Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a source for combination valve parts, or a rebuild kit?

This is the combination proportioning/balancing valve with the brake fault switch on it, which hangs on rigid brake lines beneath the master cylinder.

I need to rebuild mine. I can't seem to find a source for a new or rebuilt valve, nor a rebuild kit or source of some of the special seals.

In particular, in the proportioning valve part, the piston for each side contacts a rubber seal down inside the bore, that is shaped like a thin rubber washer, textured with bumps, and has shoulder around the outer rim. I can't find anything like this on the web, or in rubber washer kits, or anything of the like. I had to remove the seals in order to clean the valve body thoroughly, but unfortunately between brake fluid and cleaner (used Sea Foam), the seal swelled enough that I can't get it back in place.

The vehicle itself is a 1993 Shadow ES with a 2.5L non-turbo, with non-ABS brakes, disc front, drum rear.

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
It is a discontinued and non-serviceable part. Google for 'Mopar 4485829' and use that part # in your search.
It was used in non-ABS, frt disc/rear drum 1992-1995 Shadow, Sundance, LeBaron 2-dr/conv and Daytona.
Ebay, obsolete and NOS parts houses may have one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If the earlier one from a 1986 LeBaron convertible will work, I have a good one left over from converting mine to four wheel disc brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved:

I discovered a great business and website, called Muscle Car Research (Muscle Car Research LLC (at https://www.musclecarresearch.com )), who specializes on seal kits for prop valves, distribution valves, and combination valves. His seals are the real thing - EPDM, the proper material for brake fluid. Their prices are very, very reasonable. I recommend this company to anyone needing brake hydraulic parts. They also carry some other hard-to-find parts.

They didn't have a kit for K cars, but the owner was kind enough to develop one for me, based on precision measurements of the critical features of my valve. I had already disassembled the valve, and so we did a teleconference, and I measured the features he asked for with calipers (professional grade dial calipers). Between his expertise in brake components and my training in measurements as an engineer, we obtained precise measurements, so he could up with a set of seals that work. He sent me the kit, and I installed it, and tested it with good results. No leaks, and the braking balances, left-to-right and front-to-back, all seem good. I've driven the car now for about two weeks.

The resulting kit is now available online:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-4485829-brake-valve-seal-kit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts