Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 400 hours of use of the car during last 4 years the EL dashboard lighting (indiglo) stopped working (doesn't matter the illumination level). 99% the faulty component is the inverter. The inverter is soldered on the dashboard motherboard. (a little black component) Before starting to replace it I would like to know if anyone have idea about the manufacturer of this component and the working parameters. Can somebody help me?
Sorry for my English but it is not my native language. I hope the problem I have to be understand.
Thank You for the help!

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Your english is better than many native speakers here, not a problem. I know nothing of your actual problem, where are you?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
If it is like the electro-luminescent cluster lighting of the past, it is a small power supply mounted on the cluster circuit board. The inverter isn't serviced separately, but you may find a part number/manufacturer printed on it that you can google if it isn't too much of a captive part.
I would remove the cluster (CCN module) to inspect solder connections and get the component information. Many electronics parts suppliers sell inverters with a 12-14 volt input and 90 (?) volt output. The right size and configuration would also help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is like the electro-luminescent cluster lighting of the past, it is a small power supply mounted on the cluster circuit board. The inverter isn't serviced separately, but you may find a part number/manufacturer printed on it that you can google if it isn't too much of a captive part.
I would remove the cluster (CCN module) to inspect solder connections and get the component information. Many electronics parts suppliers sell inverters with a 12-14 volt input and 90 (?) volt output. The right size and configuration would also help.
Thank You for your kind help!
Unfortunately on the IC body it is anything printed or molded. On the top can be found only two clips for the EL foil terminals (110 V). I suppose that the inverter is a dedicated one, so it is needed an information regarding the manufacturer. Can somebody provide information regarding the cluster motherboard components?
Thank You once again!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A lot of times, the supplier for electronic parts is nearly impossible to determine, and because the part is so specialized, you can't just order one if they'll let you order it at all. Could very well be whoever owns Huntsville now, they were Chrysler's in-house electronic division until they were sold (I want to say to Siemens, but I'm not sure). But without numbers or marks, my guess is just that-- a guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, everyone!

new to this forum, but just have found this thread.

I got similar problem with my Sebring 2007 LTD dash, so I decided to take it apart and it also has EL strip terminal, nearby are 4 diodes (two on each side of PCB) and the chip (U4). The chip is in QFN 16 package, it's model is 04842345AA. Bad thing is I can't find any datasheet for it to find out where the input signal should be (from the dimmer). I believe it is coming from MC33888, that is also located on the same PCB and it's output (HS0) is serving background lights for the central console panels.

I probably could find where to buy this chip, but I'd rather make sure that's the problem first. Also the QFN packages are not very convenient to solder.

ddff

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
You probably won't find datasheets for most automotive IC's. Even Digchip.com has very few. It is factory-priority knowledge. They have a reason to keep it like this.
Any component have a burnt odor? Anyway to bench test the assembly for pinout voltages?
In our area, we sent out electronic assemblies for rework at the area Chrysler authorized repair depot: http://unitedradio.com/automotive/
I don't think that a semiconductor device is the weak link in an inverter. I would suspect the step-up autoformer first. It may be potted and unservicable, but a generic equivalent might be found.
It might be worth investigating this avenue of repair. I don't know about overseas authorized repair depots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for instant reply! I carefully inspected the PCB and did not find anything burned or damaged. I also didn't see any external step-up component. This corner seems to be responsible for EL:

On the other side there is a transformer, but it is connected to the vacuum tube (probably the anode voltage).

I want to find the pinout to make sure the chip (which is somewhere called as DC/DC invertor) receives any input before I call it dead. The tricky part is that dimmer signal is given to this board as serial data and it comes first to MC 33888 (Quad High Side and Octal Low Side Switch for Automotive) and then passed to other panels illumination from pin HS0 (adjusts between 2.5 and 13VDC depending on dim switch). I don't know which output is used for steering of the invertor (maybe HS1).
In this picture there is a switch chip (U5):

I might also bypass the original invertor and put one external (like the ones in older cars) directly to EL strips, but then I'm not sure if the HS0 output of the MC33888 has enough power to drive that along with the other panel lights. If not I might need to make another MOSFET stage to get more current. And that's where it becomes more complicated. However, this is only because local Chrysler dealer does not offer any repair or just PCB replacement - it's just complete instrument panel and they charge like $ 1200 for the panel + labor costs.

ddff

·
Registered
1 Posts
The no illumination problem is due to the elctro lamp driver IC and yes the IC is the D306A. However this IC is difficult to solder and using too much heat or exposure to heat for too long damage the small component. There's also a very high chance the IC will be bad again later on. There's also a chance that El lamp flex strip behind the gauges are bad as well. They sometime burn or lose their brightness due to moisture getting into the crevices. Replacing that is much harder for obvious reasons. The signal for illumination you mentioned above is wrong. Illumination is control through the Main Micro through a pulse clock signal and not the MC33888 IC that you mentioned. The MC33888 IC is the CAN bus IC/5V regulator supplying the PCB. Without it, the entire cluster would be dead but it has nothing to do with the backlighting illumination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have the same problem with my avenger crd diesel from 2008 and sebring convertible crd diesel 2009, so it must be a common problem. Sometimes gauge light do not come on , go out during driving, go back on again. Sometimes they work fine for weeks, and suddenly problems start to appear again. All other dashboard lights work fine... problem only with speed, rpm, fuel and engine heat gauges. Dealer also wanted to replace all gauges at 1400 dollar (times 2, for the 2 cars).... thanks but no thanks... what is the most simple sollution to this? Can't I get 12v power from somewhere else, eg the middle clock of the sebring? Where on the motherboard is this converter located? Does it help to bypass the dimmer (don't care if the damn thing works or not).

Thanks for any advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts