Allpar Forums banner

121 - 140 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
On a whim I just now went to check on one of the two Jeeps sites I mentioned. Gone. I did find a message from a former administrator of the site. The company that bought it fumbled big time. Didn't know what they had, made a lot of changes and mismanaged it into the ground then killed it off.
The other one has died to just a forum. Hasn't had a new article for over a year and that was basically just an ad. Last real article was in 2017.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guys.

This corporate cookie cutter stuff has to go away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I have to add to what other people have said here -- I have been a daily visitor for more years than I can remember. And I have never seen a great site get so thorougly destroyed by a redesign in my life.

The forum software could have been changed without a total website redesign. There are so many problems and bad decisions made here that I don't know where to begin.

What a shame.

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc.regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Got parts?
2,603 Posts
What happened to Best Answer? I want to award one for a solution to a problem, but I don't see that selection.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
The developers are actively working on improving finding the old content. I hope to see this improved early next week.

- Cricket
The fact it has to be found speaks volumes..

You should really just admit it if it was all deleted.. y'all flubbed it, regardless.

Forums are already a dying breed thanks to social medias ability to answer questions quickly if not correctly. This doesn't help.

Btw: if you guys can't find it, how the hell were we supposed to??!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree......................where the hell is the rest of the site...................all the historical stuff??????????????????
THIS!
I will put in my thoughts too. The big problem here is that people came to Allpar for MOPAR news and articles. The forums were an afterthought that rarely got used. I think you would have had less complaining if you had just gotten rid of the forums from the "old" site and kept all of the news and articles. Less than 1/10 of the visits that I made to the Allpar site did I even check the forums to see if there was anything new there.
And THIS!
The developers are actively working on improving finding the old content. I hope to see this improved early next week.

- Cricket
You guys are NOT getting it! We want ALLPAR HOME PAGE back. The ONLY positive change with this new format is article comments are in forum and not another externality.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts

You should really just admit it if it was all deleted.. y'all flubbed it, regardless.

Forums are already a dying breed thanks to social medias ability to answer questions quickly if not correctly. This doesn't help.

I just noticed that the old URLs work again.

Hence this should work:

History of Chrysler Corp, Dodge, and AMC/Jeep
Some key sections
Full-brand histories
Technologies

Vehicle types
Historically significant vehicles and projects
The Walter P. Chrysler Museum
Fame
Engineering and design
Engineering and design notes for specific cars
Memories and stories
Bits and pieces
If you are interested in the history of a particular car, please see the vehicles page. Also see our section on Chrysler corporate facts and history, which includes notes on culture, branding and sales, suppliers, recovery plans, acquisitions (e.g buying Dodge Brothers), and other “corporate” information.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not all of them still work, got this on several, but someone would have to check each and every one to see what is still available:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

They always say that anything on the internet is there forever. What was lost should still be out there, somewhere

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I may have missed it, but were there any requests for input from site/forum users regarding this change before the redesign to see what things users would like to see, if any? If not, the whole thing just feels like a "we know what's best for you" approach. Seeking input after the fact is only inviting the kind of blowback that's being received.

And yeah, the flashing, resizing advertisements make my eyes burn.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The 5th Gen Rams and Mopar Insiders sites both have news pages for their homepages. Why is was thought to get rid of the news home pages was a good idea on Allpar, makes me want some of the stuff the site gurus were smoking so I better understand the logic,.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The 5th Gen Rams and Mopar Insiders sites both have news pages for their homepages. Why is was thought to get rid of the news home pages was a good idea on Allpar, makes me want some of the stuff the site gurus were smoking so I better understand the logic,.
I didn't want to say it, but this is true

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The old Allpar homepage with its articles and such was the draw. Just sucking that into a forum format will not be effective.

Reactions: page2171

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

- Cricket
Cricket, why do you continue to tell these lies on every single site you and your VerticalScope other crew members destroy? I give you credit, because there is no way I could deal with the verbal lashing you recieve on literally every single one of these VS XenForo migrations. You guys absolutely massacred Pirate4x4, now it's effectively abandoned. OverClock.net is hemorrhaging active users. Since I see the same VS names on every single one of these VS migrations, there's gotta' be what, 4, maybe 5 of you in the office to run nearly a thousand forums?

To other viewers of AllPar: I've seen this very same migration happen across many other VS owned websites. Tons of promises from VS admin that they're going to "listen to our feedback", "implement changes" and "restore all the articles". Spoiler: They won't. You'll get a half-assed conversion of all the front page articles into forum/topic posts, but that's it.

VerticalScope has been losing millions of dollars every quarter, cutting salaries and firing employees. The reality is VS has a handful of people to run about a thousand forums, and simply don't have the resources to give individual attention to each one. They're hemoraghing users to other sites with vibrant social communities like Reddit and Facebook groups. Their solution to that is to strip every single one of their sites of their identity, cram the same exact site template down the throat of every single one of their users, and then fill each site with as many obnoxious ads as they possibly can. Then they're like "Gee, why are we losing users and ad-revenue?"

"Our proportionate share of VerticalScope's Adjusted EBITDA was down $0.7 million, resulting from lower revenues associated with year over year declines in search related traffic which were only partially offset by lower salaries and benefits and other cost reductions."
". At VerticalScope, we incurred a net loss of $7.2 million, which included $8.2 million of noncash amortization. On a 100% basis, revenue at VerticalScope of $15.2 million in the first quarter declined 19% as revenues continue to be impacted by the transition of sites to a new platform and, to a lesser extent, the impact of algorithm changes on search-related traffic."

Insanity. Like I and many others said years ago when VS bought AllPar - they will eventually destroy it. The one who I feel really bad for is Dave - literally decades of hard work thrown completely away.

·
Got parts?
2,603 Posts
Under "Recommended Communities", I clicked on AVS, thinking that it might be related to the Carter 4-bbl used on higher-output Mopar motors from the '68 through '71 model years. WRONG! It has something to do with home entertainment systems. The other two links were also unrelated to Mopars, or any vehicles, or any type of transportation. Why are such links featured on a Mopar site?

Also, the "Recommended For You" title isn't accurate; it should be changed to something like Recent Posts. That's what I recommend.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Under "Recommended Communities", I clicked on AVS, thinking that it might be related to the Carter 4-bbl used on higher-output Mopar motors from the '68 through '71 model years. WRONG! It has something to do with home entertainment systems. The other two links were also unrelated to Mopars, or any vehicles, or any type of transportation. Why are such links featured on a Mopar site?

Also, the "Recommended For You" title isn't accurate; it should be changed to something like Recent Posts. That's what I recommend.
When you click on any of these "Recommended Communities" which as previously mentioned HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MOPAR go to the bottom of the screen and look who they belong to :rolleyes:

And click on any of these other sites, and they all have the exact same cookie cutter layout :eek:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cricket, why do you continue to tell these lies on every single site you and your VerticalScope other crew members destroy? I give you credit, because there is no way I could deal with the verbal lashing you recieve on literally every single one of these VS XenForo migrations. You guys absolutely massacred Pirate4x4, now it's effectively abandoned. OverClock.net is hemorrhaging active users. Since I see the same VS names on every single one of these VS migrations, there's gotta' be what, 4, maybe 5 of you in the office to run nearly a thousand forums?

To other viewers of AllPar: I've seen this very same migration happen across many other VS owned websites. Tons of promises from VS admin that they're going to "listen to our feedback", "implement changes" and "restore all the articles". Spoiler: They won't. You'll get a half-assed conversion of all the front page articles into forum/topic posts, but that's it.

VerticalScope has been losing millions of dollars every quarter, cutting salaries and firing employees. The reality is VS has a handful of people to run about a thousand forums, and simply don't have the resources to give individual attention to each one. They're hemoraghing users to other sites with vibrant social communities like Reddit and Facebook groups. Their solution to that is to strip every single one of their sites of their identity, cram the same exact site template down the throat of every single one of their users, and then fill each site with as many obnoxious ads as they possibly can. Then they're like "Gee, why are we losing users and ad-revenue?"

"Our proportionate share of VerticalScope's Adjusted EBITDA was down $0.7 million, resulting from lower revenues associated with year over year declines in search related traffic which were only partially offset by lower salaries and benefits and other cost reductions."
". At VerticalScope, we incurred a net loss of $7.2 million, which included $8.2 million of noncash amortization. On a 100% basis, revenue at VerticalScope of $15.2 million in the first quarter declined 19% as revenues continue to be impacted by the transition of sites to a new platform and, to a lesser extent, the impact of algorithm changes on search-related traffic."

Insanity. Like I and many others said years ago when VS bought AllPar - they will eventually destroy it. The one who I feel really bad for is Dave - literally decades of hard work thrown completely away.
I'm fully expecting "someone" with full forum administrator privileges to come along and lock this thread and/or delete it. The reason will be that "they" don't want to have any negativity or bashing of the forum that might drive off any possible new members.

Reactions: Patrick M

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm fully expecting "someone" with full forum administrator privileges to come along and lock this thread and/or delete it. The reason will be that "they" don't want to have any negativity or bashing of the forum that might drive off any possible new members.
Nah, VS is pretty good about leaving these posts up. They're used to it now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nah, VS is pretty good about leaving these posts up. They're used to it now.
So basically then "they" won't be listening to the members, but the members will be stuck with the status quo of the "new and improved" forum ;)

In other words, we're screwed and you can either accept the "new" forum, or leave :rolleyes:

121 - 140 of 195 Posts