Allpar Forums banner

Chrysler vs Buick EV Battle.

3477 Views 33 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  cgseller
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Buick
With Buick set to be "All Electric" in the US by 2030 with its Electra nameplate, does Chrysler need to beat Buick the punch with its Airflow EV and subsequent EV offerings?
Buick Electra EV
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Chrysler Airflow EV
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
My understanding that all Buick sedans are currently sold outside the U.S. but if they are coming back to the U.S. then Chrysler needs to catch up with something a lot more creative than what they have shown so far, otherwise a Buick that daring, innovative and beautiful to me at least will clobber them.

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,294 Posts
A Buick division nod to Harley Earl?

The Airflow in the lower image is recognizable as a Chrysler. It has the familiar Sebring/200 design elements.

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see this selling to the majority of Buick owners which are elderly.
I believe that is a stigma that Buick would like to shed in the US. EV's are for the young tech generation.
My understanding is that US Buick and China Buick are going to become 2 separate entities.
So no more China made Buicks in the US like the Envision.

I'd say "no."
You don't see the Electra and Airflow getting cross shopped?

· Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,833 Posts
I believe that is a stigma that Buick would like to shed in the US. EV's are for the young tech generation.
My understanding is that US Buick and China Buick are going to become 2 separate entities.
They been trying to shed that identity ever since I was a kid, it never worked though. I like the cars but they need to realize who they will always be. It's like typecasting of an actor, eventually you can't escape what you've become.

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They been trying to shed that identity ever since I was a kid, it never worked though. I like the cars but they need to realize who they will always be. It's like typecasting of an actor, eventually you can't escape what you've become.
Depends on what you are selling...like in the 80's with the Grand National. That was "not your Grandpa's Buick".
The problem is differentiation...EV's generally all do the same things mechanically. What would the Buick Electra offer to separate it from the Chrysler Airflow and vice versa?

· Registered
2,833 Posts
Depends on what you are selling...like in the 80's with the Grand National. That was "not your Grandpa's Buick".
The problem is differentiation...EV's generally all do the same things mechanically. What would the Buick Electra offer to separate it from the Chrysler Airflow and vice versa?
I agree about the grand natty. That was probably the last example of trying to shed their old buyer persona. IMO after the 90s they went right back into their usually buyer. I think if Buick does this hardcore push to EV they will fail.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,595 Posts
I do, but I don't think it's going to be an either/or situation, nor do I think Buick will be Chrysler’s #1 competitor.

· Super Moderator
21,350 Posts
Oldsmobile tried to shed the old person’s car image by abandoning their core market and they are gone. Buick tried the same several times and is barely hanging on.

Chrysler suffers a bit. Even the PT Cruiser saw an older audience than expected.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
Oldsmobile tried to shed the old person’s car image by abandoning their core market and they are gone. Buick tried the same several times and is barely hanging on.

Chrysler suffers a bit. Even the PT Cruiser saw an older audience than expected.
Buick is more than hanging on, unless you're talking only US. Buick isn't going anywhere because of China, the same country that Jeep couldn't cut it in

· Registered
2,926 Posts
My 80 year old aunt would love to buy a new Buick CAR, preferably in yellow.
Of course Buick doesn't offer any cars anymore in the US, just crossovers. And other than the Corvette what was the last GM vehicle that offered yellow?
Right now the cars gm offers in yellow are the spark, corvette, and shits amd gigs the Celestiq since you can get any color. IN 19 the Camaro had yellow as an option

· Registered
2,833 Posts
My 80 year old aunt would love to buy a new Buick CAR, preferably in yellow.
Of course Buick doesn't offer any cars anymore in the US, just crossovers. And other than the Corvette what was the last GM vehicle that offered yellow?
Yeah and some of the older crowd don't want crossovers. I just see them dying on the vine regardless.

· Super Moderator
7,182 Posts

If that is the case, they should have done something more daring with the production model. It looks like every other crossover on the market, but slightly worse.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

· Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,830 Posts
I agree about the grand natty. That was probably the last example of trying to shed their old buyer persona. IMO after the 90s they went right back into their usually buyer. I think if Buick does this hardcore push to EV they will fail.
GM doesn't need Buick in the states. I would imagine that this is their last hoorah here. Their buyers are older and as they move away from them, their sales will continue downward. But you can't cater solely to older people either. I always felt after 2009 they only need Chevy and I guess Cadillac. But if Cadillac didn't have the Escalade they'd be toast too.

· Registered
1,323 Posts
There is an old saying, "what goes around, comes around". Already there is a move from crossovers due to the overall boring, sorry, I should say really, really, unimaginative styling. I mean, the Tonale/Hornet would have to fight for attention with an Escape, for heavens sake! Although it hurts to say this, the only really identifiable ones are Porsches, the rest, MEH. If Buick or Chrysler, could bring a really attractive new car to the market, they would certainly find takers. Buick has great heritage, like Chrysler, they just need to use it. Am I the only person who remembers the '65 Wildcats? Just smoking hot and so beautiful! One of Bill Mitchell's best IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts