Allpar Forums banner

Chrysler vs Buick EV Battle.

2334 32
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Buick
With Buick set to be "All Electric" in the US by 2030 with its Electra nameplate, does Chrysler need to beat Buick the punch with its Airflow EV and subsequent EV offerings?
Buick Electra EV
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Chrysler Airflow EV
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
GM doesn't need Buick in the states. I would imagine that this is their last hoorah here. Their buyers are older and as they move away from them, their sales will continue downward. But you can't cater solely to older people either. I always felt after 2009 they only need Chevy and I guess Cadillac. But if Cadillac didn't have the Escalade they'd be toast too.
You could say that for almost any manufacturer. If Chrysler didn't have jeep or ram they would have been killed entirely, hell they tried like hell to split them all up anyway. If ford didn't have the f150 they'd be just as bad as dodge.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There is an old saying, "what goes around, comes around". Already there is a move from crossovers due to the overall boring, sorry, I should say really, really, unimaginative styling. I mean, the Tonale/Hornet would have to fight for attention with an Escape, for heavens sake! Although it hurts to say this, the only really identifiable ones are Porsches, the rest, MEH. If Buick or Chrysler, could bring a really attractive new car to the market, they would certainly find takers. Buick has great heritage, like Chrysler, they just need to use it. Am I the only person who remembers the '65 Wildcats? Just smoking hot and so beautiful! One of Bill Mitchell's best IMO.
All it takes is a "Home Run" design like the 2005 300 to reinvigorate a brand.
I like more brands because they equal more choices.
We already have way less choices "brand wise" than we did 20-25 years ago.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
From Chrysler, yes, less choice brand wise; overall, we have more brands, with the addition of Mini, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Genesis, (Kia?), and so on.
Most of those are boutique specialty brands in the US. Chrysler (and Buick) are well on their way to becoming such brands that on the whims of a US economic downturn could easily get pulled out of the US market or axed from existence entirely.

Kia has been around in the US since the mid 1990's, I think? I wouldn't lump Kia with those boutique brands. Kia is mainstream, with a full lineup of cars, cuvs and a suv.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,225 Posts
Most of those are boutique specialty brands in the US. Chrysler (and Buick) are well on their way to becoming such brands that on the whims of a US economic downturn could easily get pulled out of the US market or axed from existence entirely.

Kia has been around in the US since the mid 1990's, I think? I wouldn't lump Kia with those boutique brands. Kia is mainstream, with a full lineup of cars, cuvs and a suv.
Still more brand choice. Forget I said Kia ;) Also, I can add Scout, Rivian, Tesla, and Bollinger. They are all real brands. They are all choice.

·
Jeepaholic
7,071 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
All it takes is a "Home Run" design like the 2005 300 to reinvigorate a brand.
I like more brands because they equal more choices.
We already have way less choices "brand wise" than we did 20-25 years ago.
This seems to be true for Chrysler. When they start swinging the public really react. Not all brands get the same reaction from the buying public.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yeah and some of the older crowd don't want crossovers. I just see them dying on the vine regardless.
Some, sure. Most, probably not. At least not in suburbia and rural US markets. All the sedans just sit too low. A reasonable height tall car, CUV, or minivan is just right when you're older. I just hit the 50 mark, and climbing in and out of low slung cars isn't the most enjoyable experience anymore.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts