Allpar Forums banner
121 - 140 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Model S is a $95,000 car with range of around 400 miles.
You've got two problems:
1) It's still along way to 600 miles you targeted, so you need 50% more battery (actually more because you've then got to caay all that battery weight around)
2) People are unlikely to pay $95,000 (or probably more) for an electric Chrysler Concorde.
The Lucid Air almost looks like it's trying to be both a Chrysler and a Lincoln.

Stellantis could pull it off, but they need to get very serious about build quality.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Just an aside: when LHS duds went to CONCORD consolidating the two, everything from mid-level CONCORD should've been made the base offering: LX; next up: LXI then range topping LHS (torque biased AWD and other refieents). I honestly thought this would happen; Daimler AG failed us...
Daimler failed us by making 300 a replacement for the Concorde instead of a model above a new FWD Concorde.

·
Registered
324 Posts
In the meantime while they are working on getting Chrysler high range models, they can look to how cars like the Hyundai Elantra and Honda Accord get 37 and 33 mpg without being EVs or hybrids, and then use DS for design inspiration.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Daimler failed us by making 300 a replacement for the Concorde instead of a model above a new FWD Concorde.
Yes, and how many would they have sold? None of the FWD cars from that era are even in production anymore! Going RWD probably saved the LX's for 10 years past their original life span. I don't remember the Concorde as a particularly big seller for Chrysler, and the 2nd generation wasn't nearly as handsome as the original LHS was. The 300 was the right move, but they did need a follow up, either a New Yorker or a Newport to handle the customers looking for more of a 'luxury' orientation. They killed their longest and strongest nameplate for no good reason. (New Yorker)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Here is a fluff piece talking about the Chrysler Airflow EV. I don't know if they are several months late to the party on talking about this, but they go on a tangent about design language. Article. The author claims the design is made to compete with the Mach E and made to look like it. I think their argument is flawed in how they frame it, but the vehicle is meant to compete against other EVs, whatever they may be.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, and how many would they have sold? None of the FWD cars from that era are even in production anymore! Going RWD probably saved the LX's for 10 years past their original life span. I don't remember the Concorde as a particularly big seller for Chrysler, and the 2nd generation wasn't nearly as handsome as the original LHS was. The 300 was the right move, but they did need a follow up, either a New Yorker or a Newport to handle the customers looking for more of a 'luxury' orientation. They killed their longest and strongest nameplate for no good reason. (New Yorker)
I think the 300 took that over. At the time Chrysler could have done many things but we know what happened. Maybe the 300 should have been a New Yorker and the 300M stayed fwd. We'll never know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the direction that Lincoln has gone in the last few years but a bit more squarish and flat roofed on sedans is what I would want.

The 300 styling language has a lot of opportunity especially if they added more futuristic design details. Square off the headlights, don't have them wrap around onto the fenders. Make the vehicle wider, the taillights narrower and the roof flatter.

Inside a 1970's mixed with modern theme. Straight lines, minimal controls aside from screens.

Oh and can we go back to plush but firm seats? I miss my 300M so much just for that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I think the direction that Lincoln has gone in the last few years but a bit more squarish and flat roofed on sedans is what I would want.
This! But here is my fear. Lincoln sales, despite the much better designs and interior improvements, have not gone up. They are still floundering. Are these old legacy brands never going to pick up? Are people just not buying these brand names anymore? But I agree, Lincoln is making some pretty solid designs now. I loved the Continental, and I had a weird fascination wit the MKZ... don't ask. ;) The new Navigator was a bold statement and the newer Aviator is a very modern design.

I personally always loved the front end design of the older Imperial concept. I really disliked the rear... so I won't show it. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Time for some new photos of the Chrysler Airflow... well... it's kinda not ideal, but it is what it is. These were a part of a pamphlet for the Stellantis CES event for 2022. You can read more about it here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the 300 took that over. At the time Chrysler could have done many things but we know what happened. Maybe the 300 should have been a New Yorker and the 300M stayed fwd. We'll never know.
The 300M was a last minute name change because they axed the Eagle line. Originally it was supposed to be the next gen Vision there are photos of the pilots with Eagle Vision badges. It did work out for the better but there should have been a higher level 300C.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Whatever Chryslers future design language, it needs to be a little more radical to draw the younger Gamer fans. Charger, Challenger and 300 were a good start but they can't rest on that alone. As more people move to trucks you can see the Japanese and Korean makers making their CUVs larger and larger so it wouldn't be out of place to have something like Daimlers Pacifica, maybe bigger like a version of an Imperial/300 AWD.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The Lucid Air almost looks like it's trying to be both a Chrysler and a Lincoln.

Stellantis could pull it off, but they need to get very serious about build quality.
It also wouldn't hurt if Ma Stella could poach the person(s) responsible for the design of the Lucid Air.
That car is very close to what my idea of what a modern Imperial should look like!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,556 Posts
The 90s style doesn't excite me anymore. The current cars except for the Challenger aren't my favorites either. I'd like to see some new ideas out of the design studio, unless they all went to Hyundai/Kia.

121 - 140 of 233 Posts