Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 pt cruiser does the engine have to be pulled out to replace timing belt. Was cruising along and engine just shut off . No running issues or anything prior to shutdown .Mechanis says engine has top be pulled to do it and also any other issues that he may not be telling me
Paul

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Poppycock. The right splash shield and motor mount comes off and it can be performed. I would get your car away from this guy ASAP.
The 2.4L is also a non-interference (piston-to-valve) design, so any engine damage from a broken timing belt is very unlikely.
Flat rate repair time is about 5.5 hours.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Agree with ImperialCrown 100%. I've changed the belt 3 times, and you do not have to pull the engine.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
It's a PITA to change, but it's not NEARLY that big of a PITA... Three friends with PTs have had their timing belts go, none had any damage requiring the head to be pulled.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Even if the belt is broken, since the PT Cruiser has been around for more than a decade, if after all this time this is their first one to work on, find someone else with a little more experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm with Dave and checking for a engine code for a electronic malfunction 1st.

You might have a bud key the starter and you look down the front of the timing cover to see the belt for movement and it's tension. There's not much visible but it is actually seeable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the timing belt it was shredded .He replaced as you guys stated pulled right tire wheel and inner fender to do job Charged $500.00 and now the airbag light is on

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Glad you got it going again for a more fair and reasonable charge. You can disconnect the battery to see if the Airbag code resets (reset your clock afterwards).
If the light comes back, a fault code is stored in the airbag (passive restraint) module. An advanced scan tool may be needed to read the code.
Would the guy who just did the belt be able to get the code for you if necessary? Write down the fault code number and description.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts