Allpar Forums banner
201 - 220 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,504 Posts
Yes, That's the timeline I searched for, 1938. Not sure how long they used it and I saw a red one as well. I would use it on higher end Chryslers if the line stays.
I have seen a red one as well. I use to go to junkyards that had cars that old in it still and would see the emblems like that.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have seen a red one as well. I use to go to junkyards that had cars that old in it still and would see the emblems like that.
I had an interesting thought. I saw an article somewhere about some auto shops turning old cars into electric vehicles. What if someone could bring in their, lets say Concorde or Town & Country and convert it into an electric vehicle, could Chrysler possibly resell their old vehicles as EVs to generate profit?

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I had an interesting thought. I saw an article somewhere about some auto shops turning old cars into electric vehicles. What if someone could bring in their, lets say Concorde or Town & Country and convert it into an electric vehicle, could Chrysler possibly resell their old vehicles as EVs to generate profit?
Could they? Probably not. The cost would be too high, the market too small. There would be no tax incentive to convert an old car to electric in the US (unlike buying a new electric car, from anyone other than Tesla or GM).

Reactions: page2171

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't know, I have already seen a few electric 'restomods' online. And there was that sci-fi movie 'Gattaca' that had a ton of old cars made electric. I would love a Studebaker Silver Hawk with an electric system installed!

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I don't know, I have already seen a few electric 'restomods' online. And there was that sci-fi movie 'Gattaca' that had a ton of old cars made electric. I would love a Studebaker Silver Hawk with an electric system installed!
Yes, those cars do exist. Problem is they are fairly expensive. Ford’s electric motor is $5k without batteries. So a conversion of a special interest car may make sense, but a conversion of an ordinary 30 year old car would not.

Reactions: page2171 and tlc

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, those cars do exist. Problem is they are fairly expensive. Ford’s electric motor is $5k without batteries. So a conversion of a special interest car may make sense, but a conversion of an ordinary 30 year old car would not.
Idea is that it could keep cars out of junkyards, or extend their cycles to an extent. Other than accidents, people junk their cars due to mechanical issues, which could potentially be corrected by converting to an EV. It would have to be done carefully, but it's essentially recycling the cars.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Idea is that it could keep cars out of junkyards, or extend their cycles to an extent. Other than accidents, people junk their cars due to mechanical issues, which could potentially be corrected by converting to an EV. It would have to be done carefully, but it's essentially recycling the cars.
Yet you end up with a modern power train but with no safety improvements. And you overlook the fact that rust will make many cars unsuitable to live on.
For less than the cost of the conversion, the car could have a remanufactured or used conventional powertrain installed - but they don't because they want a newer car.

Reactions: tlc and David S

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rust is the big issue. My last 4 vehicles, all with over 200,000 miles, 3 went to the scrap yard because of rust. the other one was because of an accident. All power trains were running great.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,208 Posts
Rust is the big issue. My last 4 vehicles, all with over 200,000 miles, 3 went to the scrap yard because of rust. the other one was because of an accident. All power trains were running great.
Rust is made much worse by road salt. As a former northerner, it's unbelievable how much better the bodies are on southern vehicles. Even rust prone ones. My wife before we were married had a Venture minivan. It was rusted clear out in places from the salt. There are examples down here in Tennessee where we live that are completely rust free. It's just amazing.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts

When Chrysler redoes their minivan, they should build off this generation, which is essentially a continuation of the generation that introduced their van.
There is a major reason that won’t work. Once you add required crumple zones, side impact protection, rollover protection, etc. anything that’s not a death trap on the original minivan footprint will have little useable interior space.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
There is a major reason that won’t work. Once you add required crumple zones, side impact protection, rollover protection, etc. anything that’s not a death trap on the original minivan footprint will have little useable interior space.
That's a bunch of nonsense. Side impact regulations add virtually no space. As for the length, I doubt anyone looking for a small minvan would mind it being 185" long instead of 177" long, both common compact car lengths. The original Grand Caravan was 192" long, same length as an Accord or Sonata. That was the whole point, a small van that parks exactly like a FWD car. A real minivan.

Vehicles actually on sale in the US:
Chevy Spark 1,595 mm (62.8 in) wide 3,636 mm (143.1 in) long (federal bumpers add a whopping 2" to the South Korean car). 97 cu ft subcompact.
Mitsubishi Mirage 1,665 mm (65.6 in) wide 3,845 mm (151.4 in) long, 103/101 cu ft compact hatch/sedan
Nissan Versa 1,740 mm (68.5 in) wide 4,495 mm (177.0 in) long 105 cu ft compact, same as Neon
Hyundai Accent 1,729 mm (68.1 in) wide 4,385 mm (172.6 in) long, 104 cu ft compact, same as Neon

This is precisely what you get on the PSA EMP2 platform with first generation minivan dimensions:

C4 Spacetourer / Grand C4 Spacetourer1st gen Caravan/Grand Caravan
Wheelbase2,785 or 2,840 mm (109.6 or 111.8 in)112 in (2,844.8 mm) 119.1 in (3,025 mm)
Length4,428 or 4,600 mm (174.3 or 181.1 in)177.3 in (4,503 mm) 191.9 in (4,874 mm)
Width1,826 mm (71.9 in)72 in (1,829 mm)
Height1,610 or 1,625 mm (63.4 or 64.0 in)64.6 in (1,641 mm)

Grand C4 spacetourer is the same wheelbase as the SWB Caravan, it winds up 181" long, 4" longer than the SWB caravan. Width and height are almost exactly the same. That's pretty much what modern safety regulations do.

201 - 220 of 283 Posts