Allpar Forums banner

101 - 120 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The new software is definately beautiful. But it looks exactly like the new software at ChargerForum and ChargerForumZ. If they can bring back and fix the tech stuff and get the old search engine back, I guess I'm in. The forum is really just a small section of this site. It's the rest that really makes it special and useful.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Guys let's head to another board. Theres one based around MOPAR where they like to CHAT.

This site is now being run with the intention of making money only. Helping people find and discuss information is secondary. They're deleting posts if you suggest any other site by name, as if they are the only one on the internet. Very distasteful because over at the MOPAR site for CHATting, they actually used to suggest coming here for information not available there.

Let's see if they delete this one lol.
That's funny that you say that, because when I was on the site this morning, I had 106 replies, now I have 100, as reported for the Top Contributors this Month:

And I really don't care about my post count, I'm not trying to set any kind of record, but I am somewhat curious where 5 of my posts went from this morning? I haven't received any messages that any of my posts violated any forum rules. ;)

Also, I can't find anywhere under my profile where I can find all of my past posts, like I could on the "old" website. :cautious:

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Now that I've had a couple of days to try out the "update" I'm going to weigh in.

The new forum software is fine. It does seem faster, which is good.

The really disappointing part is that the old homepage is gone. The history articles and news there is what originally brought me to this site years before I signed up on the forum. I would really like to see that be brought back. While the articles are technically still available, my gut feeling tells me they will be lost our forgotten if they are just part of the forum.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Move on over to check out what a MOPAR person on the INSIDE 'R something like that, can tell you.
He's got the news (mostly) and the new models.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Guys let's head to another board. Theres one based around MOPAR where they like to CHAT.

This site is now being run with the intention of making money only. Helping people find and discuss information is secondary. They're deleting posts if you suggest any other site by name, as if they are the only one on the internet. Very distasteful because over at the MOPAR site for CHATting, they actually used to suggest coming here for information not available there.

Let's see if they delete this one lol.
What's up with the censorship, I've had 2 more of my posts disappear overnight :eek:

Again, I have received no messages that any of my posts violated any forum rules.

Last night I took this screenshot and it says that I had 101 replies for the month:

This morning, the count has been reduced by 2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It may have already been discussed--I can't be bothered to look through the rest of these threads--but there needs to be a way to make the default forum homepage the full forum listing. The "recommended for you" threads are largely things I don't care about. How about two new sections on the left sidebar of the full forum homepage: one for online users like we had before, and another for the top five most recently updated threads? Scrolling to the bottom for the latest posts is unintuitive. One of those sections can replace "top contributors for the months" because that's a completely useless metric.
You can, just change the link for accessing the site to Allpar Forums

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
What's up with the censorship, I've had 2 more of my posts disappear overnight :eek:

Again, I have received no messages that any of my posts violated any forum rules.

Last night I took this screenshot and it says that I had 101 replies for the month:

This morning, the count has been reduced by 2:

I think it's a difference in forum software. On the old board when a topic went bad and was deleted, it was really hidden and not deleted. So your posts were still there, just not visible.
It appears on the new board when a topic is deleted, it is really deleted.

Sometimes whole threads are deleted, good posts and bad posts, when the thread is one that's attracting way more bad attention than good.

PS: It's not censorship. It's posts (and sometimes whole topics) that violate the terms of service.

·
Registered
231 Posts
PS: It's not censorship. It's posts (and sometimes whole topics) that violate the terms of service.

You say tomato...

The site is run by people who went to business school and are running a business for max profit.

Guys it's done here let's move our traffic over to a MOPAR board where they let you CHAT.

If I can't get the information here why is it against the ToS to recommend a site where I can get what I need?

You can't monopolize forums.

Shame shame shame.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
You say tomato...

The site is run by people who went to business school and are running a business for max profit.

Guys it's done here let's move our traffic over to a MOPAR board where they let you CHAT.

If I can't get the information here why is it against the ToS to recommend a site where I can get what I need?

You can't monopolize forums.

Shame shame shame.
I don't own the forum, so I can't speak for them. But forums require a bit of investment. They aren't free, though most users consider it a free service. I consider it bad manners coming to one forum to try to move people to another forum.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't own the forum, so I can't speak for them. But forums require a bit of investment. They aren't free, though most users consider it a free service. I consider it bad manners coming to one forum to try to move people to another forum.
I disagree. Small mom n pop stores often recommend each other when one doesn't have what someone is looking for. This is my experience anyway.

Bad mannered is trying to pretend you're the only guy in the biz.

Besides, the amount and size of the ads here suggest there's enough money coming in.

Bad mannered business is just that. I'd have possibly become a contributing member if they didn't destroy the site and forums. I'm finally at a point where I'm shopping for parts but can't seem to get the information I need here. I don't see the incentive.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
It is sad and unfortunate to see over two decades' worth of journalism and encyclopedia-level content reduced to simple posts buried deep within the forum, as opposed to having an actual platform worthy of the time and effort that went into creating them. That's something you want to cultivate and show off, not just integrate into a forum and be done with it.

It was always going to be difficult merging the site and forum, I do not envy having to make those logistical decisions, but the result is less than satisfactory. The website was the entrance to Allpar; the content led one to the forums and to the community. Now, it seems like the backdoor. An afterthought.

I've long been hoping for improvements to the actual website and its formatting, to be "more," not less.

I like the new logo, though, so there's that.

·
Administrator
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Now that I've had a couple of days to try out the "update" I'm going to weigh in.

The new forum software is fine. It does seem faster, which is good.

The really disappointing part is that the old homepage is gone. The history articles and news there is what originally brought me to this site years before I signed up on the forum. I would really like to see that be brought back. While the articles are technically still available, my gut feeling tells me they will be lost our forgotten if they are just part of the forum.
The developers are actively working on improving finding the old content. I hope to see this improved early next week.

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The developers are actively working on improving finding the old content. I hope to see this improved early next week.

- Cricket
Easy way is to have historical articles randomly rotate on the home page!
Ok, I have mentioned this a few times.... Hope a way to do that is possible.
Thanks.

p.s. finding an old article requires you to have remembered the name of it
to again look it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts

- Cricket
This response doesn't inspire confidence.
Are you aware of the main complaint? There is no home page for news/historical articles. We don't want to search the forums for information that used to be readily available. You click on Allpar bookmark and start reading.
Now I click on the bookmark and I have to spend time searching. Not doing it. I'll come back next week and if the news/historical articles are not viewable, I'm done with this site.
Way to ruin this for Mopar fans. Maybe you should rename the forums Daimler.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
This is the third Mopar related site (the other two were Jeep only) I have frequented that have suffered negatively from new ownership. Those two Jeep sites are but a shell of their former selves. I hope the owners here listen to the users of this site. The owners of those Jeep sites didn't and unsatisfied users left. Hard to make money from advertising when no one visits your site.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is the third Mopar related site (the other two were Jeep only) I have frequented that have suffered negatively from new ownership. Those two Jeep sites are but a shell of their former selves. I hope the owners here listen to the users of this site. The owners of those Jeep sites didn't and unsatisfied users left. Hard to make money from advertising when no one visits your site.
It's not going back, they've spent money on this new format. The old homepage is gone and it's not coming back. You guys are experiencing with Allpar what I am going through with modern cars.

Hurts doesnt it?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So I'm on my phone cruising the forum, trying to read a thread, and bam, bombarded with ads that basically wipes out the entire post that I'm trying to read :mad:

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
It's not going back, they've spent money on this new format. The old homepage is gone and it's not coming back. You guys are experiencing with Allpar what I am going through with modern cars.

Hurts doesnt it?
On a whim I just now went to check on one of the two Jeeps sites I mentioned. Gone. I did find a message from a former administrator of the site. The company that bought it fumbled big time. Didn't know what they had, made a lot of changes and mismanaged it into the ground then killed it off.
The other one has died to just a forum. Hasn't had a new article for over a year and that was basically just an ad. Last real article was in 2017.

101 - 120 of 201 Posts