Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Pennsylvania and since my car is officially 25 years old I can get antique license plates for it. However there are some restrictions such as occasional driving, what does that mean?

The upside of this if I get antique plates, I will not have to take the car for inspection every year which is required in Pennsylvania and a pain in the butt. That would save me some money every year not having to get it inspected.

Should I or shouldn't I get antique plates?

·
King
3,488 Posts
I did It for my 88 Daytona last month.
It cost about $90 for custom HISTORIC plates.
NO more inspections.
you must renew your registration every 3 years and it is Free.

Now the Insurance is a different topic all together.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
In MA, it's a little different. It would cut my insurance from about $480 a year to $160 or so. The antique plate registration is more, it's $45 a year, vs the regular fee of $50 every two years - so almost double. It still requires a safety inspection at $29 a year.

It can be used "only for exhibitions, parades, car club functions, and other public events." That's why I don't do it. They might never know, but I want the option of using it anytime, anywhere. I often commute to work with it in good weather for fun, or if my daily driver is down.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It depends on the state laws, as you can see they vary quite a bit. Also have to be careful of the laguage, sometimes there are differences between "classic", "historic" & "antique". But if your state's language is as vague as "occasional driving", I would go for it. But if you're putting 10K+ miles on it a year it's a bit more than occasional, but then that also depends on how often and if and how they check on that.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Must be nice... In Arizona the Historic Vehicle plates are just another choice of plate, but just for older cars and with less characters available for vanity options.

·
Registered
342 Posts
NJ initial cost of plates is $44 (personalized plates are $50 more), Registration every 3 years at no fee for renewal. No inspection required. No inspection sticker requires on windshield.

NJ application: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/SP-121.pdf

NJ historic plate help guide: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/historic-samples.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amendment to NJ Bill 463 that permits historic cars to display rear licence plate only: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/9899/Bills/a0500/463_i1.pdf

Keep a copy of the amendment in the glove compartment in case the police pull you over for not having a front plate in NJ.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
I found a pair of NY 1962 plates in my great uncle's garage. He never threw anything away just like me.
I have a 1962 Lark Daytona V8 that I have put them on. NY DMV will let you do this with a good color photo of the plates and filling out an application to wear them.
$10 NYS safety inspection is yearly.
The Antique Auto insurance is $60 a year. I am restricted to 'to and from' car shows and club events. The car is not a daily driver, but might appear at an ice cream stand occasionally in nice weather.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
You should also consider getting replacement value insurance.

The book value of a typical "old car" is considerably lower than the replacement value of an "antique" that is cared for.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
A good appraisal is necessary. I have kept printouts of the value of my car, pending getting it appraised. NADA Collectible says it's worth about $4,000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts