·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The last time the State Fair Of Texas was cancelled was during WWII

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
We are slowly getting back to normal.
I won't be back to normal. Some of my health damage may be permanent. I still haven't been tested for corona, so no-one officially knows what I had. I also have to finish my anti-viral medications course, so a final damage report still awaits. Taking anti-viral medicine is no walk in the park. I don't want people to feel sorry for me, it's part of life. I just mention my plight as a teachable moment.

Younger people who have contracted the novel corona virus and did test positive have seen some life threatening situations such as blood clots, nerve, heart and lung damage as various reminders of their bout with Covid-19.

Samuel Clemens is credited with this observation.
There are three types of learners. Some people learn by reading. Others learn by observing others. Then there are still those who have to pee on the electric fence themselves.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The vast majority of people who get it fully recover.
The death rate is getting lower.
These are good things, but the media wants to keep people in panic mode.

·
Jeepaholic
5,571 Posts
Over 130k have died. Many who have had it and recovered are looking at very long roads to recovery...they are so deconditioned from the illness. They have feeding tubes now, can't walk, can't feed themselves, tracheostomies, etc. Many have had strokes, permanent lung scarring, multi-organ damage, and amputations secondary to ischemia related to blood clots. If you only look at numbers, it is only telling you part of the equation.

We don't know if the death rate is getting lower. We don't know the full number of people who have died from it, nor do we know the full number of people who are or have been positive for it. Testing still isn't where it should be. If death rates have gone down, it's because we've gotten better at the supportive care aspect. The drugs that we're using currently to actually treat the virus are only somewhat effective. We will only have good control when (if?) a vaccine becomes available that is safe and effective.

The media does what it does. The healthcare community is telling you the truth. This is serious. There is no need to panic, but there is a very real need to follow the precautions.

Look at how quickly Florida, Texas and Arizona are getting overwhelmed with patients. Their critical care beds are maxed out. You can't just take care of these patients on any unit. You need critical care staff, specialized equipment, and lots of PPE. If you run out of critical care beds, you're housing these patients on units where staff isn't trained or equipped to handle them. That puts the patients at a disadvantage because they can't get the level of care that they need...which can lead to negative outcomes, and the puts the staff at increased risk of exposure. If the staff get exposed, they go out on quarantine...leaving less of them to care for the patients, and some of them will become patients too, and for healthcare workers there is a much higher risk of a severe reaction due to the high viral exposure we get over a prolonged period of time.

I get it that people don't fully understand the situation. That's fine. But when the experts are telling you this is serious, and people are still discounting it and treating it like a hoax, it just ends up being willful ignorance at that point. That isn't directed at anyone here.

I'll admit that when the first info about this virus was coming out of China, I didn't really think much of it. It sounded like the flu, affecting the most vulnerable among us the most severely. Having had a broad experience now with this, I can absolutely say that this is much worse than the flu. Please take it seriously. Please don't find out the hard way....or your family members/friends.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I agree with you, Zagnut. My deal is that I'm going to listen to Tony Faucci and ignore the current administration. Our governor obviously doesn't care about the citizens here as he's STILL allowing Disneyworld and other various theme parks to open under "controlled conditions". My son drives a bus at Disney and went back to work this morning. He's scared and is seriously considering quitting because he doesn't think that Disney has taken the proper steps to protect him and his fellow employees. He's been looking at other jobs and may not be an employee of "The Happiest Place on Earth" for much longer. I can't blame him, but I don't want him to lose his car to repossession and ruin the credit he's worked so hard to get over the past four years. I just don't understand how our POTUS and state Governors can possibly think it's okay to open the public schools and send so many of our precious children towards a possible death sentence of the worst kind. God help us.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
He's scared and is seriously considering quitting because he doesn't think that Disney has taken the proper steps to protect him and his fellow employees.
Chuzz - what does he honestly think Disney should do? Aside from wearing masks, washing frequently or using sanitizer and social distancing what else can be done?

I just don't understand how our POTUS and state Governors can possibly think it's okay to open the public schools and send so many of our precious children towards a possible death sentence of the worst kind.
Let's keep it in perspective. For the moment the data indicates school age children (K-12) are the one group least affected. And it's not like most schools are going to directly back to the way it was pre-virus. I've read of some schools contemplating splitting the student population in half and each half attends school every other day. Or possibly half attend in the morning and half in the afternoon. A HS near where I graduated from in FL 40 years ago actually had to do that - half attended school from 7 am - 12 noon, and the other half from 1 pm - 6 pm. This was due to the school being too small for the student population.

We can't keep the children home forever and online learning for the younger ones (K-3) just doesn't go well. They need the social interaction. Plus there is always a percentage of folks who don't have internet access, or the access is slow (dial up) or they simply don't have a computer or other device to use.

The county I live in is very rural. Unless you have cable, internet access is only via satellite, dial up or DSL. FIOS is only in one development and Verizon has indicated they won't be expanding it to the rest of the county - they are waiting for 5G. Cable doesn't go everywhere - they won't run the cable unless there is a minimum number of houses in a specific area. HughsNet is a joke. If it's raining or snowing forget about connecting. Verizon is also no longer adding DSL customers. If you drop DSL and want to go back, tough luck.

Yes, there are risks, but there is a risk in everything we humans do. The trick is to minimize the risks.

·
Jeepaholic
5,571 Posts
I agree with you, Zagnut. My deal is that I'm going to listen to Tony Faucci and ignore the current administration. Our governor obviously doesn't care about the citizens here as he's STILL allowing Disneyworld and other various theme parks to open under "controlled conditions". My son drives a bus at Disney and went back to work this morning. He's scared and is seriously considering quitting because he doesn't think that Disney has taken the proper steps to protect him and his fellow employees. He's been looking at other jobs and may not be an employee of "The Happiest Place on Earth" for much longer. I can't blame him, but I don't want him to lose his car to repossession and ruin the credit he's worked so hard to get over the past four years. I just don't understand how our POTUS and state Governors can possibly think it's okay to open the public schools and send so many of our precious children towards a possible death sentence of the worst kind. God help us.
I’m not as concerned for the school-age children, as they are the age group with the lowest risk...however, that isn’t zero risk. Children have died from it too, as well as exhibiting strange inflammatory symptoms. But they can pass it to the teachers, aides, and all other employees who can then bring it home and share it with everyone they come into contact with too. We still don’t know if the lower infection rates and severe illness rates for young children are accurate, or if those numbers are lower because we’ve limited kids so much in where they can go and who they can see. The evidence so far either way is rather thin. If it’s not accurate, and schools open in the fall, we could end up with a disaster.

There’s still so much we don’t know and we are trying to figure out. As evidence comes out, guidelines are revised. And then a bunch of people get their knickers in a twist, “well, you said such and such before, but now you’re saying something different.” Yeah, cause that’s basically how science and research work. As new evidence comes to light, you revise your understanding.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Never in history have humans defeated a virus by hiding from it. And we never will. The lockdowns are over. We are slowly getting back to normal.
The truth disagrees with your assertion.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't think is an area that President Trump needs to get involved in, just to try and further his own agenda. He needs to leave this decision up to the local leaders and authorities that understand more what is going on within their own community. ;)

The very clear dangers of Donald Trump's push to reopen schools

"(CNN) President Donald Trump has found a new focus in his attempt to turn around his tumbling political fortunes: Force schools to reopen this fall even as coronavirus continues to rage in several regions of the country.

So we're very much going to put pressure on governors and everybody else to open the schools, to get them open."

The problem is that Trump is so focused on his political imperatives that he is losing sight of the bigger picture here: Forcing -- or pressuring -- schools to fully reopen will jeopardize the health of teachers and could well boomerang back on him from both a public health and political perspective.

And what Trump is ignoring here is the fact that schools weren't closed this spring primarily to protect kids. It was to protect teachers, many of whom, given their age, are at a significantly higher risk of death. Given what we knew (and know) about asymptomatic transmission of the virus, the concern was that kids would infect the adults tasked with teaching them -- and then those teachers would not only get sick themselves but also pass it along to others.

What Trump is asking of teachers may well turn out to be what he asked of health care workers in the early stages of this pandemic. To go into clearly dangerous situations without the proper tools -- mandatory mask wearing, fewer students per class, a staggered school week -- to protect themselves.

The reality is that school opening decisions are made by governors and local officials, not the President of the United States. And, even if schools do reopen, it's not at all clear that enough teachers will show up to make it feasible.

That Trump is willing to proceed with his damn-the-torpedos approach to school reopening in spite of the ongoing health concerns speaks to his priorities: Politics over people.

He needs normal back and reopening schools is a step toward that normal. So he's going to push for schools to reopen. Whatever the consequences."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics/donald-trump-teachers-school-coronavirus/index.html

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I think Anthony Fauci is a man we all need to listen to. Look at how long he's been a doctor and his experience. He's kind of been pushed aside and towards the rear because he keeps warning and telling the public the truth and the powers that be don't like that. Rather than fire him, they choose to overlook and ignore him. Believe it when he says this winter is going to be devastating. I trust the guy and am listening to his advice. Mask up, keep your distance and wash your hands, my friends. I'd sure hate to know that anyone here gets this stuff and doesn't make it. I consider my allpar associates family.
Oh, absolutely. If you don't like what he says, in a couple weeks he will say something you can agree with.

One thing that Houston forgets to tell everyone (in the MSM mostly), that 80 percent capacity of intensive care beds is because almost three months of near to building to emergency care are now going to the hospitals sicker than they should have been. Heck, I went the whole time, until July first with an abcess and a second root canal Tuesday when a filling came out and the dentists were all closed.

When hospital people and nurses are being laid off and some hospitals don't know how they will survive due to a lack of business. I know it is a real and serious virus, but the death rate is actually still dropping, more cases are not getting as sick as many originally were, so things are getting better even though the media pick and choose what is allowed and what is not. Peacefully meet to ask the governor to start opening the state, bad, but peacefully meet and then riots steal, burn, destroy, and hurt others, what was it, 600 "doctors" signing a letter that using Covid as an excuse not to be present means you are a racist. Selective good and bad, science doesn't apply.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I don't think is an area that President Trump needs to get involved in, just to try and further his own agenda. He needs to leave this decision up to the local leaders and authorities that understand more what is going on within their own community. ;)

The very clear dangers of Donald Trump's push to reopen schools

"(CNN) President Donald Trump has found a new focus in his attempt to turn around his tumbling political fortunes: Force schools to reopen this fall even as coronavirus continues to rage in several regions of the country.

So we're very much going to put pressure on governors and everybody else to open the schools, to get them open."

The problem is that Trump is so focused on his political imperatives that he is losing sight of the bigger picture here: Forcing -- or pressuring -- schools to fully reopen will jeopardize the health of teachers and could well boomerang back on him from both a public health and political perspective.

And what Trump is ignoring here is the fact that schools weren't closed this spring primarily to protect kids. It was to protect teachers, many of whom, given their age, are at a significantly higher risk of death. Given what we knew (and know) about asymptomatic transmission of the virus, the concern was that kids would infect the adults tasked with teaching them -- and then those teachers would not only get sick themselves but also pass it along to others.

What Trump is asking of teachers may well turn out to be what he asked of health care workers in the early stages of this pandemic. To go into clearly dangerous situations without the proper tools -- mandatory mask wearing, fewer students per class, a staggered school week -- to protect themselves.

The reality is that school opening decisions are made by governors and local officials, not the President of the United States. And, even if schools do reopen, it's not at all clear that enough teachers will show up to make it feasible.

That Trump is willing to proceed with his damn-the-torpedos approach to school reopening in spite of the ongoing health concerns speaks to his priorities: Politics over people.

He needs normal back and reopening schools is a step toward that normal. So he's going to push for schools to reopen. Whatever the consequences."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics/donald-trump-teachers-school-coronavirus/index.html
Yeah, its always the smear the presidential messenger.

I must have missed all the Coronavirus cases passed from child to adults.

How many children are missing much needed meals (not pointing fingers as to why they aren't being fed at home).

Sweden didn't have a problem with teachers and the under 15 being in schools.

Funny thing is, CNN puts this stuff out and things still, against their will and attempts, turn out right and they are, once again, wrong (all their staging of fake stuff and people in the backgrounds taking videos of them are a routine thing for them).

·
Jeepaholic
5,571 Posts
Oh, absolutely. If you don't like what he says, in a couple weeks he will say something you can agree with.

One thing that Houston forgets to tell everyone (in the MSM mostly), that 80 percent capacity of intensive care beds is because almost three months of near to building to emergency care are now going to the hospitals sicker than they should have been. Heck, I went the whole time, until July first with an abcess and a second root canal Tuesday when a filling came out and the dentists were all closed.

When hospital people and nurses are being laid off and some hospitals don't know how they will survive due to a lack of business. I know it is a real and serious virus, but the death rate is actually still dropping, more cases are not getting as sick as many originally were, so things are getting better even though the media pick and choose what is allowed and what is not. Peacefully meet to ask the governor to start opening the state, bad, but peacefully meet and then riots steal, burn, destroy, and hurt others, what was it, 600 "doctors" signing a letter that using Covid as an excuse not to be present means you are a racist. Selective good and bad, science doesn't apply.
Hospital intensive care units are full of their usual patient populations, yes. However, they are also seeing greatly increased numbers of COVID patients on top of that. This is exactly what I’ve said in many posts. Communities around the nation do not have enough intensive/critical care beds normally. Adding even modest numbers of COVID patients can easily push many of them to full capacity...and beyond.

Death rates are only dropping because we’re seeing higher percentages of younger people who are infected. They tend to do better, but still may need to be admitted to the hospital. However, because of the lag time for the incubation period for this virus, the CDC is predicting that the mortality rate will go back up coinciding with the increases in cases that we’ve been seeing and as more death certificates are processed. There’s always a lag with the data.

Things are not getting better, they’re getting worse especially because a large number of people can’t be bothered to wear a damn mask and socially distance.

·
Jeepaholic
5,571 Posts

How many children are missing much needed meals (not pointing fingers as to why they aren't being fed at home).

Funny thing is, CNN puts this stuff out and things still, against their will and attempts, turn out right and they are, once again, wrong (all their staging of fake stuff and people in the backgrounds taking videos of them are a routine thing for them).
Several states have reported cases of coronavirus attributed to spread in childcare facilities. It is absolutely not true that children cannot spread the virus. They tend to not get as sick...but they most definitely can spread it, and they can spread it to their teachers who would be much more at risk, in addition to anyone those teachers come into contact with. I don’t know where people keep getting the idea that kids can’t spread it. And we aren’t even sure if it’s true that children don’t get as sick. We’ve limited where children can go so much, that it’s dramatically limited their potential for exposure. So we don’t have that many cases to base a judgement upon one way or another...the supportive data is very thin.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
In MA, they report daily on new cases, deaths, percent of new cases that test positive, number of hospital beds taken by covid patients, and number of ICU beds taken by covid patients. This tells you what you need to know about it being under control. And they're doing a great job here. Percent testing positive has been under 2% for more than a week. Hospitalizations are down from over 900 in May to something like 150 now
And MA has done more testing than most states per capita, so you can't say it's because of increased testing.
And...the list of Infection Rates By State I ran into from beckershospitalreview.com clearly backs up what you've said.

There is no such thing as "good news" right now with this plague...but this was as close as I could come:

10 areas with slowest spread of COVID-19
1. Connecticut — 0.79
2. Washington, D.C. — 0.88
3. Maine — 0.89
4. Maryland — 0.96
Massachusetts — 0.96
New Hampshire — 0.96
Rhode Island — 0.96
5. Illinois — 1.0
New Jersey — 1.0

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Similar info is being reported by numerous sources, not just CNN.

Teachers are basically terrified to be put into an environment which could endanger their health, and the health of their family and friends should they become infected.

Sure, reopening schools could be a step towards some kind of "normalcy" but is it really in the best interest of all involved?

Everything to date is meant to practice social distancing. How is that going to be achieved in schools, when you put a bunch of kids into a small, enclosed environment, all interacting with each other? Kind of like germs in a small petri dish, and let's see what you get. ;)

Trump wants to reopen schools. Hint: It's not just about education.
Trump has ramped up a push to return children to the classroom as he tries to restore the economy for his reelection campaign.

Trump wants to reopen schools. Hint: It's not just about education. (at https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/08/trump-reopen-schools-353245 )

Trump Leans on Schools to Reopen as Virus Continues Its Spread
President Trump spearheaded an administration-wide push to pry open the nation’s elementary and secondary schools, the next phase of his effort to get the economy on its feet.

Trump Leans on Schools to Reopen as Virus Continues Its Spread (at https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/us/politics/trump-schools-coronavirus.html )

Trump demands that schools reopen, with parents caught in the crossfire
The problem is the half-in, half-out approach really sticks it to working parents, including those who now have to start returning to offices and workplaces.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-demands-that-schools-reopen-with-parents-caught-in-the-crossfire

Trump threatens to cut federal aid if schools don’t reopen

Trump threatens to cut federal aid if schools don't reopen (at https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-07-08/trump-threatens-to-cut-federal-aid-if-schools-dont-reopen )

·
Jeepaholic
5,571 Posts
Similar info is being reported by numerous sources, not just CNN.

Teachers are basically terrified to be put into an environment which could endanger their health, and the health of their family and friends should they become infected.

Sure, reopening schools could be a step towards some kind of "normalcy" but is it really in the best interest of all involved?

Everything to date is meant to practice social distancing. How is that going to be achieved in schools, when you put a bunch of kids into a small, enclosed environment, all interacting with each other? Kind of like germs in a small petri dish, and let's see what you get. ;)

Trump wants to reopen schools. Hint: It's not just about education.
Trump has ramped up a push to return children to the classroom as he tries to restore the economy for his reelection campaign.

Trump wants to reopen schools. Hint: It's not just about education. (at https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/08/trump-reopen-schools-353245 )

Trump Leans on Schools to Reopen as Virus Continues Its Spread
President Trump spearheaded an administration-wide push to pry open the nation’s elementary and secondary schools, the next phase of his effort to get the economy on its feet.

Trump Leans on Schools to Reopen as Virus Continues Its Spread (at https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/us/politics/trump-schools-coronavirus.html )

Trump demands that schools reopen, with parents caught in the crossfire
The problem is the half-in, half-out approach really sticks it to working parents, including those who now have to start returning to offices and workplaces.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-demands-that-schools-reopen-with-parents-caught-in-the-crossfire

Trump threatens to cut federal aid if schools don’t reopen

Trump threatens to cut federal aid if schools don't reopen (at https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-07-08/trump-threatens-to-cut-federal-aid-if-schools-dont-reopen )
I am absolutely nervous about sending our twins off to kindergarten in the fall. We’ve been fortunate enough to have a childcare provider that was able to stay open during the whole crisis, as they’re designated for essential personnel. They have to follow strict guidelines in order to stay open. All the staff wear masks, they have strict control over who can enter the buildings (parents generally aren’t allowed inside), temperature checks before entry, drop off and pick up of kids is done outside in the parking lot, frequent sanitizing, etc.

If schools all adhered to strict guidelines, then I’d be more comfortable about sending my kids. Most of the essential personnel at our kids current school are healthcare workers. We all know to take this seriously. At a public school, you get everybody including all the morons who don’t think this is a big deal and/or think wearing a mask is like a facehugger from Alien. At a private childcare facility, the staff have much more control. At a public school, it seems like the Wild West. We’re considering sending the kids to a private kindergarten instead.

People can do whatever they want when it’s just their life. When you’re endangering others, especially my family, by not doing what you’re supposed to, then I take a very dim view of their BS.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
RI is going to be a hotspot due solely to Newport, which is ignoring restrictions in the bars. However, most of those people are probably not locals, so maybe not.

NJ has been pretty strict all along, it's part of the Cuomo Confederacy.

Surprised Vermont isn't in there.

And...the list of Infection Rates By State I ran into from beckershospitalreview.com clearly backs up what you've said.

There is no such thing as "good news" right now with this plague...but this was as close as I could come:

10 areas with slowest spread of COVID-19
1. Connecticut — 0.79
2. Washington, D.C. — 0.88
3. Maine — 0.89
4. Maryland — 0.96
Massachusetts — 0.96
New Hampshire — 0.96
Rhode Island — 0.96
5. Illinois — 1.0
New Jersey — 1.0

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Just wondering where you got this information. Could you provide a source, please?

Reactions: tlc
821 - 840 of 888 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.