Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone. I used to have a 1987 Mazda B2200, and for 10 years loved everything about it except for it being severely under powered. So, since I have a 1993 D100 that runs good but is in terrible shape and headed for the scrapyard, I thought I would possibly pick up a cheep Mazda with a bad motor (or no motor at all) and swap the 318 w/5 speed manual trans into it. The Mazda that i'm considering is the older, smaller body style with a torsion bar front end. I was thinking of putting in air ride shocks in place of the weaker torsion bars, but not sure about the rearend. So, my question is: Will this project be more work than it is worth, or can this project be done mostly with parts from the donor truck and parts scavenged from the junk yard. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It is a very doable project. Since the clutch should be hydraulic, shouldn't be an issue setting that up, use the setup in the D100. Pull out your tape measure and check a few items, like exhaust clearance at the frame, rear end should hold up fairly well, not too many that narrow that are easy to find, but should last a little while at least. From there, it has been done before, a search online should help you find some more clues of things to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
There is about the same amount of work. The rear end should hold up to a 318, engine and trans to retrofit, electric radiator fan usually needed to fit the engine between the firewall and radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts