Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the best forum for my PT. Has happened 3 times since I bought my 2003 PT from my neighbor 6 months ago. After driving over 100 miles in a day the check engine light comes on and engine stalls when coming to a stop. Connected my analyzer, 730, clutch/converter messed up. Clear and all runs really well, only drive around close by (Town Car) and never get the code. Got a feeling my neighbor had the wrong fluid put in. Any Help? when I look up the code it's a shotgun of problems.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I don't see a P0730 listed for your application. Do you mean P0740?
If you suspect the wrong fluid, don't hesitate changing it to ATF+4 with a new filter ASAP, but it may be too late.
The stalling is a bad sign. It means that the converter clutch is failing to unlock at stops and stalling the engine. This may be from clutch debris plugging the clutch release filter screen in the valve body, not allowing the clutch to release. If the converter clutch material is disintegrating (from wrong fluid?), then it will need replacement.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the best forum for my PT. Has happened 3 times since I bought my 2003 PT from my neighbor 6 months ago. After driving over 100 miles in a day the check engine light comes on and engine stalls when coming to a stop. Connected my analyzer, 730, clutch/converter messed up. Clear and all runs really well, only drive around close by (Town Car) and never get the code. Got a feeling my neighbor had the wrong fluid put in. Any Help? when I look up the code it's a shotgun of problems.
ImperialCrown is correct, I reset analyzer with my poor memory. I will change out the fluid, my neighbor (original owner) at one time had to have the PT towed because the trans went out. Fluid looks good but could be the wrong stuff. It was P0740

1 - 3 of 3 Posts