Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife's 2014 Charger SXT isn't blowing cold air like it once did. It only has 50,000 miles on it and cold AC is a must in South Louisiana. It only blows at about 60F on MAX Cold using a pencil thermomete inserted into the center console vent in 81F degree cloudy weather at highway speeds and hotter at ldle. I think 45F is a more reasonable vent discharge temperature.

Unfortunately it has the new R1234YF refrigerant and I've had no luck finding anyone other than the dealership that works with the new Freon. I'm sure the dealership knows this and will bend me over on any repairs. The new 1234YF freon is very expensive but 12 ounce cans are available on Amazon. I've considered buying a can and the necessary fittings (less than $100 total) and just adding some to see if it helps. The new stuff is flammable and I'm a little concerned about leaks inside the cabin, but I'm sure the leak is small so it's probably not an issue.

Has anyone tried evacuating the R1234YF and recharging with R134A? I've heard it's possible as Cadillac switched back to 134a after a short trial with 1234 on a few models back in 2014 with no hardware modifications.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have you taken the vehicle to a dealership or certified A/C repair shop to see what it would cost to repair the vehicle properly?

If you are low on refrigerant (which is not new Freon), you must have a leak that would have to be repaired first.

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
Ditto. If you are experiencing poor performance in a car that new, you almost certainly have a leak, and are simply postponing the inevitable by refilling it. And doing so just allows the possibility of air and moisture getting in, causing more expensive failures down the line. And you don't really know how much to add, because you don't know how much is lost. Best to have a pro service it.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,797 Posts
Agree with the above. At a minimum you should have a pro service it and have them check for leaks - sometimes by adding freon with a dye to better isolate and locate the leak. Then the leak can be fixed by replacing hoses or other components.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Never guess or shotgun any A/C repair.
Get the right answer first, then decide what needs to be done about it.
It may not have anything to do with refrigerant levels or leaks.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
While a leak is possible, I think a problem with the blend door is more likely in a vehicle this new. Is there a recalibration that can be done by the owner?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My 2014 Grand has UV dye from the factory - though it does use R134a still. That being said though, your Charger likely has dye and you can use a UV light to look for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Even without a UV lamp, the refrigerant carries the oil around the system with it and will leave behind an oily spot where the leak is. The dye may appear light green without the phosphorescence assistance of UV.

·
Administrator
35,539 Posts
The new stuff is flammable and I'm a little concerned about leaks inside the cabin, but I'm sure the leak is small so it's probably not an issue.
FWIW, all refrigerant, as it leaks out, is mixed with oil and is likely flammable regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts