Allpar Forums banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The '05 300 was different from anything out there. It knocked everyone's socks off and sold in big numbers (for a big 4-door), and gave the Chrysler brand credibility. That's what I'd like to see going forward. Not necessarily a remake of the '05, but something different, something bold and distinctive, something that would create interest and showroom traffic. IMHO, that was a big part of what was wrong with the 200 and Dart. They were totally, completely generic. It seemed they were designed to blend in, not stand out. Turn Gilles loose and let's see what happens!
100000000000000% agree !!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
CHRYSLER‘s upcoming design language is going to be rebadged DS and Peugeot. The real reason to save CHRYSLER and Lancia is to sell more than 60k DS cars a year.
Highly unlikely, at least long-term. We already saw how poorly a rebadged 300 as a Lancia Thema was received.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Highly unlikely, at least long-term. We already saw how poorly a rebadged 300 as a Lancia Thema was received.
Irrelevant. Fiat hasn't made a full sized car since the 1940's, they don't sell in Italy. Compact and midsize FWD/AWD cars and crossovers sell in the millions in the US for all 4 segments.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The problem with Lancia was the lack of involvement in preparing the Chryslers to be re-badged. They should have waited at least a year to better integrate the models as Lancia's, refreshed styling, handling,and Lancia-isation wasn't done properly. If they had time to work on the vehicles and make them less identifiably Chryslers, I think sales would have been much better, especially for the 200 and Voyager. I actually liked the Thema better than the 300, it seemed classier, with a little Italian panache.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The problem with Lancia was the lack of involvement in preparing the Chryslers to be re-badged. They should have waited at least a year to better integrate the models as Lancia's, refreshed styling, handling,and Lancia-isation wasn't done properly. If they had time to work on the vehicles and make them less identifiably Chryslers, I think sales would have been much better, especially for the 200 and Voyager. I actually liked the Thema better than the 300, it seemed classier, with a little Italian panache.
But then that becomes something other than a rebadge.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Irrelevant. Fiat hasn't made a full sized car since the 1940's, they don't sell in Italy. Compact and midsize FWD/AWD cars and crossovers sell in the millions in the US for all 4 segments.
Car size has nothing to do with it. Simple rebadging is the problem in the case of the 300-Thema, and it's a potential pitfall here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Lancia Therma was hilariously tone deaf. I can't imagine anyone was happy about it.

It was so out of character for both brands, that it would be like as if Volkswagen bought Chrysler and reintroduced the Dodge Viper as a Passat with a body kit.

Edit: For a quick survey of Lancia history, I suppose this video would do.

They mostly made smaller rally cars, sports car, and stuff of that sort.

There's even an episode of top gear where they cover an enthusiast company that takes Ferraris and shortens them to turn them into a 'modern Lancia Stratos'

As much as I love the 300, I think rebadging a 300 and calling it a Lancia was pretty tone deaf lol. I wonder why they did that.

The funny thing was at the time, I used to hang out on 300cforums a lot. There were a decent number of European fans on the site who were confused and disappointed. Once Lancia launched the Thema, you could no longer buy a 300 in Europe. At least, not where they were selling the Lancia. AFAIK. It made no sense. People who wanted a big Yank Tank wanted the silly street cred to go with it.

It's even funnier because Lancia is one of those weird narrowly defined brands like that. You could make a convertible sports car and call it a Jeepster because, Willys slapped the Jeep name on everything lol. Same with Chrysler really, they sold furnaces and train brakes and whatever else.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
The Lancia Therma was hilariously tone deaf. I can't imagine anyone was happy about it.

It was so out of character for both brands, that it would be like as if Volkswagen bought Chrysler and reintroduced the Dodge Viper as a Passat with a body kit.

Edit: For a quick survey of Lancia history, I suppose this video would do.

They mostly made smaller rally cars, sports car, and stuff of that sort.

There's even an episode of top gear where they cover an enthusiast company that takes Ferraris and shortens them to turn them into a 'modern Lancia Stratos'

As much as I love the 300, I think rebadging a 300 and calling it a Lancia was pretty tone deaf lol. I wonder why they did that.

The funny thing was at the time, I used to hang out on 300cforums a lot. There were a decent number of European fans on the site who were confused and disappointed. Once Lancia launched the Thema, you could no longer buy a 300 in Europe. At least, not where they were selling the Lancia. AFAIK. It made no sense. People who wanted a big Yank Tank wanted the silly street cred to go with it.

It's even funnier because Lancia is one of those weird narrowly defined brands like that. You could make a convertible sports car and call it a Jeepster because, Willys slapped the Jeep name on everything lol. Same with Chrysler really, they sold furnaces and train brakes and whatever else.
LOL. That's like saying Dodge mostly made Vipers. Here is the truth of the matter:

The top 4 are different generations of the Ypsilon, then the Delta, Beta, Prisma, Thema and Fulvia.

In other words they made slightly upmarket economy cars. The ones you post about were homologation specials that didn't add up to 60K cars total.

Same story for Alfa
Notice that only the FWD ones had decent yearly sales.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,406 Posts
Kind 'a Like this !

Attachments

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
But then that becomes something other than a rebadge.
I should be more careful in my choice of words. I said re-badge, actually meaning something more like 'badge engineering' where one brand takes the basic vehicle and puts its own engineering and top hat ( grills fascia, etc. ) just like Chrysler and Dodge shared the LX, so should have Lancia been able to add it's own personality to the package. That's more what I mean when I say re-badge, rather than simply changing the name. Lazy english..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I should be more careful in my choice of words. I said re-badge, actually meaning something more like 'badge engineering' where one brand takes the basic vehicle and puts its own engineering and top hat ( grills fascia, etc. ) just like Chrysler and Dodge shared the LX, so should have Lancia been able to add it's own personality to the package. That's more what I mean when I say re-badge, rather than simply changing the name. Lazy english..
Ummm...hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "badge engineering" is a misnomer, in that there is no real engineering. "Badge engineering" is an intentionally derisive misnomer, not a technical term.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So we've now been given hints of Chrysler's future design language! We saw vehicles during the Chrysler EV event that seem rather interesting. Here are some photos of the Chrysler/Dodge portion.

Many are calling this the Chrysler Airflow, but we really don't know. We do see a bit of the Chrysler 200 in the front end of this design, but towards the rear it becomes more CUV in shape, more like a lifted sedan. Something we are seeing Ford do with the Fusion replacement in the Evos.

This next SUV has been thrown around as a Dodge or a Chrysler depending on who you ask. So we cannot be too sure this is a Chrysler. It definitely looks like it is meant to be sporty. It also shares a rounded front end similar to the Chrysler EV we saw above, but also the rear seems to allude to the rear of the sedan posted below.

Yes, this. Some call it the next Charger, some day the Hammerhead, others know it's just a sedan. Some sources say this is even the next Chrysler luxury sedan. So imagine if this was indeed a rough idea of a future Chrysler sedan. It is a sleek design with almost a hatch-style rear. The rear "spoiler" beautifully transitions to a side haunch, but more elegantly done then say a Charger.

While the mottos for each brand is cringe, it is worth noting that despite that motto, Chrysler may go upscale. The "Airflow" concept we see is clearly more fancy than not. As well, if any of these other two designs are a Chrysler, it does have a nice sleek design that could do nicely as a luxury vehicle. Chrysler definitely has access to luxury materials since Jeep and Ram do now. Imagine Chrysler shaking things up like the Genesis brand has.

So what can we get from this? Will the design be a further evolution of what the Chrysler 200 started? Will they use any cues from that rare Chrysler Manta concept we saw long ago. Is this all a good thing for Chrysler going forward? To think... people were "good" with just giving Chrysler rebadged products... absolutely shameful.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
To think... people were "good" with just giving Chrysler rebadged products... absolutely shameful.
Thanks to FCA's neglect over the last 10 years, people are desperate. Do not be upset with the people, be upset with those who created this situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks to FCA's neglect over the last 10 years, people are desperate. Do not be upset with the people, be upset with those who created this situation.
Ever since Chrysler killed the Aspen, PT (which both should have gotten next generation models), and Crossfire, things had only been going down hill, with Dodge (despite the massively successful muscle cars) seemingly following suite. If it were up to me, I would revive the following nameplates and add a couple new ones to the line up:

• All new Chrysler 300 ( 2024 Model year, TL: S, limited, C, E (electric), and PHEV (plugin hybrid))
  • All new Chrysler 100 ( 2023 Model year CUV, TL : Limited, E, Elite (new trim), PHEV)
-Chrysler 400 ( 2024 Model year SUV, rebadged next-gen Jeep Cherokee, TL: Limited, E,S, PHEV)
  • All new Chrysler New Yorker (2024 Model Year, Midsize Sedan, TL: Limited, S, E, and Elite)
  • All new Chrysler Aspen (2023 Model year, rebadged Jeep Grand Wagoneer, TL: S, Elite, and E)

and lastly,
-All new Chrysler Barracuda (I would put the new reincarnation has a high performance PHEV/E Muscle car instead of Dodge, who could very well get a new Hornet) (2025 Model year, TL: PHEV, E, Rage (new trim), and Rally (borrowed from Dodge).

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Ever since Chrysler killed the Aspen, PT (which both should have gotten next generation models), and Crossfire, things had only been going down hill, with Dodge (despite the massively successful muscle cars) seemingly following suite. If it were up to me, I would revive the following nameplates and add a couple new ones to the line up:

• All new Chrysler 300 ( 2024 Model year, TL: S, limited, C, E (electric), and PHEV (plugin hybrid))
  • All new Chrysler 100 ( 2023 Model year CUV, TL : Limited, E, Elite (new trim), PHEV)
-Chrysler 400 ( 2024 Model year SUV, rebadged next-gen Jeep Cherokee, TL: Limited, E,S, PHEV)
  • All new Chrysler New Yorker (2024 Model Year, Midsize Sedan, TL: Limited, S, E, and Elite)
  • All new Chrysler Aspen (2023 Model year, rebadged Jeep Grand Wagoneer, TL: S, Elite, and E)

and lastly,
-All new Chrysler Barracuda (I would put the new reincarnation has a high performance PHEV/E Muscle car instead of Dodge, who could very well get a new Hornet) (2025 Model year, TL: PHEV, E, Rage (new trim), and Rally (borrowed from Dodge).
Charger sales have been relatively flat since its introduction. In the US, the Charger has been around 90K sales per year.....some higher and some years lower, but it has been steady. The introduction of Hellcats has not increased sales.

One might argue it prevented a decrease, but Hellcats and Demons only account for a handful of sales in comparison to Pentastar and Hemi Chargers.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts