Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I aquired a set of very nice looking stock silver 91, 15" Shadow ES wheels. I have decided to used 205x60-15's, just which flavor.

I am considering the following but am open to other suggestions:

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A
Cooper Cobra GT
Firestone Champion HR
Goodyear Eagle GT
Kelly Charger GT

It would be nice if they complimented the 90 Sundance's looks and performance goals. They MUST handle well in cool rainy condtions and will not see temps below 50 degrees F. The primary use will be commuting approximently 150 miles a day, safely. They are all near 50k rated, hopefully accurately.

This car will never see the track but may experience the metamorph to the 150 hp arena (ie, turbo).

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
I went with the Firestone Firehawks on my '92 Shadow sedan. The raised white letters gave it a Hi-Performance look. More dressed than plain black sidewalls and sportier than whitewalls which are now passé.
I'm sure that there are many different opinions on which tire should be your best choice. You are kind of asking a loaded question.

http://www.tireintel.com/tire/43900

·
Registered
83 Posts
i was recently looking for a good inexpensive all season tire for my wife's 2002 mazda protege5 and bought these tires (FUSION Touring) from tirerack. click on 'Surveys' for comparison info. i'm very happy with them

http://tinyurl.com/b98hqma

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
My car had Fusion tires on it when I bought it. The sidewalls were horribly cracked so that I threw them away, even with tread left.

I recommend Michelin Hydroedge, which are excellent in the rain and snow, and all around great handling. They might be getting hard to find in 15" now. Michelins always give a firm ride but excellent handling and always give me 100K miles.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
I've found the Firestone Affinity's to be good in wet/dry conditions. Replaced the Kumho's on our Journey with them. 10K logged so far and no problems. The Affinity's are warranted for 70K miles. The Kumho's were okay - good wet/dry traction, but were worn out by 40K miles.

I had Firehawks on our old '00 T&C Ltd. Had only 15K-20K on them when we traded the van in. As I recall they wore well and had good wet/dry traction.

The OEM Michelin MV4 (?) on my Ram were very good and long lasting. Replaced them at 111K miles with Firestone Destination LE's. Would have gone with Michelins again but they were too rich for my wallet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm currentlly running Falken Zeix ZE-512's on the Lebaron. They are a 40,000 mile tire. My first choice was the Eagle GT, I had them on my Mazdaspeed 6 and loved them. The bad part not very many tire dealers carry 205-60-15s in stock anymore so I went with the Falkens which all the Discount Tires around me stock them. Had them on the car for about 300 miles and so far I like them. Besides, I couldn't beat the price!!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
My car had Fusion tires on it when I bought it. The sidewalls were horribly cracked so that I threw them away, even with tread left.

I recommend Michelin Hydroedge, which are excellent in the rain and snow, and all around great handling. They might be getting hard to find in 15" now. Michelins always give a firm ride but excellent handling and always give me 100K miles.
+1 I have then in 225/50/18 on my Avenger and I love then. I bought them on Bob's recommendation I didn't want to spent $1100 on tires but then a few weeks later I looked again and the price fell dramatically. I ended up paying 630 for the set from discount tire with a mail in rebate.
Good luck
Mick

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ImperialCrown; I am not in persuit of disharmony, disagreeing on tire performance is what I want to hear but only to learn your opinoions not for fueding fodder.
I like Firehawks very much; they are the second stickiest street legal drag tires I have ever used. Used them on the former spoise's 4 gen F-chicken...very good traction even down to the wear limit.
Duncan1437; thank you for your response, a Protege 5 is a similar sized vehicle and very sport oriented.
Bob Lincoln; the only Michelins that are available through my distributor are the Energy Saver A/S and the Primacy MXM4's, I will take a second look at both as 100k is a desirable outcome no matter what.
Doug D; I share you flair for Firehawks and hear another plug for hi-mileage M's.

1991spirites; thanks, that is good info from a similar weight vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
Sometimes with Michelin and some other big name tires, it may be worth the cost of joining a warehouse club like Sam's Club for their prices.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My Spirit has Michelins on it, I think they're 195's, and I'm very satisfied. Handling is sure-footed and they seem to wear well. Michelins have also done well on our '05 Caravan, as opposed to the Bridgestones I believe the car came with. I know the Spirit's tires have an X on them, but other than that, I have no idea what "model" they are. My uncle put them on shortly before turning the car over to me, and he said that the price was very reasonable when he bought them, that would have been probably 2009.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I put Michelin hydro edge (upsized) on my Neon R/T at 53.000 miles and when I sold it at 125,000 they still looked new, plus they handled like the car was on rails, any time of year.

They are worth going out of your way for.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have MXMV4s on my grand caravan they are a great tire they are wearing a bit but they carry over 5,000lbs with just me in the van.
Mick

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
pSun said:
ImperialCrown; I am not in persuit of disharmony, disagreeing on tire performance is what I want to hear but only to learn your opinoions not for fueding fodder.
I like Firehawks very much; they are the second stickiest street legal drag tires I have ever used. Used them on the former spoise's 4 gen F-chicken...very good traction even down to the wear limit.
Duncan1437; thank you for your response, a Protege 5 is a similar sized vehicle and very sport oriented.
Bob Lincoln; the only Michelins that are available through my distributor are the Energy Saver A/S and the Primacy MXM4's, I will take a second look at both as 100k is a desirable outcome no matter what.
Doug D; I share you flair for Firehawks and hear another plug for hi-mileage M's.

1991spirites; thanks, that is good info from a similar weight vehicle.
Not sure where you are shopping, but most tire shops can get what you want, or you can find one that does. Tirerack.com shows Michelin Hydroedge with GreenX in 205/60R-15, rated 800 A B. I paid about $668 for 4 tires a year or two ago, including 4 new valve stems, balancing and mounting, disposal and shop fees, and RoadHazard warranty, and tax.

I suggest NOT getting Michelin Harmony. That's the one tire they make that wore out early and was mushy. Only got 46K miles out of a set on my wife's Camry.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
A couple other online sites to check are:

www.discounttiredirect.com

www.discounttire.com

Costco might be a good place if you have a membership. We had a membership at one point and I recall tires prices being very reasonable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Valiant67; yes the Michi's are a few bucks more. The bulk of the info on the "Defender, Hydroedge and Primacy" is very hogh mileage; my primary concern is wet weather safety- I am part of a discount club, so I heat that.
B10alia; sounds good for Michi's.
JTE; I realy like what you are saying about the "Hydroedge", the fact that the word water is in the name is inspiring. I have problems with wheelspin on cold days, let alone when it is wet (78-83% of the time).
Mike M; the MXM4's look like an old BFGoodrich KDWS, which was a spectacular performance tire.
Bob Lincoln; I recheced and was incorrect, my outlet does carry or can get any tire and the Hydroedge is looking very strong.
Doug D; thanks for the links.

Here is where I am standing, all prices include mountin, lifetime balance and road hazard warranty:

-Goodyear GT's for agressive driving and economics; $328.4.
-Michelin Hydroedge for high mileage and wet driving; $385.6..
-Michelin Primacy MXM4's for great ride decent mileage and loking like a KDWS; $537.6.

From what I have read about the Goodyears, well the jury is out; half say they hookup in wet as good as dry the other half say that they are slipery on dry pavement, the only thing consistant across the board is that I won't get the claimed 50k from them.
If the Hydroedge are halfway decent on dry but good when it's wet and get even half way to their claimed 90k, I am either a fool or died-in-wool goodyearMAN?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I have typically gotten 60K-80K out of Goodyear Integrity tires. They have a comfortable ride, handle OK, but they break loose easily on wet pavement. The Hydroedge have not broken loose yet. In fact, in snow they're as good. A car stopped and turned in front of me, and I accelerated in 5th gear at 35 mph on snow, and the car pulled straight ahead, evenly and smoothly, no slipping on any wheel, no skidding.

That's an excellent price. They were over $150 each for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob Lincoln; I feel pretty good about the price too, especially since that is. Including tax out the door.

Finally able to take the Daytona for a drive today. After cheerful spin of mild twisting, I may need to amend my plan and put the Hydroedges on the Daytona in 225x50-15 and swap it's old rubber to the Sundance. they are Cooper Cobra GT's and they break free way too easy on dry pavement under the Shelby!

An yone have any thoughts about 225x50-15's on the Plymouth?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. They're available at Sears and they have been on sale recently through Sears OnLine. I've had several sets of the 205/55R16's and two sets of the 205/60R15's. They last well in excess of 70,000 miles, run true and require very little balance weight. They're also very quiet even when worn down unlike a set of Bridgestone G19 Grids that were so noisy that I replaced them at under 10K miles.No complaints with traction even in moderate snow and no flats.

I've been driving LeBarons since 1990 and have racked up over 400,000 miles in them. Some with 15" wheels and some with the 16" wheels. I've not had a single complaint or failure from the Michelins.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts