Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1994 LHS that has the common limp-mode and code 42, it was only $300 and really nice condition other than this problem and when not in limp-mode it rides very nice and transmission works perfectly. The transmission was rebuilt by Chrysler a few years back and has had many miles since with no problems he said until this and he just didnt want to deal with it. I noticed on the receipt is didn't say anything about solenoid pack replaced so I put a new one in since seems to be a common problem, the pan was clean and fluid nice. I added a new filter and proper fluid.
My buddy has a Solus scanner that we used to reset it, but code 42 keeps coming up. After checking all wiring connections and replacing speed sensors and having still same problem.
I am leaning towards TCM failure possible,
Is there a way to test just the TCM by itself, I cannot find any info on this in the Solus scanner, it just list it as a possibilty if nothing else fixes it. Or should I just install a new one? Kinda like throwing parts at it though.....more,
We asked our local dealer and they were not any help with this question at all. I think they thought I looked better behind the wheel of the brand new Challenger on the show room floor. :) I said no thanks, I have a `67 R/T that takes care of my speed fix when needed.
Thanks for any idea's in advance, and feel free to add your similar related problems to this thread I don't mind it might be helpfull.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Fault code 42 is the 2/4 clutch solenoid circuit here:

Code 41 to 44 - Solenoid circuit error
41- L/R
42- 2/4
43 - OD
44 - UD

When set: The controller has seen an electrical problem when it tested the solenoid circuit.

Possible Causes:
Opens or shorts in wiring between solenoid pack and controller.
Solenoid or controller connections
Bad controller
Solenoid pack

Electrical has to be ruled out first. Just replacing components is guesswork. A capable scan tool may offer more diagnostics.
The TCM is proved out to being the culprit ONLY by ruling out all other possible causes first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to check the connection on the TCM and I noticed the round plug on the cover was missing so I pulled it for inspection.

Not so good looking inside, lot's of cracking in the clear protector coating and one diode thingy was touching the aluminum casing and was all corroded. So I put a new TCM from Chrysler (rebuilt) and reset it with scanner.

Cross my finger's

Appreciate the input ImperialCrown

Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update after putting in a new TCM the car is running like a top. Shift great, these car's really do ride nice. My `94 New Yorker rode great but this one with the LHS decked out interior make is even nicer.

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts