me I have done 10 hr + trips in it).

I guess sound is subjective, because i really am not at all impressed with the sound of a hemi, and especially where Challengers are concerned think the Mustang sounds WORLDS better, especially with a nice exhaust system (although I still like it better stock vs stock).

That being said, a Borla ATAK system on an SRT Challenger is just about the sweetest sounding thing I have ever heard, but is the only exhaust system I have ever liked on the Challenger.

#84 ·
browens1534 said:
What trim line?
Well it is a 4x4 Limited but the space inside is the same. A full size spare should fit. I've never looked at the spare tire hardware for a temporary spare on the XJ. I guess that either the threaded hook or the support for the bottom of the tire could be shorter/smaller on the models that came with a temporary spare. But those items can be swapped. Space between the rear seat back and the liftgate would still be the same.

#86 ·
browens1534 said:
My Dads 01 XJ only has room for a doughnut, it was missing at purchase... But that's all that will fit.
The base models, maybe, but a full size spare easily fits inside All XJ models and every one I owned could accept a full sized spare.
They may have used a shorter center anchor, for the temp spare, but the hardware for a full sized will fit into the anchor point.

#88 ·
browens1534 said:
A doughnut will fit with what's there. The prop isn't long enough to secure a full size spare.
Which is what two of us have said. The full sized spare works just fine as long as you use a full sized spare anchor rod.
The room available isn't the issue, it's the attachment rod.
A full sized spare will indeed fit in the XJ if you change to the correct rod.

#89 ·
Wow! I got home to find a check from Chrysler refunding me for the Roadside Assistance tow charge and the spare tire kit!

My Service Manager said Chrysler offered to refund me but, I'll admit being a bit skeptical I'd see the refund w/o some requisite pushing and prodding. But I stand corrected and impressed!

For the record, I never asked for a refund. I shared my blowout story with my Service Manager to express my displeasure with Chrysler's Roadside Assistance and to find a workable solution to my lack of a spare tire.

Wow! IDK I would ever be able to feel this appreciated at Ford or any other competitor.

Now on, I promise to stop whining and complaining... :rimshot:

#90 ·
It seems like Chrysler goes above and beyond to make you happy I sure hope you remember their efforts in the future.
Good luck with your new spare and I guess you learned not to buy a car with no spare.
Mick

#91 ·
Aldo said:
Wow! I got home to find a check from Chrysler refunding me for the Roadside Assistance tow charge and the spare tire kit!

My Service Manager said Chrysler offered to refund me but, I'll admit being a bit skeptical I'd see the refund w/o some requisite pushing and prodding. But I stand corrected and impressed!

For the record, I never asked for a refund. I shared my blowout story with my Service Manager to express my displeasure with Chrysler's Roadside Assistance and to find a workable solution to my lack of a spare tire.

Wow! IDK I would ever be able to feel this appreciated at Ford or any other competitor.

GREAT!!!
(About the refund, not that you'd stop...:lol: )

#92 ·
HAHAHAHA!

I have bought enough vehicles from Chrysler over the years to have earned the right to hold them to task. :cop:
Nevertheless, I do feel their appreciation and cannot help feel humbled by it.

#93 ·
Aldo said:

That's great!

I'm hoping they will be as understanding about the brake situation on our Caravan.

#94 ·
Aldo said:
HAHAHAHA!

I have bought enough vehicles from Chrysler over the years to have earned the right to hold them to task. :cop:
Nevertheless, I do feel their appreciation and cannot help feel humbled by it.
Maybe we can ask a Moderator to revise the thread title to "Solved" ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.