Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across https://www.techauthority.com/ which provides some service info including service manuals and training manuals to purchase.​

Offers subscriptions including short-term, I haven’t had the time to fully figure out to what information that gives access to, appears it provides much including data to update SW in modules using some scan tools.​

It is a great idea, and a start, but the search function is not adequate, applicable years are not always given for the manuals, not enough detail such as depth in training manual, no e-version of documents AFAIK (some are on CD, some paper print-on-demand), and actual ordering is clunky at best (at this moment I cannot get items into shopping cart).​

At $14. the paper training manuals sound reasonable.​

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
It does look like they are trying to clear out their remaining obsolete paper manual stock. This could be a great opportunity to get a factory service manual and diagnostic procedures manuals for what you own at a decent price.
Chrysler ended paper service manuals after the 2004 model year. Paper owners manuals have continued for now.

·
KOG
6,995 Posts
They had paper FSM through 08 for minivans at least.

·
Registered
155 Posts
They had paper FSM through 08 for minivans at least.
WOW!!! $506.00 for the 08 minivan paper FSM manual (5 volumes and weighs 25 pounds) the CD is $206.00.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
And I see pirate copies(?) on the internet for under $10 although I can't vouch for their content.
The price of a service manual has to be looked at like buying a tool. Sometimes knowing how to do something will make it pay for itself the first time you use it.
I thought that with the closure of so many dealerships in 2009, that the internet would be flooded with used service manuals and special tools.
Alldata is a service manual information website that is mostly, but not always complete. You need a subscription to access it. A local main public library used to have a subscription to it until it got cut back. Some libraries do have factory manuals for loan (many '60's, '70's, and '80's). You can find Chiltons, Haynes, Mitchells and Motor service information for most vehicles, but nothing is better than a factory manual. Support your local library.
Sometimes if you Google what part of a particular car you are trying to fix, something, even just a diagram or video shows up and can help.

·
KOG
6,995 Posts
Yeah, they like that paper. I've got 08 paper and 09 CD for my 09.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I got the 3 Diagnostic Books for the Plymouth for $65, it looks like they don't sell the Chassis or the Body Diagnostics Manuals for the 1998 MY any more, but they still have the Powertrain Diagnostic Book, the Paper Service Manual, the CD Service Manual, the Approved Paint Procedures, the Owner's Manual, both alone and the Whole Kit (80% off too!) and the FWD Diagnosis and Repair Workbook. (I managed to Snag a used 1999 JA Service Manual at a used Bookstore for $6!)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beware of pirate copies.
I fell for a CD out of Toronto, it was a 92 though included CNG, had to muck about on three computers to read it as seller couldn't record correctly. Hopefully eBay cancelled his account.
Some people claim that bankruptcy wiped out IPRrights, I'm from Missouri on that line.

I found all diagnostic manuals including CNG engine on eBay, am trying to get training manual.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be some improvement to the site, and I did get to where I could put items in shopping cart.

Customer Service people somewhat slow to grasp questionss.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to get to the Place Order point, the ordering function has potential but defects:
- Place Order appears to do something but does not confirm order accepted
- UPS expedited shipping price less than “Saver” price choice (there’s a third option for one-quarter those prices, the Standard slow boat)
- bizarre function that refuses to take the US Postal Service defined address format of unit number being on a separate line below the street address line, Chrysler’s SW forces all on one line (and forces to use “Unit” instead of “#”, which is not correct for mailboxes). IOW, instead of [first line: 27 Moonbeam Place second line #20] they force [one line: 27 Moonbeam Place Unit 20]. I used to think bureaucracies could read the rules , I was wrong. Their change results in rejection of credit card.
- insecure approach of wanting CVN code off back of credit card, if someone intercepts or an insider steals the information (as happened to me once) the criminal has all they need.
- reaching Customer Care is quite awkward (one thing to watch out for is to call “other” not “Witech” whatever that is. Staff are not skilled).
- you have to first establish an account, even though it is simple so little meaning, before you can order, that is not communicated before starting the order process.
- when I pointed to the address problem, I received an inane reply, as I have in the past about other things

As for the subscriptions for extensive access, they mostly cover 1996 and on for manuals and such, some manuals for 1995 (odd as 94-95 Caravans are essentially the same and manuals often cover 1993-1995, I suspect they are covering OBD II only), and TSBS+Recalls for 1992 and on. Not enough specifics given. Includes “training materials”. Unclear what is downloadable, their response to my query was ambivalent. (They did talk of a “preview” but that may just be the listing of the subscription in their catalog. Amazing how people can talk without being clear.)

As I mentioned earlier, the subscription includes access to files needed to reprogram “controllers”, links to lists are given so you can check availability, once online with the subscription there is a list of file numbers and other information for reprogramming, including ability to view JTEC, SBEC and FCC related OBD II information. (SBEC is one of Chrysler’s names for the ECM.)

If you have to do any digging around to find information and understand it the 3-day subscription will be needed, at $35. versus the 1-_hour_ price of $11.75.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts