Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dose any one know if performing a compression test results will vary on a la block weather or not the intake manifold is off or on?, the engine is out of the vehicle some what stripped down with the intake off

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks, thats what I thought, looks like we got a problem here then, so next question, if there is two notches on the top of each pistin,(machained notches)is this a normal mark on a 360la or dose this mean they are already .020 over?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I cant do it warm as the engine is out and partially dissassembled but two cyls are drasticly low, yes they are beside each other, and no it isnt a head gasket, popped off the head just to be sure then inspected and lapped valves, then re-installed and re-tested with same results, did a wet test and both went up by 35lbs, tried a light hone while head was off also thats when I noticed the notchs, think we will be going .020 over here now,not a happy day!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt mic the cyls, and this motor was sitting a while, I think it was washed before being stored and a bit of water entered one cyl which layed at one side, not much but enough to rust the wall enough that when the hone when over it although it cleaned things up nicely, a small amount of a roughness was left on one area of the side of the wall, I think this was enough? although ironicly both adjacent clys are low enen though the one beside it looked good?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well we might pop that piston out to inspect the rings but what I dont want to do is just patch it up, I would hate to re-ring just to find out the compression got only mildly better, sadly I think this is one for the machine shop

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok,that's good info, not sure when I will get back to this as we are readying the 318 for install again as the original plan went, as this needs to be ready for car show season then its back to the 360

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.